ID please? Snake

Eug

The brown tree snake is rear fanged, so it needs to chew on its prey before it can inject it with venom, and are they are Mildly venomous, I'm still sticking with a brown tree, it has the same head patter in every picture I've seen and very similar colors

you guys are all pretty cluey on snakes. thanks.

The brown tree snake is rear fanged, so it needs to chew on its prey before it can inject it with venom, and are they are Mildly venomous, I'm still sticking with a brown tree, it has the same head patter in every picture I've seen and very similar colors

you guys are all pretty cluey on snakes. thanks.

Yeah pretty keen on snakes, my dad was dozing and ran over one at our property and it was a brown tree, that was the one we sent into dpi and it just looks exactly the same

Just to add my final 2 cents, will be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be a brown tree snake seeing as the ridges are missing from the scales. With it's mouth open in the original pictures it was difficult to see the skinny neck. Would be nice if you could take this time to identify a snake you just stumbled across in the wild :). Nice snake, now carry on, don't mind me :)

I just got the following reply from one of the Queensland Museum's herpatologists:

Hi Baden,

It's a Brown Tree Snake. I attach some information on this species for you to send on to your friend.

Brown Tree Snake       

Boiga irregularis

Identification: Length to 2m. Orange to brown above with irregular, dark crossbands; belly cream or orange.

Neck slender, distinct from head; eyes large with vertical pupils. Scales smooth, 19-23 midbody rows (enlarged series down centre of back); ventrals225-265, anal single, subcaudals divided 85-130.

Distribution: Coastal and subcoastal areas of northern and eastern Australia, New Guinea and Indonesia. An introduced population in Guam has been transported to other Pacific Islands in cargo.

Habitat: Open and closed forests, human dwellings, rocky escarpments and outcrops.

Danger: (venomous – rear fanged)

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TO YOUNG CHILDREN. Australian Brown Tree snakes are often considered weakly venomous or not dangerous to humans. Bites showing signs of envenomation are rare. This may relate to their rear-fanged condition and a reduced ability to deliver venom during `defensive bites’. However, where `feeding bites’ occur and venom is `chewed’ into the bite site, serious symptoms have been recorded. An Australian case, involving a captive specimen, resulted in stomach cramps, nausea and continuous vomiting. In Guam, small children have required intubation and ventilation following bites.

Diet: Feeds mainly on birds and their eggs, reptiles and mammals, but frogs are also taken.

Reproduction: Egg layer; up to 11 eggs per clutch (Aug – Nov); hatchlings 30cm.

Comments: The banded pattern and nocturnal habits of this snake lead to the common name `Night Tiger’.

Brown Tree snakes are well-known for their attacks on caged birds. Many calls have been made to the Queensland Museum’s Inquiry Centre recounting the sad tale of the pet budgie disappearing into the gut of a Brown Tree Snake during the night. The snake, now grossly distended, is caught red-handed, its increased girth making an escape back through the bars impossible.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick Couper

Curator – Biodiversity

(Reptiles & Amphibians)

Queensland Museum

Well there you go, thats why we dont pick them up, took 30 people 3 days to get it dead wrong lol.

As far as copperheads in Brisbane are concerned, get a pic of one and you will re-write the scientific data, that is a good few hundred kilometers from their known range and way too hot up here for them. But the scientists are not always correct...

Copperheads are a colder climate snake and very common throughout the snowy mountains area.

They are one of the main snakes to keep an eye out for when fishing the stream and lakes for trout.

Dartmouth Dam in Victoria is very bad for copperheads and we often found them in our campsites over the years.

Not a copperhead if you live in queensland.

Hard for me to tell, if you have a better pic of the head would be easier. But in all cases treat them as dangerous and leave them alone. Dont try to kill it as this is when most bites happen.

Just to clear that statement up as far no copperheads in Queensland There is a golf course out the back of beaudesert that's name means copperhead in aboriginal.(can't remember the name of the golf course)and yes we do have tiger nakes in queensland

I used to regularly see Copperhead snakes on my property at Murphys Creek at the foot of the range near Toowoomba and Kooralbyn Golf Course near Beaudesert holds the Copperhead Challenge there every month. It's a common enough snake down that way.

Hard for me to tell, if you have a better pic of the head would be easier. But in all cases treat them as dangerous and leave them alone. Dont try to kill it as this is when most bites happen.

Just to clear that statement up as far no copperheads in Queensland There is a golf course out the back of beaudesert that's name means copperhead in aboriginal.(can't remember the name of the golf course)and yes we do have tiger nakes in queensland

I will stand by what I said here, I cant find any records of copperheads in Queensland, ever. What the aboriginals may call a copper head and what science calls a copperhead are probably 2 totally different things. They are a temperate snake from cold climates in Southern Australia, the only snake in this country that can live above the snow line, so they are well out of place in our sub tropical climate.

See http://www.avru.org/general/distrib_copper.html

I will stand by what I said here, I cant find any records of copperheads in Queensland, ever. What the aboriginals may call a copper head and what science calls a copperhead are probably 2 totally different things. They are a temperate snake from cold climates in Southern Australia, the only snake in this country that can live above the snow line, so they are well out of place in our sub tropical climate.

IT CLEARLY STATES IN THIS SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION THAT THEY ARE FOUND IN QUEENSLAND

Australian Copperheads are members of the Elapidae Family (Pit Viper) of snakes. Pit Vipers are snakes with highly evolved "pit" sensory organ capable of picking up even the slightest temperature variance. Elapids have hollow fangs located in the front of their mouth but these fangs cannot be erected like a true Viper, such as the Gaboon Viper, belonging to the Viperidae Family. The main difference is Elapids must actually bite their prey instead of stabbing it like a true Pit Viper. Like all Elapids, Australian Copperheads have Fixed Fangs mounted at the front of their jaw. Australian Copperheads are known to be shy and not overly aggressive, however when the do strike they deliver a substantial quantity of Snake venom which can be deadly if left untreated. Australian Copperheads are dangerous poisonous snakes with Neurotoxic venom classified in the Proteroglypha group having permanently erect fangs. There is no specific Australian Copperhead Antivenom, but Tiger Snake or polyvalent antivenom is used and effective in the event an antivenom is administered to the snake bite victim.

Common Name: Australian Copperhead

Scientific Name: Austrelaps superbus

Snake Family: Elapidae

Genus: Austrelaps

Description: Color variations are many with skin tones ranging from a coppery brown color to light reddish brown, grey and dark brown. Black species are known in Queensland territory. Some display copper colored heads but this is not always a prominent distinguishing feature.

Characteristics: Not known to be aggressive but will defend themselves when threatened.

Reproduction: Copperheads are viviparous (bearing live young) and breed from spring giving birth to as many as 14 young in late summer.

Length: 1.2 to 1.8 meters (4 to 6 feet) in length

Habitat Distribution: South Australia - New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Kangaroo Island & Tasmania

Subspecies:

Lowlands Copperhead (Austrelaps superbus)

Highlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)

Pygmy Copperhead (Austrelaps labialis)

The genus Austrelaps includes 3 closely related species not defined until the later part of the 20th century.

post-9073-144598758909_thumb.jpg

This is the colouring of the Copperhead i used to see at Murphys Creek property. I found one in my chook pen about 1982 and killed it before it got me. I then took it to Queensland Uni at Gatton ( was called Gatton Ag Colledge) in those days where they identified it as a Copperhead.

I am no Snake expert at all. I am simply passing on my own personal experiences.

IT CLEARLY STATES IN THIS SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION THAT THEY ARE FOUND IN QUEENSLAND

Australian Copperheads are members of the Elapidae Family (Pit Viper) of snakes. Pit Vipers are snakes with highly evolved "pit" sensory organ capable of picking up even the slightest temperature variance. Elapids have hollow fangs located in the front of their mouth but these fangs cannot be erected like a true Viper, such as the Gaboon Viper, belonging to the Viperidae Family. The main difference is Elapids must actually bite their prey instead of stabbing it like a true Pit Viper. Like all Elapids, Australian Copperheads have Fixed Fangs mounted at the front of their jaw. Australian Copperheads are known to be shy and not overly aggressive, however when the do strike they deliver a substantial quantity of Snake venom which can be deadly if left untreated. Australian Copperheads are dangerous poisonous snakes with Neurotoxic venom classified in the Proteroglypha group having permanently erect fangs. There is no specific Australian Copperhead Antivenom, but Tiger Snake or polyvalent antivenom is used and effective in the event an antivenom is administered to the snake bite victim.

Common Name: Australian Copperhead

Scientific Name: Austrelaps superbus

Snake Family: Elapidae

Genus: Austrelaps

Description: Color variations are many with skin tones ranging from a coppery brown color to light reddish brown, grey and dark brown. Black species are known in Queensland territory. Some display copper colored heads but this is not always a prominent distinguishing feature.

Characteristics: Not known to be aggressive but will defend themselves when threatened.

Reproduction: Copperheads are viviparous (bearing live young) and breed from spring giving birth to as many as 14 young in late summer.

Length: 1.2 to 1.8 meters (4 to 6 feet) in length

Habitat Distribution: South Australia - New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Kangaroo Island & Tasmania

Subspecies:

Lowlands Copperhead (Austrelaps superbus)

Highlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)

Pygmy Copperhead (Austrelaps labialis)

The genus Austrelaps includes 3 closely related species not defined until the later part of the 20th century.

just an extract from your link, The copperhead snake is limited to Victoria, Tasmania, the highlands of New South Wales and possibly the southern parts of South Australia, including some Bass Strait islands.

The distribution map from your link clearly show they are not found in Queensland so that website obviously doesn't hold much credibility as it seems to condradict itself. I am no snake expert thou

• 2 weeks later...

Orca,

Please read the following regarding records of copperheads in Queensland from Queensland Museum; IT CLEARLY STATES THERE IS NONE, AND NEVER HAS BEEN...

Hi Cheyne,

There are no Copperhead (Austrelaps spp.) records for Queensland. Copperheads are temperate snakes and the northern-most populations are in the Guyra area (NSW). There are few snakes in SE Qld that could be described as having copper heads. The highly variable Common Brown (Pseudonaja textilis) may be the culprit- A common colour variant is a dark body with a paler (often golden-tan) head.

Regards

Kieran Aland

Information Officer

Discovery Centre

QM Service Charter: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Footer/Right+to+Information/Services

Queensland Museum & Sciencentre

Archived