Stopping the Unstoppables

tugger

Well a few mates of mine decided to try to pull some of these brutes from my favourite spot off stradie so it was an early start on saturday. Got to the bar right on first light and steamed steadily through as the tide had only started to run out with no heavy tidal flow yet.

Jigged up a couple of yakkas and a trev at shag rock for live bait then pointed to bow towards my usual spot and anchored up. The livies never got touched but the pillies we floatlined were a diferent story it was stopping them was the problem.

Many fish were lost on anchor and only very small fish were landed just 1 legal snapper and a just under cobia till we decided to do some drifts late in the morning. First couple of drifts we still were getting reefed by these brutes using heavy gear and directly over the fish.

post-4390-144598769312_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598769322_thumb.jpg

Next plan was to drag them out with the boat once we hooked them so the first go was succesfull with my mate hooking up and i drove off. He landed a good snapper going 68cm but this was not the kingies we still were trying to stop.

post-4390-144598769292_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598769303_thumb.jpg

The next fish my other mate hooked up and i drove off untill the angle of line was near the surface again and he started to fight it again but half way in the line peeled off fast and then went slack but the weight was still there.

The result

post-4390-144598769332_thumb.jpg

The next drift i was on to a big fish so my mate drove the boat untill the line was up again and i fought the fish but again the same thing happened and i could only call it for being sharked again. The heads on these snapere we got in were solid and could only be 80cm plus fish so i decided to just fight the fish from then on with out the boat.

The next drift i hooked onto a solid fish and after a couple of minutes it came to the surface and we all saw a huge cobia but as the rest of the fish when it neared the boat it took off again back to the bottom to reef me again.

post-4390-144598769342_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598769351_thumb.jpg

In the end i went through a whole box of hooks (50) to these brutes thinking we had stopped a few of them only to be reefed after solid runs back to the bottom.

One funny moment i had hooked a small snapper late in the morning on the drift only to be hit half way up by a kingie and the fight from there began for a couple of minutes then the line took of incredibly fast and strong to much for the kingie i was fighting and snipped after about 30m of line stripped. So it went from a small snapper swallowed by a kingie which they love to eat the a couple of minutes later swallowed by a shark.

There was some big kingies, snapper and sharks there and i'll pull the odd one out every now and again is the way i look at it

post-4390-144598769361_thumb.jpg

Some good fish there tugger,

What line class are u fishing in that area, we normally use 40-60 main and 60-80 in leaders

And have put plenty 30kg+ cobia in the boat as well as some 8-9kg snapper and spangles

Good report mate glad your getting out there, its been too long for me

Cheers

Josh

I was using 40lb straight through saturday then upgraded to 50lb and my mate was using 60lb with 80lb leader and we could not stop them over that reef where are you fishing

Some good fish there tugger,

What line class are u fishing in that area, we normally use 40-60 main and 60-80 in leaders

And have put plenty 30kg+ cobia in the boat as well as some 8-9kg snapper and spangles

Good report mate glad your getting out there, its been too long for me

Cheers

Josh

Normally target jew and spangles starting south of hendersons looking for the kelp beds and slimy mac bait balls then work a few pinacles and isolated rocks looking for xos snapper and cobia on the coffe rocks west of the henderson rock area,normally look around the sevens, boat rock area for them also ,

There is some amazing rocks /pinacles and ledges in those areas and some serios caves that hold some trophy fish, 14-15 kg blue tooth parrot 8-9kg spangled emperor and some big cobia and yt kings .......

Cheers

Josh

Yes there were some good shows on the sounder then bang

Beasts! That's outta control losing a box of 50 hooks to those brutes. Can you see them on the sounder when you drift over?

Too bad about those snapper. They're bigger than the majority of the ones I seem to keep catching :D

mate thats great cant wait until i can get out there so you think driving the boat over them is the go,you seem a fair way off the rock i was thinking of going south a bit and give it a go,how did you drop the anchor, i was thinking a long line clip on another ball allready conected to the rope so its just a mater of undo and go,so there is some big cobes there hey,shame about the sharks.

Brad i was drifting so we powered off and brought them to the surface with the boat

mate thats great cant wait until i can get out there so you think driving the boat over them is the go,you seem a fair way off the rock i was thinking of going south a bit and give it a go,how did you drop the anchor, i was thinking a long line clip on another ball allready conected to the rope so its just a mater of undo and go,so there is some big cobes there hey,shame about the sharks.

Brad i was drifting so we powered off and brought them to the surface with the boat

mate did you lock the drag right up then drive off or was it still taking line while you were driving of if that makes sense?

Archived