Kayaks in the dark

tugger

In the low light the other morning i was planning along in my boat and just in time saw 2 kayaks paddling around the reef we were about to fish and these clowns had no lights showing. If i hit and killed these fools they would still throw the book at me even though i displayed the appropriate lights from my vessel they seem to think they do not.

As well as having to defend my actions i would forever remember killing someone so if you do own 1 of these small craft please disply lights in the dark as you are a small target to see

a 360 white led light mounted on top of a hat /head lamp strap.just like what a boat has but on the top of there head should be law in low light /night time .

i do it in my canoe at dark ,a very bright led lantern mounted just above head hight .why cause i do not want to get run over by a boat etc,ok the mozzies and bugs are a pain but still better than getting run over .

I won't launch or stay out in the dark and I agree with Plastic Fantastic, common sense should prevail. I was under the impression anywatercraft was required to display an allround white light? The 2 you came across obviously don't have any regard for their own safety or for others and should not be on the water if that's the case.

the only safety laws for kayaks are about an all round white light and a torch to signal. I see alot of predawn kayaks and tinnies that only turn a light on to bait their hooks. Scarborough Reef is a shocker for it.I do go out in the dark and have a divers marker beacon attached to a pole about 60cm above my head and a headlamp and a whistle. I also avoid marked channels in the dark

Most of my near misses have been people trying to squeeze between me and huybers beacon when I am within casting distance of it, or busy rifling around their boat looking for a beer/lure/phone/whatever and not watching where they are veering off to.

I do believe the water police need to come down hard on any arseclown not lit up in poor light, whether on a kayak or other craft, so as to avoid a tragedy. Not too concerned about them if they get themselves killed, but feel for the poor bloke doing right who 'pulls the trigger' for them. And also for myself because there will be a media beatup about it and some stupid poorly formed legislation will be rushed through parliament which in turn affects me.

And at the end of the day you can't protect people from their own stupidity no matter how many regulations you impose on them.

All yaks should be made have nav lights on their vessels by law.

There is plenty of portable units available these days that run of D cell batteries like these ones.

They are very cheap and not worth the risk of being hit by a powerboat.

post-7680-144598765963_thumb.jpg
/>http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=185&p=product&id=141694&parent=220&vendorid=3

no disrespect Lance, but any registered tinnie should have them regardless, and jet ski's for that matter. As long as kayaks comply with current laws I don't think nav lights are really worth it. They sit so low on the water having the lights on anything less than a metre above the deck is totally pointless

To elaborate, when you stop paddling a yak without a rudder it will spin a bit before stopping. The nav lights would add confusion for a boatie as to your intention. And a lot of time you are drifting side on and not anchored as well

here's the result of a 38m flybridge cruiser on autopilot doing 20knots in the middle of the day off South West Rocks 2 years ago.

post-1039-144598765966_thumb.jpg

It reinforces the fact no amount of extra safety gear will save a yakker if a boat is not being operated in a diligent manner.

Tugger did the right thing and was paying attention. the two yakkers he encountered are in the same gene pool as the skipper of the flybridge cruiser IMO

Proper lights can be seen whether they are on a yak or boat.

All vessels are also required by law to have a light on board between sunset and sunrise.

Yaks will come under an oar powered vessel so a white light is required to be out on the water aftersunset but dont need red and greens to be legal.

less than a foot of swell will make nav lights disappear as the bow of a kayak is only inches above the water.

I have already stated that the white light is mandatory and agree with that, I disagree with your call that the red/greens be mandatory

Sailboats less than seven metres and vessels under oars must have a torch or lantern showing a white light ready to display in time to prevent a collision.Sport rowing ships

Ships engaged in rowing activities (training or competition) on the Brisbane River now need to display an all-round white flashing light if they are on the water before sunrise or after sunset.

This is from the maritime safety webpage. At the very least they should have been flashing a torch.

IMO, all yaks in low light conditions should show an all-round whit light. It's not that hard to mount one in a one meter length of PVC slotted in one of the rod holders!!

I tend to do a lot of night kayaking common sense to use a light at all times to signal the boats "im here"

I use the visicarbon pro and have had no problems :) . Tugger you should have gave them a yell and tell them that there asking for a death sentence!

If only it was Kayaks that are the problem.

I am a regular at Wello before dawn, and the amount of times I nearly paddle right into a boat that is sitting on the ledge with no lights is ridiculous. I make sure I am visible from the front and back, but this cuts down on my nightvision, so it means I can get within 10m of a boat before I see them.

It's an old topic and not just for kayaks, all vesels in the dark should have lights. I don't believe that red and green lights on a yak will do anything, mine would sit about 10cm from the waterline, so in any swell or chop they are not visible. I personally just use my headlamps front and back and have reflective tape, so it looks like my yak has just been to a rave. ;)

I almost hit two Kayakers in the Pine river one night. Luckliy for them, me and my passengers I always go slow around there and keep a good look out. These two were in dark green kayaks and wearing black. I would have been about 30mtrs away from and approaching when they decided to flick their little headlight on. All very well but they didn't realize when they turned to look not in my direction they dissapeared into the dark again. Very dangerous. It's only a matter of time before a terrible accident may happen. Make yourself seen a night whatever you may be in.

Archived