Garmin custom maps

regulated

OK don't know who else is pov like me but I use a garmin 62 handheld for my GPS in the boat. I put bluechart maps on it but it doesn't look great, doesn't show depths correctly so I followed garmins guide and put on a google earth custom map for the amity area to avoid the sandbars. I've attached it if anyone needs it. Guide is here http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps

I am planning on converting the MBMP maps to custom maps soon too. Just need to convert them to big jpegs.

They are a bit weird but. Last trip I had a look at a gps location on the map SW corner of peel that said it was within the conservation zone but drove to the point and there was a sign there stating its a no fishing are :huh::huh:

Amity.zip

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have mapped a bit of stuff while the weather has been average (see attached image). Anyone with a newer Garmin GPS that can handle Garmin custom maps can throw the .kmz files on. I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet as they are around 10mb for each file. I have not tried them yet but they look ok on the GPS and basecamp. Limitations are you can only load one or two of the maps at a time due to a restriction garmin has on the GPS. I am trying to find a way around it at the moment.

post-9503-144598777249_thumb.jpg

i have been using the navtronics app for iphone. with no problems for $16 its a great buy even if you dont have a smart phone you can get i cheep $100 - $150 should do. they have this app for android phones aswell. it has pre loaded points of intrest e.g all reefs in the bay. when i went to cochie the marks for the reef balls were spot on. so as the arow went over the mark a ball showed up on my sounder.

yeah its pretty good hey. Saw shane using it and as long as your phone doesn't get wet its sweet. Great for navigating down the channels. I don't have a iphone and the only reason for creating the maps were for the green zones. Worked alright on the weekend, just need to do some tinkering.

when i went out to peel the green and yellow zones were pre loaded onto the maps but you had to zoom in to see them. i havent been to any other spots that have green, yellow or go slow zones. but i think the maps in this app are the same as what you get for a chart ploter.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to make maps anymore. They worked pretty good but the current Garmin bluechart maps like VPC022 V13 have them displayed now. Just had to change the mode to Marine-Nautical instead of fishing and they are on there. Takes a bit of the guesswork out of it but still keep an eye on it, never rely just on the GPS. A bit of cloud cover and it can throw the accuracy right out.

Archived