New Boat Help. Advice? Whats good ?whats not?

momofromnz

HI Guys,

So i come from owning jetskis and having water sports fun and now that im getting older i start looking at boats being an alternative option.

The first question everyone asks is what will i be doing with it?

Fishing 60%

water sports 30%

Cruising a very odd 10% and i imagine will still wanna fish.

Want to be able to go out even if its a little rough and not get drenched because if thats whats going to hapen i might as well get a jet ski again.

I would like something comfortable and not cumbersome to ride,drive and maintain.

preferably an all rounder.

Is there such thing?? Budget wise i was looking into mid 20s now im thinking mid 30s is a better investment?

Will be mainly for me and girlfriend and possibly the odd 2-3 adults on board that would like to join us.

I have also come to the conclusion that i want an outboard due to not wanting to mess with inboard cost/service/issues.

The fibreglass / Ally argument? I still am very unsure.

Looked at boats like stejcraft/Stessco/Quintrex.

Quintrex ones have been either the 490 freedom sport or the 510 freedom sport. Bow riders.

At the moemnt i am looking at all options. Bowrider is not a specification,might want half cabin.

Soooooo,

Can anyone help? Direct me to the right direction? I am based in brisbane. Will most likely have the boat in the gold coast at a family house.

Suggestions? Ideas? Opinions?

All appreciated.

Mo

:cheer: :cheer:

now this is a hard one. if you want comfart go glass.

i personally love glass over alloy due to they sit in the water better. i own a 18ft hains half cab. i opted for the half cab due to i wanted to sleep if the fish were not biting and extra area to get out of the weather. alloy guys will recomend alley boats, glass guys will recomend glass boats.

basically, we can tell you what you want to hear, but in the end you will buy what suits you and your family, and remember, make it as comfortable as possible for your g/f.

cheers kurt

Hi Mo I went through the same process I did have a ski boat many years before we bought a Jet ski, after a while we decided that we needed to go to a boat. I was advised to go ally for my first boat as they are more robust but when you have a nicely painted ally boat you tend to baby it as well. The first Boat we got was a 525 stacer bow rider with a 115 on the back, it was a good fun boat easy to fish from could tow the kids around and was nice and light to tow around. But the worst ride possible in rough water. We upgraded to a 650 Sea Legend with 220 ponies' cost twice as much and uses a lot more fuel but what a sweet ride and the woman really appreciate the private toilet in the cabin. At 21 foot it is not hard to launch or retrieve by myself. I will not go back to a tin boat after the ride of a deep v glass boat but with the comfort you pay in the cost to move it across the water.

Thanks for your reply.

i am looking for a 18-19 ft boat. I hear the quintrex are as comfortable as glass if not more?

Stessco supposedly is alright but sell within 2 years due to crappy welding?

All sorts of stories...

Stejcraft? havent heard much about them at all...

Im still stuck in the Ally/Glass argument and i need help deciding on which one so i can start eliminating.

Such a tough task to find the perfect boat. :S

If you want a good riding boat there is no argument here,you have to go glass.

They all ride hard at times depending on the sea conditions but alloy will generally pound an awful lot harder.

Most alloy boats are also a lot wetter than glass boats.

I think the best type of allround boat is a centre cab.

You have the comfort of a cabin for warmth and dryness and a lot have room for a bunk or 2 as well as a toilet.

Best advantage is people can walk around the boat or fight a fish without the need to climb up onto a narrow and slippery gunnel or front deck.

like azza said, glass is alot maore comfortable, better than any alloy. like i said i have a 18ft hains, and it has been through all sorts of weather, and it handles it. it doesnt slap over wakes or swells, cuts through nicely. i also take out a good mates of mine 6.25m cruise craft ( glass ) and boy, the ride is wichedly good. i am selling my 18ft hains c, with a 200hp suzuki on her if you are interested. brand new floor and stringers and a trailer you will never find area due to i have custom built it cause of where i work. it also has a reinforced transom to acomadate up to a 250hp. i put a big motor on it so i could pull 4 bare foot skiers out with ease, and we also do alot of wake boarding, tubing ect. i fished from the logan river out to the 50;s in my boat, and it handles it.

now just remember glass does get dry rot, but not for many yrs if you look after it. and on another note unless you do something quite wrong, you should never cracks, split, ect in any stringers on a glass boat in rough weather, but alloy, being a soft metal will crack.

OK.. Thats been very hlepful.

Is ally really that rough of a ride?? Quintrex included? with all the hull modifications etc?

If i was to look at fibreglass whats reputable?good value for money?

And ally on the other hand? Same sort of question? who what why?

Thanks heaps guy been a great deal of help/

Hi Mo,

I have grown up around glass boats and it is always personal preference but generally glass will give you the better ride but require a little bit more for towing weight as well as horsepower on the hull. My family grew up with a home built 17ft ply hull then moved onto a couple of NZ Cresta Crafts before moving to Aus.

Due to storage and living on the Gold Coast we decided on a 530 Haines Bowrider with a 115 Suzuki 4 stroke, the Haines was good in the water and the 4 stroke was quiet and very fuel efficient while giving good speed..

Moving north to fish from Bribie and try to do more openwater fishing and cruising we were in a similar decision process 2 yrs ago. Dad was pondering the 575 Baysport, Yalta Craft and Stejcraft as serious options, they are all at the budget end of the market compared to Haines, Tournament and Cruise Craft but all had good value packages at just on $40k drive away.

We tested the Stejcraft and were interested but the dealer in question kept moving the goal posts on trade in value, it appeared to be an adequate hull design but the cabin interior was held in place with velcro and didnt appear to be finished well. These hulls are made in asia but finished on the Gold Coast.

Yalta Craft was the cheapest option and seemed to have the good value but seeing one at a boat show and climbing into the cabin to simulate an anchoring situation the hatch area was seriously lacking in reinforcing and the fibreglass appeared to flex noticably with my leaning over it.

Our chosen option was the 575 Baysport which after some discussion about extras and engine choice was selected with a 130hp Yamaha Saltwater- which goes well but ... and I emphasise BUT is very different to a modern 4 stroke or injected 2 stroke. The Baysport was at the maximum tow rating of dad's toyota sedan at 1600kg, I have a Pathfinder 4x4 which tows it easy. It is a comfortable riding hull with good water deflection in the rough, and can still clip along at 43mph on the flat stuff.

Baysport now do a 545 (just under 18 ft) and they can package around $35k at Bris Yamaha Burpengary with a 90hp 2 stroke.

These are personal opinions on new hulls, if you were looking at used for your money any 10 year old 17-19ft hull that looks in good condition should be good purchasing(especially in current economy), possibly talk hard for a deal and keep some $$ up your sleeve to repower with a modern 4stroke.

Good luck with your looking, and happy fishing

Personally i was leaning towards the Quintrex 510 as i thought it would perform the best and be the most all rounder i can find.

Open water fishing/Cruising is definitly on the menu . Im no expert etc but it feels like the ally boats have more room inside and with a bowrider i can have at least 3 people fishing comfortably.

That being said,fibreglass boats look good and seem to have all the comfort inside them>?

I have Ford Falcon ED. Reason i bought that car is so i can have it as my Tow hack.

Not sure what they are rated to. But i beleive what im looking for the ford will be able to tow.

Just to clarify. Especially because mad mullet got pissed off.

The reason i post up on here is because i need as many opinions as possible with many different options.

I thank you all for your replies. I still sit undecided.and appreciate all input.

The more the better. Keep em coming guys ;)

Just to add a bit to my earlier post my stacer cracked twice in three years just useing it in local waters I have not been in a Quinny but just to let you know both Quintrex and Stacer are made by Telwater in the same factory

a 5mtr quintrex will be fine in the broadwater area and around the pin...but if you have plans of going into moreton bay and offshore u will regret getting any alloy boat in that size....in anymore than 10-15 it will be quiet uncomfortable in a alloy boat that size offshore or open water in moreton bay...go glass mate will ride 10 times better than any alloy boat...have had both alloy and glass and by far the glass rides better..then throw a sharkcat or kevlacat in the mix and the other 2 wont come close.

from what everyone saying a fibre glass boat would suit me better?

question is , would my ford falcon tow it? its the old ED with the 4.0 ltr 6 cylinder..

What are some brands to look for? price wise as well? in the mid 30s?

I hear Haines every where i go. but which one? Also anyone has experience with Stejcraft?

Whats other brands i can look at? appreciate all your help guys. great response from very knowledgeable people.

So just to recap, Even with quintrex hull design out in the rough it wont be as good as a glass boat??

The falcon should tow up to two tons no sweat but a ford owner could confim that oh hang on I have one but it the wifs and does not have a tow bar.. The freedom sport range is a honest little boat and because of there good value new price you can pick them up quite cheap 2nd hand although there better boats around but if you want a late model they would be worth a look for your budget. If you go older you will get a bigger boat but I would be looking for a late model motor. Best advice I think I can give it to not be in a hurry and do lots of research. I waited and reseached and picked up my boats well under priced as now and then people just need to unload boats quickly.

Cheers

Archived