Have I understood the boating rules correctly?

Torb

Hi all,

Have just moved the whole family up to sunny Brisbane from Adelaide and me and my son want to buy a small boat to take our for fishing and general look around. As we have settled in Sandgate we have the river estuary to explore.

I have never owned a boat so therefore I don't have a licence and don't really know what boat to buy. As many people go out and buy themselves a boat and then don't use them I don't want to start off buying something big and expensive. Rather I thought I buy a small tinny and see how much my son (11 years old) and I use the boat. If we love it then we can trade up. Therefore I don't expect to take this boat out on the open sea, we will hang around the rivers and the outlet with such a small boat.

Is it right that if I buy a small tinny and keep the engine under 6 hp then I don't need to get myself a marine licence? Also, if the engine is not over 4 hp I don't need to register the boat?

Follow up question. Is a 4-6 hp engine big enough for a small tinny? I don't intend to go fast.

If you could give me some feedback on these questions that would be great. Then I will probably post another topic about what size tinny I should get etc.

Hello and welcome to AFO mate. First things first try to make it to a afo event and put some names to faces really lovely bunch of lads on here.

Im unsure of the legalities of the 4/6hp licence/rego question but i would recommend getting at least a 15hp otherwise youll spend a lot of time putting around and less time fishing! Marine licence is only a half-day course anyway so go for it.

id recommend getting a 4m tinny with a 25(or more if budget allows) - this size is great for rivers and estuary as well as getting into moreton bay on call days.

Goodluck with the boat search and hope your boy loves fishing as much as the rest of us

Getting a license is a piece of piss as Khoi said. I personally would get a boat that can get up and plan with you and your son and gear. It gets really quickly annoying if you can not. The Estuaries are a lot bigger than they look. It need not be that expensive to get a boat about 3.5 to 4m long with a 25 to 40 hp motor. This will allow you to also venture out to the close in islands like Mud on a good day. You can pick them up for 2 - $3000 if in your budget.

Thank you all for your feedback.

So, the licence shouldn't be deterrent. Well, I might as well get myself one then.

$2000-$3000 is within my budget, would be happy to spend up to $4000.

In summary what you guys are saying is to buy a 3-4 meter tinny with a motor not smaller than 25hp.

Should I look for a two or four stroke motor?

I assume for that money I would need to look for a aluminium tinny?

Any last bit of advice before I go looking?

It's worth getting your license

I did mine through http://www.abcboating.com - you do about a half day with them both theory & on water testing plus a multiple choice exam afterwards - can't remeber the cost of this course, maybe 150? give em a call

Then if you pass, you get a certificate to take to QLD transport and pay for your license roughly 60 bucks

Thank you all for your feedback.

So, the licence shouldn't be deterrent. Well, I might as well get myself one then.

$2000-$3000 is within my budget, would be happy to spend up to $4000.

In summary what you guys are saying is to buy a 3-4 meter tinny with a motor not smaller than 25hp.

Should I look for a two or four stroke motor?

I assume for that money I would need to look for a aluminium tinny?

Any last bit of advice before I go looking?

Definitely a tinny to start with. For the budget you will probably be only able to find a 2 stroke. 4 stroke rigs are normally a little more. for your first boat I would not be concerned with either a 2 or 4 stroke. 4 is more fuel efficient and quieter but nothing wrong with a 2 stroke on a little boat. I would recommend trying to get a combo with the Max motor size you are allowed. As in mine is a 40hp and that is the Max the Hull can take.

Make sure you have a good look over the trailer as well as this can cost you a bit if it is not up to scratch.

51MPL had a good thread a while ago when he was looking at some boats. I will see if I can find it and bump it for you.

Good Luck

A tinny around 4m with a 15hp plus engine would suit you just fine.

25-30hp is a great size motor if you want 2 or 3 people in the boat and can easily fish Moreton Bay in calm weather.

Below is a link to an online tutorial for getting a Marine Drivers Licence here in Qld and the second link is for an online self test to see how well you are learning the rules and regs.

Rules
/>http://www.abcboating.com/PDF/Qld_boat_licence_pre-study.pdf

Test
/>http://www.abccourseonline.com/dmo/qldboat/index.html

Lance

A tinny around 4m with a 15hp plus engine would suit you just fine.

25-30hp is a great size motor if you want 2 or 3 people in the boat and can easily fish Moreton Bay in calm weather.

Below is a link to an online tutorial for getting a Marine Drivers Licence here in Qld and the second link is for an online self test to see how well you are learning the rules and regs.

Rules
/>http://www.abcboating.com/PDF/Qld_boat_licence_pre-study.pdf

Test
/>http://www.abccourseonline.com/dmo/qldboat/index.html

Lance

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

First off welcome to the site

my 2cs for your questions (for what it`s worth)

Quote: …. I don't expect to take this boat out on the open sea, we will hang around the rivers and the outlet with such a small boat.

Is it right that if I buy a small tinny and keep the engine under 6 hp then I don't need to get myself a marine licence?

A licence is required to operate any boat which is powered by a motor of more than 4.5kW (over 6HP),

Also, if the engine is not over 4 hp I don't need to register the boat?

Correct: All boats fitted with a motor or auxiliary of 3kW (over 4hp) and over require registration when on the water in Queensland.

Follow up question. Is a 4-6 hp engine big enough for a small tinny? I don't intend to go fast.

IMO,a 6 hp would be suitable for a light 2.4–3metre (8-10ft) tinny.bearing in mind that with 1 adult and 1 child,a couple of fishing rods,a tackle box,a small esky and life jackets,bailing/bait bucket,anchor etc,there will not be too much/if any space to spare.

Your statement “I don't intend to go fast.†Will be a factual, you won`t be going fast.

Going by your stated intentions and questions,IMO,the smallest o/b sizes you should look at would be 9.9hp-15hp with a light 3.4-3.6 metre tinny.

When thinking of not having to pay for a boat licence and annual registration fees for a small outfit, you also have to weigh up the facts that you will have a lot of restrictions eg: lack of power and space, how far and where you can safely travel, a not quite good day on the water for a 9.9hp-15hp with a 3.4-3.6 metre tinny, may be a not on the water day in a 2.4–3metre with a 6hp.etc.

Also, with a child on board, a slightly larger outfit, would also have that added safety margin

i live at deagon and like to troll up cabbage tree crk i have an old 4m tinny and i use and electric motor with large deep cycle batteries this gives me plenty of range for the river 7km of navigable water but i have recently found out that as i dont pay rego im not allowed to launch at a public ramp incidently the hole river is a go slow zone so it really dosnt matter howbig your motor is you shouldnt bee going fast anyway

i live at deagon and like to troll up cabbage tree crk i have an old 4m tinny and i use and electric motor with large deep cycle batteries this gives me plenty of range for the river 7km of navigable water but i have recently found out that as i dont pay rego im not allowed to launch at a public ramp incidently the hole river is a go slow zone so it really dosnt matter howbig your motor is you shouldnt bee going fast anyway

Jason, where and how did you find out about not being able to launch at a public boat ramp? If its just word of mouth then I will give you enough logic to dispel it, if its written regulations then it needs lobbying to change.

gday booty it was pointed out to me by a salesman at northside marine it would apear that to use a unregisterd water craft it cant use a public ramp it utterly blew me out i was there to buy a small out board for my old tinny so he missed a sale so i hope he is right he did show me something i cant remember quite what it was though

I would have to say I think he led you astray else whatever reason. It would come down to a couple of things.

A boat ramp is a public facility open to use by the public whether a fee is paid or not. It and any adjoining carpark is classed as a road related area. So a boat on a registered trailer is entitled to be there and use the facility. My sailboat does not need registration but can be driven to and launched from a public ramp via a registered trailer. And I would strongly state my case if I was told I wasn't allowed to do so.

What about a tinny upside down on a box trailer? Same deal as above but this is where commonsence would come in about floating it away from the ramp to fit electric, gear etc.

What about a kayak on a truck or tray back? Who cares.....;)

Fantastic forum, can't believe how many helpful replies, much appreciated.

You have answered my questions and I now know what to go and look for. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether to buy it at a boat shop or private. I guess I'll get a feel once I go and look in a couple boat shops. Any good ones near Sandgate? Being new to the area makes it harder so any help would be great.

Cheers,

Torb

Archived