My new project ( Toy)

rayke1938

I call it a project nut the missus says the senile old fart has a new toy.

Purchased a canoe and 3.5 hp suzuki 2 stroke off ebay a few weeks ago and seeing that i rashly promised to go to Euwan Maddock on sunday I decided I had better do something about preparing for the trip.

First job was to make a rack to attach to the bars on the Hilux took a bit of mucking around but did that yesterday. It will have to be modified as it is a bit flexy but will do for sunday.

Next job was to reinforce the gunnell of the canoe so that I could attach rodholders and outriggers.

Found some old electrical conduit in the shed that is a tight fit so I pulled it in place with a few G clamps and pop riveted it in and will also glue it in with some sealastic.

OOPs wrong photo

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/20 20:04

post-230-144598421537_thumb.jpg

Around lunchtime the real headscratching started. How to make an outrigger. Do I have it on one side like Steve Wilkes canoes or on both sides as I have seen elsewhere.

I had some 4 inch conduit in the shed but thought I would see how much the 6 inch stuff was worth.

Too dear so back to 4 inch stuff as I aslo had some endcaps and elbows.

Has a couple of lenghts of 2X1 aliminium box section for crossmembers so that one was easy.

I didnt know how deep to put the outrigger in the water and thought the canoe would be more stable with one on each side and it wouldnt matter if they were too deep.

So i started cutting and glueing. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_9478_AFO.jpg

post-230-144598421548_thumb.jpg

jeff f wrote:

hey ray what did you end up doing with those 2 little tri-hulls you picked up earlier in the year?

They are still sitting in the back vege patch. I will be advertising them for $200 soon. I just couldnt motovate myself to start work on them.

Ray

Here is the roof rack.

I am going to remake it and turn the rails on their sides as there is too much flex init when the canoe is tied down.

The rails are 2X1 rhs and i put them that way as I only had short U bolts to mount it to the bars on the ute. I tried to get some longer ones but nothing was suitable so it looks like I will have to get some 3/8 rod and bend and cut the threads myself. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010635_AFO-c49553e66912347d81740cb7f54fb012.jpg

post-230-144598421586_thumb.jpg

rayke1938 wrote:

Here is the roof rack.

I am going to remake it and turn the rails on their sides as there is too much flex init when the canoe is tied down.

The rails are 2X1 rhs and i put them that way as I only had short U bolts to mount it to the bars on the ute. I tried to get some longer ones but nothing was suitable so it looks like I will have to get some 3/8 rod and bend and cut the threads myself. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010635_AFO-c49553e66912347d81740cb7f54fb012.jpg

Make some \"seats\" up for the short clamps you have and attach them to the base of the rhs. You know like the clamping side of an exhaust pipe. (Turned around so curve goes around pipe on car, flat bit to bottom of RHS)

[img size=347]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/clamp_a.jpg

post-134-144598421614_thumb.jpg

i have some 10mm threaded barin gal if youd like a length ray it is in 2 metre lengths i have probably 4/5 of them pm me for phone number

rayke1938 wrote:

Here is the roof rack.

1. Faulked.

Thanks very much for the offer but I will go with ferals suggestion as I am basically lazy at heart.

Well it went ok but found some deficiencies in my design. The rod holders are mounted too close to the seats and you bang your kenne on them all the time.

The outriggers need to be mounted at the rear of the boat as thers is not much freeboard at the stern.

The seats are too low both of us could hardly stand after about 4 hours fishing.

I am going to see if I can scrounge some larger diameter plastic piping ( I am currently using 90mm stoirmwater downpipe )and remake the outriggers and use some 10 X 1 silkyoak as the outrigger cross bars and this can also be used as a seat.

They were submerged at the stern by about 2 inches and were exposed by about 1 inch in the front. They didnt seem to cause too much drag but as I am a novice maybe i am not qualified to comment.

Hopefully when I remake them with a larger diameter tube the increased bouyancy will make a difference.

I also realised how much I am out of condition my left shoulder is really sore and stiff.

Ray

Wife is still getting up me for all the rubbish around the house and as I was walking around deciding what token offer I could make to get rid of a bit more when i had a brilliant idea that will cure my bouyancy problem. Seeing that i wont be attaching an motor to the transom all I need to do is to dig up some gaffer tape, fencing wire and some pk screws and attach this to the transom. Brian could even come along and sit on it. :woohoo: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010639_AFO-e459b128cf65476e16573fede2e46022.jpg

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/23 19:17

post-230-14459842207_thumb.jpg

Archived