Heavy Rain Late Fri & Saturday for SEQ

Gad

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING for Heavy Rain

For people in the Southeast Coast and parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett and

Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.

Issued at 4:45 pm on Thursday 23 February 2012

Synoptic Situation: An upper low will develop across southeast Queensland

overnight and move slowly westwards during the next 48 hours.

Heavy rain which may lead to flash flooding is expected to develop about the

Southeast Coast, far southern parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett and far eastern

parts of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts late Friday and continue

through Saturday morning.

24 hour rainfall totals of 100 to 150 mm are likely about the coastal ranges,

with isolated rainfall totals in excess of 200mm possible.

Locations which may be affected include Fraser Island, Gympie, Kingaroy, the

Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Toowoomba and Warwick.

Flood Warnings are current for various rivers and streams in these districts;

see www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings.

Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:

* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.

* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.

* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11pm AEST Thursday.

Kurwongbah has gone over already. NPD has 30mm to go before full plus the heavy rain warning makes for little or no fishing this weekend. Brisbane R above Linville is flooding and has cut recently repaired crossings up to No9 where me cobber lives. Poor coot was floodbound for a month straight last year and its on again. Ho Hum.

Its time for his 6 weekly shower :P

You haven't been fishing for 6 weeks and your picking this saturday to go wet a line or is that get yourself soaking wet

F it... i'm still going fishing saturday. I need my fishing fix bad. It's been 6 weeks since i've thrown in a line.

There is a nice little swirl going on now…. look out to sea on the MTSatelite Water Vapor Loop images a little further East then the current showers/rainfall visible on the SEQ Coast. This is where the build up is coming from this afternoon/tonight,as the upper low moves West/NW pulling it onto the coast and inland.

/>http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shwvgms.html

Kurwongbah has gone over already. NPD has 30mm to go before full plus the heavy rain warning makes for little or no fishing this weekend. Brisbane R above Linville is flooding and has cut recently repaired crossings up to No9 where me cobber lives. Poor coot was floodbound for a month straight last year and its on again. Ho Hum.

Received a texted warning that water releases from NPD will start T 0800PM tonight, so no hope of putting the canoe in even if the rain lets up a bit.

Might try some bank luring if the rain's not too bad.

The courier mails photo of the six mile bridge outside Cooroy gives some idea how much water came down and the force it had flowing down the creek

/>http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/authorities-kept-very-busy-as-heavy-rainfall-drenches-sunshine-coast/story-e6freoof-1226281233236

Also Gympie and Tiaro

/>http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/gympie-bracing-for-wall-of-floodwater-following-overnight-storms/story-e6freoof-1226281316096

It`s a bit ironic that since the Traveston Dam was knocked on the head by the Midnight Oilman,after all the No Dams rabid tree huggers declared that the river doesn`t carry enough volume of water to fill a dam,and their concern to save the "bum breathing turtle", virtually each year since then the Mary has had at least one major rain event gushing down its waterway.

Professor Tim Flannery....another fine example why you never take what is said for granted...even if they do sound impressive :whistle:

yes, history is full of shining examples of letting others think for you...

'All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.' :huh: … Adolf Hitler.

Archived