Nice finsh to a slow day

Shane69

After having a mackerel donut again with Mark at Palm beach i planned to head out in the bay to chase spotties. Try to get my mojo back up. I dont think il ever catch a mackerel at palm beach. I am jinxed at the place. The bays so much easier to targert them.

Plans changed when i took up deckie spot with (MOTO) Dave and his son Max. We headed out of South passage at first light. It wasn't the prettiest of the crossing but the big 6.5 cruise craft made it look easy. We saw the bar turn from good to bad in matter of minutes. We got out of the Northern channel and headed to the local haunt.(Tugger's Rock). We stopped at Shag rock to get some livies. Only managed a few wip tails. After a while we saw in a distance another boat cross the bar. It was Mark. We made our way to the rock. He anchored up and started fishing while we did a few drifts. Caught a few leather jackets. Our anchor wasnt holding so we decided to go for drift. We caught heaps of little snapper and probaly 5 just on 34. It got annoying as the we kept getting pickers as there was next to no current. I also saw a massive GT hanging around the rock. I got tempted to throw in a popper but i didnt want to get spooled. I needed gear to fish rest of day

We went for a troll. Max had some sort of small shinny skirt on and i had my trusty blue halco deep diver. After 30 minutes of trollng Max got a hit. It was a stripy tuna. After that they came on bite i changed to a skirt to. We ended up getting about 8-10. It was good fun on trollng gear as we skulled draged them in lol.

The Swell dropped down so we decded to go for a drift again as the tide was changing. We ended up picking 2 legal snapper just under 40, heaps of under size onesand 4 nice spangled emperor. 81 bggest 68 smallest, Few under sized ones too. We got reefed a number of times. It didnt matter as our esky was looking good.

Ended up going for a troll before heading back in. No hits this time. We drove through a school of spotties but no hookup. I think they were busting up slimy mackerel. Tried casting slugs at them but they went straight under.

On our way in we saw a few more schools of longtails and more spotties.

All up it was a good day. Not the greatest conditions but some good fishing. Max got his biggest fish in a long time too.

Thanks again Dave for taking me out. I had a really good time.

post-9281-144598768894_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598768906_thumb.jpg

Shane

Great work there Shane, wishing I went out today.... It's been over a month since I wet a line and my trip with Smithy tomorrow got cancelled again...

But hey I'm living up to my rep with Smithy, being his unluckiest customer with weather cancellations(record is 13 in a row!!!!) right now I'm up to 4 haha

Were the spangles on livies or floating?

Cam

good fish mate well done..the macks have all but gone in the bay i think we managed 1 keeper and 5 banito...very quiet with bugger all bait on the sounder

Yeah mate i saw a few schoolies today. No birds though. Just random bustups.large schools too. Going to wait till weather gets better than go back in bay to chase them.

Great work there Shane, wishing I went out today.... It's been over a month since I wet a line and my trip with Smithy tomorrow got cancelled again...

But hey I'm living up to my rep with Smithy, being his unluckiest customer with weather cancellations(record is 13 in a row!!!!) right now I'm up to 4 haha

Were the spangles on livies or floating?

Cam

Yeah cam not many boats out offshore yesterday. You should come out next time we go.

We got most fish floatlining. Threw plastics around but not much luck so back to bait.

You being going beacons?? I heard the schoolies are biting hard over there. I needa give bay another go but its so hard not to go offshore on a good day lol.

.... I also saw a massive GT hanging around the rock. I got tempted to throw in a popper but i didnt want to get spooled. ....

Chicken ! :P:lol::lol:

Lol if you saw the size of this thing you would have reeled all your lines in too. We were using small spin reels with 20 lb braid 20 lb leader. No chance.

It was massive.biggest one i have seen. We tried to troll past it with skirts but he didnt take it.

nice one shano, i wouldnt mind getting stuck into a few of those spanglies they would go hard at that size i reckon.

that gt sounds like a monster!

You needa come out with us one day zano.

Man weathers pretty crap for next few weeks but As soon as it settles id be keen to go on trip with you and eddie out wide. I have got a few marks out there that i want to try but my boat wont go there.

Bro those spangled fought better than most snapper i caught there. I reckon its cause we got them in shallow water. They go hard. We lost soo many too cz they went straight in reef.

Shane

Archived