Tackle in a Yak?

JarrydA

How would it go holding a few legals? Whats it like to clean?

The bag actually has holes in the bottom for drainage - so probably not very well. If you want to keep some fish alive, then maybe a little esky would be better for you? Then you could just have a smaller bag for your tackle trays and leader and things.

:)

Hi Jarryd, I've gone from 5 or 6 plano boxes with as many lures shoved into it as I could fit, plus all the other gear like a knife, pliers and lip grips when we started to a much reduced kit.

I just made another simplification on the weeekend:

large pencil case for lip gripper, knife, scissors and pliers - removed from case and stowed in side pockets.

small pencil case for 3 or 4 reels of leader - removed from case and stowed in side pockets.

plano liqua bait bottle for plastics - stored behind me on the deck

small plano double-sided box for my jig-heads - stored behind me on the deck (attached to the hull with a line)

medium plano double-sided box with about 20 lures (changes each trip) tied to

a plano (yellow) water-proof case for keys etc - both stored in the hatch between my legs.

The problem with taking a lot of lures is that a lot of lures are likely to get sea water on them and quickly become a $1000+ of corroded lures. The less you take the better.

One other essential I take is a small sealable plastic jar (I think its an old stock cube jar). I put my used lures into it as they come off the line and top the jar with fresh water from my drink bottle when I come in. That way it keeps them clear of my other lures and starts to get rid of the salt water quickly.

Cheers for the ideas fellas, Went and picked up a few plano boxes today, i dont have alot of lures (yet) just getting into that side of fishing now, so im sure it will grow. But at this stage, a couple of boxes will be plenty.

Keen to go for a paddle with you guys as soon as the yak arrives!

Archived