Filling your boat up at BP - Look closely!

bootyinblue

Was filling one of the cars up today at BP and having a browse at the bowes at the same time.

Was anyone else aware that BP 91% and E10 now the same thing?

There appears to be no more E10 branded petrol and the BP 91% now has a little sticker underneath saying it may contain up to 10% ethanol and is not recommended for use in boat motors.

I dont often fill up with 91 or 95% stuff so dont remember seeing it before, or have I been driving blind for ages now.

Yeah its was like that previously but they had to switch back to straight 91 a while ago because of an ethanol shortage. They now have ethanol and it is returning to the pumps. I don't think the stickers ever got removed from BP Burpengary, think they were getting it the whole time. Some of the larger BP's have a brochure for boaties recommending 95 or 98 due to the ethanol.

Apparently it is a government initiative. They have to have a certain amount of pumps with ethanol. Some green planet thing (probably introduced by labour :evil: :evil: :evil: )

No proof but have seen it in other threads from inferiour forums

oh if you wana know how to test the fuel for ethenol its real easy.

ethanol attracts and absorbs water.

for the test more fuel used the better.

i use a 1.5 lt plastic measure jug that i got from kmart for the test

fill the jug to the 1Ltr measure mark with the fuel then top the jug up with water to the 1.2ltr mark give it a good stir and let it settle and seperate. if it is good fuel no ethanol you will see the water and fuel seperate and the water mesurement in the jug should still read 200ml and another 1000ml (1Lt)of fuel will be siting on top of the water.

if the fuel contains ethanol(ethanol absorbs water) you will see that the seperation line will be sitting 210ml which means there is 990ml of fuel sit ontop of the water but you only put in 1Ltr (1000ml)of fuel this fuel contains ethanol and has atracted that much ethanol into water in that short period of time. :ohmy:

the one thing i will not do is put ethanol through my outboard

edit i do believe some new outboards can handle ehanol

You don't need to use a 1.5 lt jug.

Get hold of a 50ml plastic test tube (the one that comes with a screw on lid), put in 40 ml of fuel and 10 ml of water, give it a good shake and leave it to settle for a minute or so. If there is now more than 10 ml of water, it means there's ethanol in the fuel.

As far as I know the only thing wrong with the ethanol fuels is the water absorption, which can lead to corrosion and/or contamination issues. And the reason they say not to use it in boats is because the boat can sit for a month or more between uses. If you use it all up straight away it should be ok.

I.E. you HAVE TO GO FISHING :woohoo:

As far as I know the only thing wrong with the ethanol fuels is the water absorption, which can lead to corrosion and/or contamination issues. And the reason they say not to use it in boats is because the boat can sit for a month or more between uses. If you use it all up straight away it should be ok.

Its ridiculous advice like this that can cause someones 20k outboard to go bang. Or even worse causing them to break down when they are 50k offshore and the weather is turning nasty.

The moment it is produces it has the potential to absorb water. And it does so when sitting in a container at the petrol station.

/>http://theoutboardwizard.com/outboard_engine_damage_and_ethanol_fuel.html

Your motor might handle it like you car but many boat fuel tanks and fuel lines wont as ethonal is is like thinners and can degrade these items very quickly allowing contiminates into your fule syestem and at thevery least you will be replacing the fuel syestem which wont be cheap if you have fuel injection

Ethanol also separates the oil in a two stroke mix. I have witnessed this first hand when I used ethanol mix by mistake. 1 cylinder later the mechanic showed me a sample from my fuel tank with the oil clearly separated. Another reason Katter's ideas aren't well translated to the real world.

Archived