Gillard or Rudd?

taib

Gillard or Rudd?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Gillard or Rudd?

• Rudd
    • Gillard
    • Neither

How much of the good position the Libs left us in was due to asset sales?
and they raised taxes overall, I tell you I would have heaps of coin in the bank too if you doubled my salary and halved my outgoings. It took an ALP government to fix Ipswich Rd, Johnny Howard neglected it for years, probably something to do with all the safe labor seats out our way.

Hmm thought Main Roads was a State responsibility

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much of the good position the Libs left us in was due to asset sales?
and they raised taxes overall, I tell you I would have heaps of coin in the bank too if you doubled my salary and halved my outgoings. It took an ALP government to fix Ipswich Rd, Johnny Howard neglected it for years, probably something to do with all the safe labor seats out our way.

Hmm thought Main Roads was a State responsibility

Ted, it is a national highway mate, so federal responsibility, here you go check this link

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Highway_%28Australia%29

Ipswich road is part of a national Route, and is therefore a federal responsibility.

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningham_Highway

Elop,

Yep been Pro fishing most of my life. Am currently Estuary Net fishing. I spent lots of years on big boats out wide all around Oz including south of Tas, amongst the ice. After 28 of my mates killed in the game and 3 trips home in the life raft myself, decided it was much safer up in the rivers.

Don't worry Pro's are as concerned about the future of Australian fisheries as recreational anglers.(I'm both) The most important things in my view are sustainability and access to the resouce for all Australians, Pro fishers, Rec. Anglers and Seafood consumers. If you fully understood what the current Government is doing in relation to Fisheries management I'm sure you would be horrified. I have to live amougst it everyday. I'm off today to another meeting to try and talk some sence into "them".

A surplus is a profit for the country which is something a Labor government has NEVER produced to the best of my knowledge, happy to be corrected. Leaders that continually record losses and spend more than they can afford to keep the unions happy so their members don't hit the streets striking when a great majority of small business owners and employees which is the lifeblood of our country have not had even CPI increases in years. Labor look after government employees and the centrelink line so maybe since they cruel every other industry we sould all go get those jobs and join a union, i mean that turned out just swell for greece. We are of course a totally different kettle of fish but union now call the shots in this country.

Its interestin those who chose niether outnumber Gillard or Rudd...

Should Katter have been thrown in the mix? :P

I Knew there was more to that pic than met the eye.

what we can expect on monday

431450_10150694543121399_651731398_11722988_1523308186_n.jpg

offline hosting but until the forum fixes it's shizz it'll do

A surplus is a profit for the country which is something a Labor government has NEVER produced to the best of my knowledge, happy to be corrected. Leaders that continually record losses and spend more than they can afford to keep the unions happy so their members don't hit the streets striking when a great majority of small business owners and employees which is the lifeblood of our country have not had even CPI increases in years. Labor look after government employees and the centrelink line so maybe since they cruel every other industry we sould all go get those jobs and join a union, i mean that turned out just swell for greece. We are of course a totally different kettle of fish but union now call the shots in this country.
Mate the reason Greece is broke is because there were many tax scams by the wealthy amongst other things. Why the constant union bashing, do you want australia to be like china where there are ghettos everywhere and people live below the poverty line??? Unions are the reason that workers in Australia are paid what they are, without them do you think buisiness owners would pay them well out of the kindness of their hearts??? Libs save money because they increase tax and spend no money on infrastructure, such as Ipswich Motorway, this then leads to capacity contraints and puts pressure on productivity. Have a look at the big picture instead of just repeating what Tony Abbott says mate.

Mate the reason Greece is broke is because there were many tax scams by the wealthy amongst other things. Why the constant union bashing, do you want australia to be like china where there are ghettos everywhere and people live below the poverty line??? Unions are the reason that workers in Australia are paid what they are, without them do you think buisiness owners would pay them well out of the kindness of their hearts??? Libs save money because they increase tax and spend no money on infrastructure, such as Ipswich Motorway, this then leads to capacity contraints and puts pressure on productivity. Have a look at the big picture instead of just repeating what Tony Abbott says mate.

My guess and hey i may be wrong but you work for a government department and get your pay increases when you wave your signs around.

have you heard the term, be carefull when you assume, as it can make an ass out of u and me?

I think it is far more complex than that and that is quite an ill-informed statement. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation where increasing wages to meet the rising cost of living is never ending. By pushing up wages it contributes to the rising cost of everything in Australia and so we start going around in circles. As the cost of labout goes up we start losing industries as they become too expensive to do in Australia. Take the automotive industry, book, clothing manufacturing etc etc these now are becoming non-existant in Australia as we have no 'cheap' labour and the only option is to have everything made offshore. Having recently lived overseas in Europe where a loaf of bread and a litre of milk is 1/10 the price it is in Australia you have to wonder what is going wrong over here when with our resource boom means things should be cheap. Does make you wonder...

Everyone please keep the political comments friendly :)

do your own research mate, this is what education teaches you, not to make silly comments without having your facts straight first. Go away, do some reading then come back ;-)

Please keep the tone friendly, as it is starting to get a little wayward and please remember not everyone is going to agree with your beliefs (even those who are very well educated and well researched).

Tell me are you totally fine with Labor Never having a surplus

how about you check your history young fella so you can participate in an informed debate rather than embarrasing yourself.

Friendly comments noted admin :)

Seems its tough to dig up that sort of information ey? must have been a damn long time ago so perhaps not the young fella getting embarressed.. Anyway history speaks for itself with the pros and cons on both sides, that's somethings everyone agrees on so time to move on.

Agreed union did a good job at this 30 years ago. But most unions these days have outlived their purpose.

The olnyl unions worth a pinch of shit are for example:

Teachers union. To protect against kiddy fiddling accusation.

Police union: to protect against wanker public

Nurses: to protect against emotional people that cant accept people die.

Most others are totally redundant in our society.

It wasn't that long ago mate, come on dude research is easy with google ;-)

wow if that isn't an absolute age ago that's the problem i have with Labor, no idea what it takes to balance the books.

wasn't that long after LJH as treasurer produced on of the worst ever deficits.

"Among the most significant of these reforms were the progressive deregulation of the financial sector, removing interest rate ceilings, the float of the Australian dollar (December 1983), entry of foreign banks and extensive changes to the taxation system. In 1984 Keating was named "Finance Minister of the Year" by the financial/economic journal Euromoney for his achievement of a budget surplus and his far-sighted economic strategies."

wow if that isn't an absolute age ago that's the problem i have with Labor, no idea what it takes to balance the books.

Labor didn't get much of a look in after that though, liberal/coalition pretty much ruled the roost from the mid 90's.

Labor didn't get much of a look in after that though, liberal/coalition pretty much ruled the roost from the mid 90's.

Yeah i do agree mate but Keating left things in a mess and the money in the bank after Johnny left was one of the main reasons we have stayed reasonably strong through the tough times.

... last budget surplus for the labor Government was in 89/90 of $8 billion 2% of GDP - hmmm not one since than Eddie

that`s a bit rough Ted,considering that Keating (91-96) was one of the better(de-facto)Liberal PMs :whistle: ,after Menzies and Howard of course,so realistically that only gives Labor a 3-4 year deficit run :pinch:

Why the constant union bashing, do you want australia to be like china where there are ghettos everywhere and people live below the poverty line???

I take it you haven't been to Logan, I just spent 18 months working on housing commision flats in Marsden, the suburb is well over 50% housing commission. Take a look around at all the job losses mate. Politics and religion the two things that can ruin a good thing :unsure:

Why the constant union bashing, do you want australia to be like china where there are ghettos everywhere and people live below the poverty line???

I take it you haven't been to Logan, I just spent 18 months working on housing commision flats in Marsden, the suburb is well over 50% housing commission. Take a look around at all the job losses mate. Politics and religion the two things that can ruin a good thing :unsure:

so you would rather full employment, but people living below the poverty line?? BTW I have lived in Goodna my whole life. ;-). A few more facts that some have overlooked.

Labor came to power in 1983 and inherited a deficit of $9000 million. This economic crisis informed much of the Hawke government’s policy-making. The priority was to restore economic and employment growth by reducing high unemployment and inflation. Hawke, and his Treasurer Paul Keating, regarded good management of the ailing economy as vital. Both also believed the only solution lay in finding a structural and policy path that accommodated both labour and business.

MM I wonder who the treasurer was that left that massive deficit for the ALP to sort out???? I will give you a hint, second sitting PM to be voted out of his seat at a general election. ;-P

Yeah i do agree mate but Keating left things in a mess and the money in the bank after Johnny left was one of the main reasons we have stayed reasonably strong through the tough times.

a bit of light reading for you mate.

/>http://primeministers.naa.gov.au/primeministers/hawke/in-office.aspx

Mate just because Labor had some shining moment does not make this bunch any good. I do think that a lot of things that Keating/Hawke government did where good. Where I lost it with Keating is when he trashed Hewson?? for wanting to bring in a VAT (GST) for his political expediency. A position Keating had previously purported as the way to go.

Keating was unpopular but did some good and Hawke was popular and allowed Keating the time to apply his change.

Previous to those two we had the Fraser and the Whitlam Governments - Economic thinking was a lot different then. I have never stated that Fraser was any good. But you can never say that Whitlam was either. I wonder why he got thrown out??

If we are talking deficits being left to the next government. God help the Abbot Government in 2 years when they inherit the deficit left by the current "Tom and Jerry show". They have spent the savings and run us into dept.

To answer your statement regarding employment. A person is far better employed rather than sitting on the doll. I do not believe that we are ever going to see people employed in Australia and be poor like we do in the US.

One of the greatest times where wages slipped was in the Keating/Hawke period (the recession we had to have). It was not until the Howard government that prosperity grew and real wages increased. (not all Howard's doing)

It was not until the Howard government that prosperity grew and real wages increased. (not all Howard's doing)

Ted, not saying this lot are any good, far from it, however for me, a better choice than the current alternative. Regarding the above comment, all well and good until work-choices came in, and this was the ultimate nail in the coffin for Howard.

Archived