Modifying my tinny - Casting deck and side pockets

woody1

Sorry about the crappy phone photos, when it is all done I will take some with the SLR

I bought my tinny about a year ago. It came really well set up with a sturdy floor (thanks coldasjoe) but I have been thinking of building a casting deck to add more space up the front when flicking lures and also give some better storage space. Some of the switches were getting a bit dicky, so it was also time to redo the wiring aswell. I had nothing to do last night and today, so decided to spend the day sweating it out in the shed. I wanted to keep the price down as much as possible, so this was never going to be a technically perfect job, more like a bunch of leftovers from the shed chucked together.

I started by pulling apart all the old wiring. The switches at the back of the boat have bever been all that useful to me, so i decided to move them to the middle of the boat, and build a little sidepocket to sit the sounder ontop of and put a new switchboard in – but that is a project for next weekend.

post-1348-144598760873_thumb.jpg

I marked everything out with cardboard – this old advertising from a dumpster outside a cinema was perfect

post-1348-144598760884_thumb.jpg

Everything was cut out of 16mm external ply (freebie) and sealed

post-1348-144598760894_thumb.jpg

The hatch is cut out so that it is supported by the frama all the way around, this makes it super sturdy to stand on

post-1348-144598760903_thumb.jpg

I made the frame out of some alloy angle and square hollow section. I can’t weld aluminium, so everything was riveted and screwed into place. There is a frame below for a piece of ply to sit on, this will be the inside of the hatch.

post-1348-14459876086_thumb.jpg

Marine carpet was cut out, stuck down with contact adhesive and stapled on the back.

post-1348-144598760913_thumb.jpg

Hallelujah, it fits!!!

post-1348-144598760923_thumb.jpg

Cut out a second hatch and added a hinge up the front for storage up into the bow

post-1348-144598760932_thumb.jpg

post-1348-144598760943_thumb.jpg

With the hatch open

post-1348-144598760953_thumb.jpg

At the moment the floor isn't screwed down so I can take it out and clean it - That will probably change if it kicks up and hitc me in the face on the water. The hatch in teh casting deck isn't hinged, I will probably pick some up next time I'm at a chandelery.

Still need to screw the lights back into the front, build the side console/pocket/thing and do the wiring. Will update as I go. it is a bit rough, but considering the only real expense was the carpet ($80 for more than enough) I am pretty happy!

Archived