Speed Camera

haines490slc

Saw a beaut one this arvo with one of the new hand held cameras.

Unmarked ( I think)car parked in right side of gateway under one of the overhead gantrys heading southbound.

Uniformed police officer standing up on concrete dividing wall hidden behind gantry support beam pinging northbound drivers in 100kph one just after speed limit changes from 80 to 100.

Even the truckies hadnt got on to him till we reached top of gateway.

No amount of training hours.will put a brain between the ears of some of the dickheads on the road It is not learning how to cope with oversteer or understeer it is simply having a brain and using it.

Red p plate doing well over 100kph in a 70 zone on a wet road the other night.

He should be jailed.

Dont give a fig if he kills himself but what about the innocents left behind or the poor EMS people who hace to scrape up the mess.

Cheers

Ray

People speeding unintentionally are no doubt caught and fined from time to time, but a lot less often than the idiots people have been talking about in earlier posts. Therefore the idiots are more likely to lose their licence more quickly, whether they are caught by vans, fixed cameras or mobile patrols, so outcome achieved with a little collateral damage. I am sure people who have lost loved ones to speeding drivers probably want the government to do everything it can to stop people speeding. Its all about choice for the driver in the end. I understand people's contention that the link between speed and deaths is not always a direct one, but then again in my youth we all thought that we drove better with a few drinks under the belt and didnb't want RBTs either. The state road toll was about 650 in those days.

A traffic crash is the direct result of previous driving attitudes. Correct the attitudes and you may well not contribute to the road toll.

Prawn - Contact your local traffic branch and ask when the nest Attitudinal Driving Workshop is being run in your area. Its a presentation put on by the local Police (mostly in their own time) to pull together Police, QFRS, QAS, Undertakers, road crash victims for a presentation to the 16-19year old age groups.

If I can put an hour in, I dont care if its in my own time and give a kid a wake up call before I unravel him from around a telegraph pole at 2am then let me know who needs speaking too.

Bottom line the van is parked legally and all traffic related fines are completely voluntary!

Prawn - Contact your local traffic branch and ask when the nest Attitudinal Driving Workshop is being run in your area. Its a presentation put on by the local Police (mostly in their own time) to pull together Police, QFRS, QAS, Undertakers, road crash victims for a presentation to the 16-19year old age groups.

Sure....however I can pretty much guarantee that the aim of this interaction is to "shock" youth into not driving like idiots. I'm sure there will be many examples of incidents (can't call them accidents anymore) involving drivers in their age bracket doing idiotic things, and of course, all participating parties will happily tell them how stupid the actions were, how it's affected the lives of others etc etc,

This is not what I meant. This is not helping youth respect and see police as human beings, a person who is friendly yet won't take nonsence, somebody to look up to, somebody they can talk to without fear of judgement or reprisal.

Police need to be involved in normal every day activies and life with these kids, not just tell them what they do wrong all the time.

I know that the Qld Police Force is stretched pretty thin and to think about tying up police resources in this way seems pointless , wastefull and trivial. Believe me though, get kids to respect police again, to say hi to them and really know them for the decent hard working people they are, to see value in them, to want to intereact with police in a good way (PCYC is a great example), you'll see far less problems with youth crime, attitudes and behavior, grafitti and violence.

Anyway, I just think bashing kids over the head constantly telling them how bad they are just makes things worse. Befriend them then influence behavior and attitudes will be a much more positive and effective method.

Bottom line the van is parked legally and all traffic related fines are completely voluntary!

That attitude really sums it all up doesn't it. The system is NOT trying to keep the road toll down with speed cameras, they've been proven time and time again in studies to be ineffective. Doing 68km/h in a 60 zone is not going to kill somebody, looking at the speedo every 2 seconds to make sure the car is under 60km/h and not seeing the car/person pull out in front of you will kill somebody.

looking at the speedo every 2 seconds to make sure the car is under 60km/h

I'm not having a go at you Prawnhead, as you are not the only person I have heard say this, so my comment is more general.

If you cannot maintain the speed of a car without having to constantly look at the speedo, I honestly think you should consider getting some training, or have some practice on maintaining your speed.

I'm not saying you should be able to pick when your car is doing 61km/h instead of 60km/h, but in my opinion you should have an idea of how fast you are going in your car without looking at the speedo, and be able to feel when you've picked up or lost speed.

That attitude really sums it all up doesn't it. The system is NOT trying to keep the road toll down with speed cameras, they've been proven time and time again in studies to be ineffective. Doing 68km/h in a 60 zone is not going to kill somebody, looking at the speedo every 2 seconds to make sure the car is under 60km/h and not seeing the car/person pull out in front of you will kill somebody.

Yep... it sums up that you dont have to pay any money if you choose not too... 100's of 1000's motorists succeed in it each day.

I guarantee that people who have read this thread will either a) slow down or B) atleast throttle back a little and cover their brake in the area if they know where it is. Is this behaviour likely to increase or reduce the likelyhood of further road crashes in that area?

looking at the speedo every 2 seconds to make sure the car is under 60km/h

I'm not having a go at you Prawnhead, as you are not the only person I have heard say this, so my comment is more general.

If you cannot maintain the speed of a car without having to constantly look at the speedo, I honestly think you should consider getting some training, or have some practice on maintaining your speed.

I'm not saying you should be able to pick when your car is doing 61km/h instead of 60km/h, but in my opinion you should have an idea of how fast you are going in your car without looking at the speedo, and be able to feel when you've picked up or lost speed.

I'll have to disagree with you their Terry as in my opinion it depends on the situation/road. I consider myself a pretty decent driver (have never had an accident or speeding fine yet) and yet get nervous each time I drive over the Story Bridge. Coming from Wynnum Rd I always need to merge across to the left lane (whilst other cars are entering from the left lane and trying to merge to the middle/right lanes) and the pressure of knowing that there is a fixed camera there sees me looking down at my speedo alot more often than I normally would and this definitely lessens my awareness of what's going on around me.

As far as the rest of the argument about radars, etc, I'm leaving that one be.

Sure....however I can pretty much guarantee that the aim of this interaction is to "shock" youth into not driving like idiots. I'm sure there will be many examples of incidents (can't call them accidents anymore) involving drivers in their age bracket doing idiotic things, and of course, all participating parties will happily tell them how stupid the actions were, how it's affected the lives of others etc etc,

Police need to be involved in normal every day activies and life with these kids, not just tell them what they do wrong all the time.

Not sure which bit of your top paragraph is not in line with your 'If more effort was put into driver training and education you'd put a massive dent in the road toll' comment.

And as for the second paragraph, Parents need to be involved in normal every day activities with their kids, and this would limit the kids exposure to Police just tellin them they do wrong all the time.

I've sat both my kids down at separate times and had the "consequences" chat with them.

Every parent should have the consequences chat imo.

Give them the meaning and then some examples.

Consequences aren't necessarily bad either.

I don't rag on cops to them (only about doing it as a job)

I teach them respect.

My kids have no attitude trouble towards police.

Behaviour and attitude is learnt at home. It's the parents' responsibility; nobody else's.

Ellicat what do u do when the parents have no respect for the police and are never going to teach anything good to their kids about the great job they do?

My parents were fantastic and always taught me to say thanks, please, mr, mrs, chivilary, what manners are, etc and I consider myself lucky.

A lot of the current generation don't give a crap so it's highly unlikely they are going to teach their kids what they should. The rest of society needs to pick up the slack, as well as the Police, and try and turn things around.

Personally I reckon the 50's were a great example of how a society should behave, and I'm a 70's baby :-)

exactly right, looking down every five secnds to check you are not doing 65km/hr takes your attention off the road, how about when you need to accellerate in order to avoid a crash, go past a speed camera and ping you are done. Qld putting speed cameras where there are overtaking lanes FGS who makes up these rules.

Probably more worried about eating the donuts they just bought than setting up the van properly

no there was no car in front of him, and the bus would have had to blocked the exit to the servo to get in, I haven't been done for speeding in 5 years, but this just highlights that putting cops in vans doesn't increase road safety!!

This is a funny thread.

I don't buy the "looking at the speedo is a distraction" line. It takes the same, if not less, time to blink as it does to see your speed. If you're doing it for longer you need an eye test or maybe you need to pull over and have a sleep :lol:

As for difficulty with gauging speed when you don't want to look at the speedo - just err on the side of caution and go slower.

Some excited imagination and exaggeration seems to be going on, maybe ?? :P

EDIT - Give me the strength to change the things I can and the will to accept the things I can't.

THE SPEED CAMERA VAN WAS PARKED ILLEGALLY.

Section 144 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995

extends exculpatory provisions to police officers who are required to breach the

provisions of the Traffic Act whilst exercising a power of performing a function

under that act or any other act. Section 307 of the Transport Operations (Road

Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 1999 provides further exculpation to

police and emergency vehicles which are required to be stopped or parked in

circumstances which would normally constitute a breach of the regulations.

The provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act surrounding the safety and

welfare of police officers as well as members of the community should always be

taken into account when operating such equipment. Authorised Speed Camera

Operators receive extensive training in the correct set up and operating procedures

for the use of the equipment.

Therefore, by virtue of the provisions of the law, Speed Camera Vehicles may be

parked on the footpath, centre islands, side of the road or in ‘no stopping’ areas.

Here's another can of worms, speed camera on a downhill gradient?

I've seen plenty of motorway carnage working on the gateway and M1 over the years and had the protection of concrete barriers and water filled barriers to give me some buffer zone from the tools on the road. I shake my head that the likes of Booty will kick back in a van watching dvd's (or "working") on the side of a 100 zone. Doesn't TMR require bump trucks for everyone else working on those roads?

looks ok to me see them parked there all the time ,drive that road 2 to 4 times a day .i would say bus driver laziness too as i deal with cars and buses ,trucks etc all day and bus driver's are classic sometimes .

i reckon its great the sit there and kruger parade .people fly along them roads like its a race track ,no way they are doing the 60 or 70 kph speed limit .

for about the last month there has been a shoulder closer on Redbank Plains Road coming over the hill is a 40 kph a hr ,pretty much no one slow down for it .so they should only come over the hill at 40 kph.

Archived