What Is The Better Way To Go...... Kayak or Boat ?

I would like some advise on buying a Kayak or Boat, I have been thinking about this for a few months now but not sure if a kayak will sute my size/weight. Im 6ft 115kg and dam good looking..... :whistle:

I like to do alot off Bass/Bream/Flathead fishing but not sure if a kayak is going to be to much hassle to transport then setup compared to a boat. Do people that own kayak's buy them because they can't afford a boat or because its a better way to fish having more ''stealth'' involved when fishing.

Would like some advise on Brand/Make that would sute my size/weight for fishing, must have good stability for fishing.

PS- My budget is $2,500.00 max

Your thoughts would be much appreciated ;)

Cheers

Darren

You could get a damn good kayak fully set up for less than your budget that will do everything you want it to. On the other hand you could find a small tinny secondhand that may or may not need work and blow your budget right out of the water. For me a kayak was the way to go as it is easily transported and stored, and I don't need to worry about fuel, rego, servicing, insurance and so on. If you have a look around you will find a lot of kayaks that will suit you needs, and you can usually find a second hand bargain too. Don't worry too much about your size, I am 5'11" and 116kg and have no dramas in kayaks that are only rated to 110kg.

Tough call and really at the end of the day it comes down to what's going to be most suited to you.

There is positives about ease of storage and transport for a kayak along with limited maintenance costs, but realistically its a one person ride.

Small boat even if electric powered and on a box trailer still has some upkeep and greater handling issues unless its on a boat trailer which then you have to look at rego. But on the up side you could take a mate out fishing with you.

If it was me I would buy a boat and then later on a kayak.

At least with a boat you can fish most weather and water conditions,travel greater distances,stand up and move around the boat,carry more gear including crab pots ect, and take your fishing mates as well and if on a proper boat trailer quicker and easier to launch and retrieve than a yak.

Yaks and canoes are great but I could only ever own one as a second vessel to have access to some of the skinny water.

You really need to have a think about usage and what you will use it for as they are very different, I have owned both and seriously cannot beat the yak for small water bassing, the whole stealth factor is unbeatable but being stuck some where when the wind blown up ya can't beat a tinny for letsgetthefuckouttahere thing. Both have major plusses and minuses

Cheers

Just buy both amd be done with it ;)

This is what i was looking at buying but im not 100% sure yet........... there's so many kayaks out there and i want to make sure i buy the best one for my weight/size, stability and room to fish is what im after in a kayak. I do like the look of the Hobie but wow the $$$$$$$$ :ohmy:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Powered-Fishing-Kayak-Peekaboo-angler-55lb-Minnkota-2011-model-ONLY-1-LEFT-/320846427562?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Watercraft&hash=item4ab3eff5aa

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Kayak-Minnkota-12v-TORQUE-Pro-Package-/320845837936?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Watercraft&hash=item4ab3e6f670

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tarpon-120-Deluxe-Angler-Single-OCEAN-FISHING-Kayak-/110791724339?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Watercraft&hash=item19cbb38d33

Cheers

Darren

Have you done much yak fishing? Its not for everyone. I'm with Jeff, I've got a boat and 3 yaks and the boat is definitely left out. I need to start using it a bit more often, the yaks are far easier to deal with.

No i can't say i have done any yak fishing before, done lots of jetski & boat fishing before but in saying that i have always wanted to get up in the hard to fish places where a boat/wife can't get to ;)

Look like alot of fun :)

Cheers

Darren

To be honest I am not a fan of motors on kayaks as it is a lot of extra weight and extra set up time. Be better off finding a second hand outback with turbo fins, you'll get along at a fair clip and it doesn't take a lot of power to get them moving along nicely. Like most are saying the ideal situation is a tinny and a yak but with your budget I reckon you can't go too far wrong if you get your hands on an outback, for the type of fishing you say you'll be doing then there really is no need for a tinny. If you do look at the powered kayaks just keep in mind the weight and how easy it will be to paddle back to your launch spot if the battery or motor dies.

i have always wanted to get up in the hard to fish places where a boat/wife can't get to ;)

Go the yak then.

Apart from E-bay do you know of any kayak stores that do good deals and are reasonable with there prices ?

PS- I will google search for kayak stores on the Gold Coast & Brisbane areas, just thought i would ask if you know of any you can recommend.

Cheers

Darren

That yak that Dino is selling would suit you well, it's the right size for a big bloke like yourself and Dino pretty much spit polishes any gear he owns.

Kayaking is a great way to fish, I have a boat and kayaks and honestly the boat hasn't seen the water in a year. I decide to go bassin, I throw the yak on the roof racks and I'm gone within 15 minutes. I can access some of the gnarliest looking skinny water to chase fish and I'm loving it.

Never had a boat but give the Kayak a big +

Its handy you can just chuck it on the roof and go.. No petrol(other than for your car), Get fit, Find your own little spot x on google maps no rego to pay etc etc. Having said that I also wouldnt mind a tinny to get out a bit further

When you had a boat, did you go out with other people, or on solo trips? The reason I bought a boat not a yak was so I could take my mates or my old man out with me. If you were only going out by yourself, and don't mind not being able to crab then a kayak is perfect for you, especially with an electric.

If you buy a kayak that can take you offshore, then you could even hit places like Palm Beach reef which you cant fish in a tinny due to the bar crossing. Plus, if you sold the tinny to your old man... can't you just borrow it? haha

When you had a boat, did you go out with other people, or on solo trips? The reason I bought a boat not a yak was so I could take my mates or my old man out with me. If you were only going out by yourself, and don't mind not being able to crab then a kayak is perfect for you, especially with an electric.

If you buy a kayak that can take you offshore, then you could even hit places like Palm Beach reef which you cant fish in a tinny due to the bar crossing. Plus, if you sold the tinny to your old man... can't you just borrow it? haha

Yea i can use it anytime but its time for a change Woody ;)

Cheers

Darren

I decided on my Malibu minix because of the tight waters near to me that I chase bass in . As you have seen impossible to take boat and hard to launch canoe in without help . I just pick it up and carry her in through the scrub. With a capacity of 147kg it would certainly hold you and your gear. If its not flash enough then the stealth 9 has a few more things going for it but has a slightly lower weight capacity. It doesn't track as well as the longer yaks but that's not relay a problem in skinny water. I would have liked something bigger so I could join some others going out into the bay but as I do a lot of fishing near home I went for the minix. Having said that I am thinking of taking it into the bay on a calm day and trying it out. Has anyone taken one out in the bay or towards the mouth if the Brisbane river?

I did have a boat for a few years but sold it because I couldn't justify it sitting there doing nothing while I was fishing the local creeks from the bank. And if I did take it out it would take the whole day away from family for a trip. Now I get up at 4 spend a few hours on the water get home in time to do all the weekend family things.

Having said all of this if I could afford a bigger boat than the one I had and pay for all the fuel, rego and insurances maby my opinion would be different.

how many times do we see someone on the forum gushing about their new yak, then a few months later its up for sale?

Rent/borrow/loan a yak and get out on it and see if you like it. Fish from it. Consider wind, tide, sun, fitness level.

Then if you decide on a yak its not one size fits all. My wishlist has a glass stealth for surf launches, a little dagger driffter sik for skinny stuff, the hobie for estuary and light offshore work, and a canoe for overnighters down big systems like the Brizzy or Mary rivers.

Same dilemma for deciding what boat. Glass or ally or plastic.........etc

Good advice there Tom. Kiwiboy is gonna borrow the Coosa for a day or two or three. I was down at Adventure Outlet today and Craig is putting on a paddle day at the beginning of March which would be handy to attend if you're in the market for a yak.

Me personally I have 4 kayaks and now the little punt as well. I seriously need a bigger shed!!

Archived