Speed Camera

haines490slc

i have a mate that is installing cameras on some of the boom gates of a train crossings for people running the red lights and thought the amount of money it is costing and i thought why they didnt just keep the gates down until the lights stop flashing then raise them up no more running of red lights,nothing to do with the speed camera though,they do put them in some bad spots.

Have seen them on footpaths as well. Really good when women pushing prams and children can't use the footpath.

Also the other day I was down at the local corner store and there was a covert speed camera parked right in fornt of a postbox. As if that wasn't bad enough it turned out the porcine officer was just waiting for his burger and chips. Its not the first time I have seen police officers setting a fine example.

I.e. driving like absolute dickheads for no reason. A porcine lady driving her unmarked car to work putting on her make up and talking ona mobile phone all at once.

When I was riding home once saw the rear passenger in a marked car with no seatbelt on leaning forward talking to the driver and passenger while the driver was eating a burger. Now I know the police have a tough job, and I support it, but behaviour such as these does them no favours. In a job like that you need to set a good example.

When I was filling up today I saw this, a speed camera parked so that the bus couldn't pull into the curb properly therefore blocking one lane. If speed kills, then what does this do???

Looks very much like a speed camera van, looks very much like Redbank Plains Road just before Eagle Street, looks very much like a bus zone foward of the van, looks very much likely legally parked.

Questions, concerns or comments? Contact Police Headquaters on 3364 6464 and ask to speak to the Traffic Camera Office. They administer all the camera sites in the State and each time a van is parked at a site the GPS coordinates (very accurately) are recorded and 3 photos taken, so they can re create the van in almost the exact position if required.

yup deadbank plains outside the woolies mate, booty, it doesn't matter if it is legally parked, it is creating an obstruction for the bus at peak time for school and afternoon traffic, he should have been a bit further up the road, and surprise surprise he is on a downhill section. Not police bashing here as I realise it is their masters that set this stuff up, but not a good look.

yup deadbank plains outside the woolies mate, booty, it doesn't matter if it is legally parked, it is creating an obstruction for the bus at peak time for school and afternoon traffic, he should have been a bit further up the road, and surprise surprise he is on a downhill section. Not police bashing here as I realise it is their masters that set this stuff up, but not a good look.

Would you bag a regular community members car if it was parked there?

C'mon guys everyone here speeds at one time or another, even the top brass was done doing 10k over the limit on the story bridge, whether you mean it or not is a different matter, for the young people out there who go out flying around weaving in and out of traffic i hope they get the book thrown at them, have seen heaps of red and green p platers speeding on the highway flying past me at 110

cheers

yup, I probably would, perhaps the ICC need to make that bus zone a bit longer.

At what point of the road do you start the zone and stop the zone?

Bus zones are based on length that a full length 55 seat bus can pull completely out of the lane and back on again.

If there are no obstructions within the bus zone, this one is juat a case of a lazy driver as identified earlier in the post.

C'mon guys everyone here speeds at one time or another, even the top brass was done doing 10k over the limit on the story bridge, whether you mean it or not is a different matter, for the young people out there who go out flying around weaving in and out of traffic i hope they get the book thrown at them, have seen heaps of red and green p platers speeding on the highway flying past me at 110

cheers

yes like the one in a camry today down ipswich road, undertaking me and cutting me off, this is why cops should be on the road, not sitting in vans.

yup, I probably would, perhaps the ICC need to make that bus zone a bit longer.

At what point of the road do you start the zone and stop the zone?

Bus zones are based on length that a full length 55 seat bus can pull completely out of the lane and back on again.

If there are no obstructions within the bus zone, this one is juat a case of a lazy driver as identified earlier in the post.

booty, I saw two buses that couldn't pull into the stop properly.

cheers

yes like the one in a camry today down ipswich road, undertaking me and cutting me off, this is why cops should be on the road, not sitting in vans.

Haines... dont want to blue with you about everything you post, but feel that the facts should be put out there as often people are misinformed or self informed about things.

The Police in camera vans, me included, are doing it on overtime and paid for by Transport and Main Roads. It does not cut into regular policing hours or duties and is not paid for out of the Police budget.

Where does TMR get their funding to pay for the vans to be on the road.... from the fines imposed on people speeding.

cheers

Haines... dont want to blue with you about everything you post, but feel that the facts should be put out there as often people are misinformed or self informed about things.

The Police in camera vans, me included, are doing it on overtime and paid for by Transport and Main Roads. It does not cut into regular policing hours or duties and is not paid for out of the Police budget.

Where does TMR get their funding to pay for the vans to be on the road.... from the fines imposed on people speeding.

booty, thanks for taking the time to post, it is nice to hear from someone in the front line. I really appreciate the job you guys do, but it seems to me and many people I talk to that cameras are put in positions that are designed to catch as many people as possible. As I said before, I haven't had a speeding fine in years as I always do about 5 kays under and have speed alert on my GPS.

cheers

Hey booty, totally off topic here but when i see you guys in your patrolls are you aiming out the back or the front? Iv always thought the back...cheers

NExt question for Greg (if I may be so off topic); Is the speed showing on our GPS more accurate than the speedo fitted to the car ? Which would you trust as a Keeper of the Road Traffic ?

I would generally trust a gps speed over vehicle speedos as there ase variables such as tyre size, tyre inflation etc which will affect the rolling diameter.

You can get your speedo checked and certified to Australian Standards if in doubt.

page 193 of the road rules say you cannot park within 20m of the front of a bus stop, and 10m from the rear.

/>http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR09.pdf

unless I'm reading it wrong or something, then the radar car isn't parked correctly...

page 193 of the road rules say you cannot park within 20m of the front of a bus stop, and 10m from the rear.

unless I'm reading it wrong or something, then the radar car isn't parked correctly...

Correct.... but a bus stop is a single post in the ground, a bus zone is a length of road.

Next?

Either.....

But not both?

So that means if the camera is pointed out the back and I am speeding on the bike, it can't see me because I don't have a rego plate on the front. If it is pointed out the front and I slow down beside the van it won't take my picture :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Either.....

But not both?

So that means if the camera is pointed out the back and I am speeding on the bike, it can't see me because I don't have a rego plate on the front. If it is pointed out the front and I slow down beside the van it won't take my picture :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I think it's difficult for some radars to accurately detect a bike's speed, maybe because they have a small radar signature? Bikes have a lot of plastic and usually a rounded shape seen from front on and a small amount of metal to reflect the radar......I have no idea how radars work but I may have sped a couple times on a bike through a radar zone ( hand held and vans ) and not been pinged :whistle:

Just found this on the ICC website

Bus Zone

A driver must not stop in a bus zone, unless the driver is driving a bus that seats over 12 adults. Parking is not permitted 20 metres before a sign indicating a bus stop and 10 metres after the sign.

/>http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/residents/laws_regulations/parking/

he is illegally parked

How is it parked illegally?

The sign indicating the bus stop is at the front of the bus. The sign immediately in front of the police van is a bus zone sign, which I'm sure you will find is the 20 metre mark.

As said before, the reason for the 20 metres before, and 10 metres after a bus stop is to allow buses to pull in and out of a bus stop. The fact he didn't isn't because the police car was parked where it is, rather his inability, laziness or desire not to is the issue. As booty said, if it was a regular average joe citizen, no one would have raised an issue about a car being parked legally.

I swear the branch of the Traffic Police do untold damage to the rest of the Police Service and really must be a PR nightmare for senior officials. I know a few uniforms (sister in law is one) and these are the guys copping all the flak on a daily basis from motorists who have had run ins with Traffic Police.

I really feel for the rest of the Force.

Personally I've never had a speeding fine in over 20 years of driving but Highway Patrol and speed camera vehicles really touch a raw nerve on me and I'm sick of the propaganda we are constantly bombarded with from the Police and the media puppets that serve them.

Speed is not the sole cause of any accident yet is the easiest to point a finger at and collect money from. If more effort was put into driver training and education you'd put a massive dent in the road toll. Instead, we send kids out in bommodores and falcons who discover oversteer/understeer at night around a corner with a car full of mates with no clue what's going on or how to corect it.

Bottyinblue and freshy, my hat is off to u guys, I know how hard the job is and I'd love to see the police become more involved in a positive way in the community like they were 30 years ago. I don't hold much hope for the curent generation cause they are a bunch as rude twats :-) but I reckon if we get to the kids in primary school we'd all be better off for it.

Archived