Things you have caught...besides fish

Boatleg1

Just wondered what type of things have been pulled up from the depths over the years?

A mate once hooked a rod and reel covered in barnacles and other growth.....both cleaned up well, with the reel being surprisingly waterproof after what must have been weeks under water.

Turned out to be a Spheros 14000FA. Both are still going strong after a couple more years of use.

Can't help but feel bad for the guys that lose gear. Guess most of us have done that too... :(

Myself, I once pinned myself to a 20lb cod. An 8o snell rig had caught the cod and the fish was attached to the bottom hook, I went to gill lift it in, it went beserk and the top True turn went through the back of my hand. I had to get one of the customers to push the hook through and cut the barb off so it could be pulled back through.

Found dead bodies twice in the brisbane river, while rowing not fishing though.

Caught a duck and many many turtles, about as interesting as it gets. Found a small fold up anchor inside of moreton when swimming - no rope, no chain, in about a 2 foot of completely clear water too....

Nothing too morbid, but back in NZ on a mild summers evening I caught a seagull using a floating rubber mouse at a river mouth. Wound it in with the rod tip wanting to pull up not down for once... and when I finally got it in I had the pleasure of dehooking it's wing and washing the crap out of my hand as I watched it fly off in ever decreasing circles.

went fishing with my brother at our jack spot and i got snag after snag , i started to pull it in but snapped my line . as it was pissing me of i went home. my brother went back the next day to the same place and the police pulled up a dead body my brother said the bloke had one of my lures in him but when my brother asked for it back they told him to piss off

I caught a Bat once (as in the mammal) on Glenelg jetty (Adelaide). Caught it on a 3" flickbait when I cast out, poor thing must have thought it was an insect.

I've also caught a pelican once on the Murray River that went after a Carp I had hooked.

One of my mates caught a seagull on a Gar line at Grange Jetty (Adelaide)

I also know 2 people who have caught foxes haha. Once in a river when they cast to the otherside and didn't realise until the fox ran off with their bait. The other time was when my friends were fishing in the surf in SA and the current dragged their pillie up onto the beach, the fox must have been scavenging on the beach and found the pillie.

Archived