Make your own Live Bait Tank for $30

Aggro101

Hi Guys and Gals

In another thread I mentioned I had made my own live bait tank and a number of people pm'd me asking for the details, so I have taken some pics and put it together for anyone who wants it in a PDF. I used a 20 litre paint bucket, but one ingenious person suggested they want to use a beer keg. Awesome idea, I'd love to see some pics of that!

LiveBaitTank.pdf

Yeah, I get your point about a new bucket, but this was intended to be done at as low a cost as possible using bits and pieces you might find laying about where possible. My theory is recycle what you can from wherever you can. They will only end up in land fill otherwise. The paint bucket I used only took a minute to peel the dried paint out, once you lift a bit of it, the whole lot comes out in one piece - like peeling a sticker. Even if you didn't bother, I don't imagine the live bait would care what color their temporary home is.

You are right though, any water holding container would do just fine so long as it has a lid to stop your bait jumping out.

eug great question.

In a fully recirc system like this prob thge lower the better as old water will be forced to the top.

In a close system where new water isnt added at the top is best, with the actual ewater level lower.

This aids it breaking the surface tension allowing greater oxygen exchange.

Eug.... get a container from Mal. Cut the opening in the top to take out the handle and the spout but dont go right to the edge. By leaving a lip on it, it helps the water not slop over the edge. Cover the cut edges with some garden hose which has been split down the guts.

It already has a threaded opening at the bottom which is where pump the water in to flood the container and it flows out where you screw the outlet pipe into the side.

I have the inlet and overflow at the top so if I turn it off it doesn't just drain out. To get the new water to the bottom I just have the elbow pointing down which works a treat (new water forced down, old water forced up and out). As the water is changed continuously, there is no need to worry about aeration.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is 1 for $9. Buy a garbage can from Bunn---s. $8. Steal your old ladies nappy bucket, drill a heap of holes in it. Buy a $1 pool noodle, glue it to the inside of the nappy bucket. Tie a rope to the handle of the nappy bucket. Chuck the bin half full of water in your boat, put nappy bucket in it, catch livies, put em in nappy bucket. When you anchore up chuck nappy bucket over the side. Dont forget to tie it off. Livies will last weeks. $9 :whistle:

Archived