Sharks on handline?

shamus

If your lines strong enough, and your not silly enough to tie it to yourself there is no reason why not. I'd say 80lb, find somewhere you can tie it off, then just skull drag in what ever you catch.

Thats how we used to fish for them when I was a kid from the old James Holt pier.

i can supply you with some old 80lb of my big rigs i want to respool them any way there would be at least 400m of good 80 on each mybe another 200 of worn its yours if you have something to spool it onto gives me the perfect excuse to respool the pair just pm for my ph no

:)

Shamus if you are chasing the smaller river sharks you don't have to spend hundreds on an outfit (although we all try and tell ourselves otherwise:silly:). Anything with a reasonable drag and say 15 pound line will do you fine. Decent leader and sharp hooks are the most important thing! My fishing buddy Charles aka \"Romeo\":silly: has caught numerous sharks on an ancient rod and reel combo that someone gave to me and I passed onto him!:laugh: Its drag is absolutely woeful but he respooled it with 10 pound and he managed to land our biggest shark of last season with it lol! I wouldn't recommend this particular outfit for sharking though...:whistle:

As far as handlines go you certainly can use them for sharks but you will prob find it a handfull casting big baits and the like!

ps - wait until Spring to start sharking, otherwise you will get too disheartened!

Shamus my son, who is in th eNavy on boarder patrols catches Marlin and Macherells on hand lines.

The sharks in the river will be easy!:woohoo: Just tie th eother end to your car bumper bar and reverse. If you only have a push bike use low gear you you might get wet.:woohoo:

BTW Troy didn't only catch sharks he also landed some big salmon on hand lines. Just look at his ID photo, pretty sure he got that on a hand line.

Brian D wrote:

Shamus my son, who is in th eNavy on boarder patrols catches Marlin and Macherells on hand lines.

The sharks in the river will be easy!:woohoo: Just tie th eother end to your car bumper bar and reverse. If you only have a push bike use low gear you you might get wet.:woohoo:

BTW Troy didn't only catch sharks he also landed some big salmon on hand lines. Just look at his ID photo, pretty sure he got that on a hand line.

Brian is the eNavy for those online saliors? Haha just kidding my mate. Im the typo king!

Shamus: Mate the last few sharks i have seen caught in the river were pretty lame fighters. Salmon go way harder and they are caught on handlines, so the answer is yes, you can.

Troy, Mat and Jordan will remember this. The last decent shark they we really got in the river was at Newstead. The shark had unbeknown to us picked up the bait and tangled itself with all the other lines we had out. So in effect, even though it was caught on a rod, Jordan just had to pull all the line in by hand. That shark was a about 4 foot.

Angus

Here's a funny story. I caught this 4'+ bull shark and as I wanted some photos I decided to net it and drag it on board. It was heavy and needed 2 hands so I put the camera down and lifted.

Well the stipid thing went balistic, thrashing all over the boat and taking nips at everything that it could snap at. It only just missed the fuel line.

Evertime I tried to get a photo it bucked like a bundy bull.

I thought \"stuff this I want this crazy thing out of my boat before it does more damage\" so I picked up the net and was getting ready to chuck it back over the side when the bugger went straight thru the net and back onto the deck. Crap it nearly bit my foot off and I had to jump up on the seat.

I managed to get control by a 2 handed chocker hold, both knees into the back of the head with my full weight on the rotton thing.

I thought \"ok got you, now get out of ny boat\" so I lifted him onto the side ready for release. While he was sitting there I had a good idea: \"Take a quick release shot\" so I turned my head and reached for the camera while holding on with one had and crap me - it went balistic again, dropped to the floor and snapped at my leg missing by less then a mm. Few 1 lucky fisher I am.

Now you know why I like having deckies - that their job.:evil:

Funny - when Aaron and I caught the Hammerhead he said \"would you like it in the boat\" I quickly said NO!

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/07/24 15:23

Archived