Threadys on the bite

benobfo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor bloke tries to share his passion for fishing and recent success with other afo members and gets made to feel like he has to justify keeping a catch which is well within his rights to keep. Some anglers have got a real ' holier than thou ' attitude and it taints the feel of the forum I reckon.

Is it really necessary to pass judgement publicly on someone else's catch? I prefer to eat fish I catch myself as opposed to buying fish from a market where I have no control over the methods used to provide the product and if I want to stock up I bloody well have the right to just the same as benoafo.

No wonder people don't write as many reports as they used to, it's a bloody shame.

Mod Note

For the slow learners -

Any posts bagging a bloke for something perfectly legal wont be left in this thread.

If you want to have your opinion seen in the forum start your own thread about it and it will stay provided it is within the site's rules.

I'd be happy for the thread actually, as I would relish the chance to have a say too. Here is not the place though ;)

If there only 8 kg there not 1m fish then avg 1m brissy thready will be around 10kg min
sorry mate but a 118cm thready i got was 9.945kgs , a 1 mtr overall length thready average about 6-8kgs.. apart from this, great catch of threadies :woohoo: and the river is a big system with no one fishing for the threadies for at least 50klms so numbers are not low or considered threatened by overfishing.. just my opinion ;)

Hey Wes I guess it's who you speak at the end of the about numbers river mouth has been Alot less numbers compaired to previous years and when it comes how fat and length my 128 was close to 22kg and and Nathans 125cm Was nudging 20kg but as you say there have been skinny threadys that we have caught that have long but not very heavy at all but hey just my opinion

Well done mate

Some nice fish you got there.

Looks like you got good spot. Keep it close to yourself.

I dont see problem with keeping 6 fish.My eskys always full or up there when i come back from trip.

None of it goes to waste my parents never buy fish from shops. We eat 3-4 times a week. I also give it to my neighbour, work mates n family. They appericate me giving them fresh fish.

Im not a believer of realising legal fish. Last time i tried to realise a mackerel it got eaten by a shark. Same goes for tuna they die. I gave most of tuna away to people i see at jetty n they really appericate it.

Again well done mate keep up with the good reports.

Shane

Amazing thread once again! (Threadfins were good too)

Seems the vibe of this forum of late has gone down the tube!

It's either too big, too small, too many, not caught in the right spot, wrong time of year, incorrect grip on the fish or God forbid an unknown fish that has fallen foul to an "irresponsible" angler!

Here's a tip for all you "Professional" anglers! Not everyone who uses this sight takes fishing that seriously! I use fishing for relaxation and enjoyment. At best I may get out once or twice a month..

I thought this forum would be a great way to find out where, when, and what to catch around the Brisbane area. But instead have seen that it's basically a "cock fight".. Full of self righteous people trying to bring others down, with their amazing knowledge on all subjects fishy!

I hope people aren't scared off from posting their catch, as I do like to see people catching fish, and I couldn't care less wether you kept it, or released the bloody thing! Just as long as you had a darn good time catching it and didn't hurt anyone in the process!

Good catch mate, U put the effort in, u deserve to keep em.

I for one will keep any and as many fish that are legal. I only get out 1ce a month - if that, so whatever is legal - I will keep.

I can only remember 1 time in the last three years that I got a bag limit of any fish species. I stayed up all frigin night just to catch 5 pan sized snapper and my oath did my wife an I enjoy eating them - yes even the frozen fillets which we cooked 4 weeks later were delicious. None of it goes to waste as I keep the frames for crab bait or mince them up for berley.

We spend 1000's of dollars a year (rego/insurance/fuel/ramp fees/sips etc - which also pays for research and stocking) just to have the pleasure of fishing. I love eating fish - I love catching them. Bag and size limits are made to sustain the fishery and I abide by them.

No wonder people are hesitant to post reports - they get frowned upon (by some) for doing what is totally legal. Maybe the people who frown upon others for doing the right thing (legally wise), would be happier if EVERYONE released EVERY fish they catch and just buy fish from seafood markets/shops and encourage more commercial fishing/netting etc etc - cause that is surely the best way to sustain our fishery :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers

Woodlaz

Woodlaz, your thoughts are pretty much identical to mine. I too only get out every 3-4 weeks on average and unfortunately am not that successful (and don't think I've ever caught a bag limit of anything!!). Owning a boat costs money so apart from the thrill of catching a decent fish (or any legal one for that matter) I am always happy that night, the next day, a week later or months later when I get to eat it. It saves me buying fish and I know it's alot better quality than what I'd be prepared to pay for from the shops.

When it comes to having a chip at someone about keeping fish that are legal, in my book there is a HUGE difference between 'thinking it' and 'saying it' (in other words, deciding that your views are more important than whether it was legal and having the tenacity to decide to publicly attempt to point the finger at someone for something they far from deserve). In my opinion, if it is known that someone is repeatedly doing this, their account should be closed. Mangrove jack are another species where this habit of trying to manipulate others into releasing fish seems reasonably common. And yet they are an extremely tasty fish. So again, it's alright to sit there and 'think' ooh I wish everyone would release them, but to actually have a go at someone for keeping one is just rude and not on. Just my two cents.

Just a reminder to all members that there is a "Report to Mod" button for a reason.

If you see a post that you think is out of line then click on it and see what happens ;)

There is no problem with members pointing out mistakes to others as that is an excellent way for us all to learn. It just needs to be done in a positive manner not by ripping heads off.

It's either too big, too small, too many, not caught in the right spot, wrong time of year, incorrect grip on the fish or God forbid an unknown fish that has fallen foul to an "irresponsible" angler!

Here's a tip for all you "Professional" anglers! Not everyone who uses this sight takes fishing that seriously! I use fishing for relaxation and enjoyment. At best I may get out once or twice a month..

I thought this forum would be a great way to find out where, when, and what to catch around the Brisbane area. But instead have seen that it's basically a "cock fight".. Full of self righteous people trying to bring others down, with their amazing knowledge on all subjects fishy!

I hope people aren't scared off from posting their catch, as I do like to see people catching fish, and I couldn't care less wether you kept it, or released the bloody thing! Just as long as you had a darn good time catching it and didn't hurt anyone in the process!

well put bassking

yeah its a pain in the arse when the catch and release nazis get on thier high horse, it happens every now and again on here and drives good members away or stops alot of us from posting reports, wich is a pity

I may have missed some posts that were edited but some people do have an affinity with certain species and locations and are entitled to express their opinions and as long as this is done in a polite non confronting manner there is nothing wrong with this.If you think that something illegal has occurred why not a PM instead of broadcasting it far and wide

Wait for closed bass season and see me have my annual ark up when people are supposedly targeting yellas in closed waters with bass lures. :S

Cheers

Ray

Good catch mate, U put the effort in, u deserve to keep em.

I for one will keep any and as many fish that are legal. I only get out 1ce a month - if that, so whatever is legal - I will keep.

I can only remember 1 time in the last three years that I got a bag limit of any fish species. I stayed up all frigin night just to catch 5 pan sized snapper and my oath did my wife an I enjoy eating them - yes even the frozen fillets which we cooked 4 weeks later were delicious. None of it goes to waste as I keep the frames for crab bait or mince them up for berley.

We spend 1000's of dollars a year (rego/insurance/fuel/ramp fees/sips etc - which also pays for research and stocking) just to have the pleasure of fishing. I love eating fish - I love catching them. Bag and size limits are made to sustain the fishery and I abide by them.

No wonder people are hesitant to post reports - they get frowned upon (by some) for doing what is totally legal. Maybe the people who frown upon others for doing the right thing (legally wise), would be happier if EVERYONE released EVERY fish they catch and just buy fish from seafood markets/shops and encourage more commercial fishing/netting etc etc - cause that is surely the best way to sustain our fishery :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers

Woodlaz

Woodlaz, your thoughts are pretty much identical to mine. I too only get out every 3-4 weeks on average and unfortunately am not that successful (and don't think I've ever caught a bag limit of anything!!). Owning a boat costs money so apart from the thrill of catching a decent fish (or any legal one for that matter) I am always happy that night, the next day, a week later or months later when I get to eat it. It saves me buying fish and I know it's alot better quality than what I'd be prepared to pay for from the shops.

When it comes to having a chip at someone about keeping fish that are legal, in my book there is a HUGE difference between 'thinking it' and 'saying it' (in other words, deciding that your views are more important than whether it was legal and having the tenacity to decide to publicly attempt to point the finger at someone for something they far from deserve). In my opinion, if it is known that someone is repeatedly doing this, their account should be closed. Mangrove jack are another species where this habit of trying to manipulate others into releasing fish seems reasonably common. And yet they are an extremely tasty fish. So again, it's alright to sit there and 'think' ooh I wish everyone would release them, but to actually have a go at someone for keeping one is just rude and not on. Just my two cents.

Well said Bassking and Kelvin. - I say to my kids all the time when fishing "got nothing positive to say than say nothing" If it is an Illegal action then it is good to help the person out politely. If it is Legal than Bite your tongue. If you feel strongly about C&R open your own post and have your say don't jump on someone. There is no place in this community for Nazis making people feel bad about their posts when they have made the effort to write the post. Fair go. Well done Beno and please keep posting.

Guys, I'd rather see people put up what they take and have open debate on the subject matter in another area of the forum, rather than have a go at someone clearly working within their legal rights with limits and bags.

Having said that, I am with Dragons Eg, I won't take a Mangrove Jack despite them being great eating and i won't take Trophy bream either as they take 30+ years to get to size, these fish are too good to catch once! I have no problems taking a Thready but one fish will give me 2-3 meals happy with that.

Mick.

My two cents

Mick.

Agreed !

2-3kg of fillet of a 1m thready I don't think so but well done anyways there a quality fish

Meter tf only weights six kilo mate

I'll give ya 1000 bucks if u get as heavy a fillet off a meter tf as u stated.

Newbies always over estimate though so its understandable

Who is this wang ^

Archived