Matching a TLD with a Surf Rod

RUSSIAN

Hi guys...

As the title suggests, I am asking advice on matching a TLD 20 with a surf rod. My TLD 20 is spooled with I think it's 40lb braid, and 400-600m of it. I am wondering if it's possible to match a TLD 20 with a surf rod. I am needing to do this because judt last week, my friends who live down at the Tweed, pulled out a 25kg GT off the mouth of the rock wall. I though this was incredible, and I though to myself that I could possibly do this if I had the sort of gear. My big spinning reels unfortunately only hold an approximate line cappacity of 150-200m, ans I don not think this is enough. My other reel is spooled with 30lb but 500m of it. But I thought 30lb wont be strong enough. So I considered my overheaders which contain both aspects, lots and lots of line and its heavy, ranging from 40-50lb. So guys, my question to you is: I recently bought a rod off Matt (Bommie) which is a 3.6 8-15kg surf rod. Will this rod be able to hold my TLD 20? Is an overheader the way to go? Also, if the rod would not be able to handle it, what will? (What type of rod? Suggest one..) Also, another thing to consider, do i need a surf rod off these rocks? My answer would be yes, but I am not a professional fishermen, therefore I am seeking advice from others. All, advice, suggestions and in put would be really really appriciated!

Cheers

Anthony B)

well to start with if you had a spinning reel on it previously then it not a rod you put an overhead on.

Have you ever tried casting a TLD.

Good luck

I have seen purpously surf rods designed for overheads and I don't believe that this rod is designed for it. I can cast a TLD yes... And not too badly at that either.

Cheers

Anthony B)

Sorry mate but a tld will not cast, was never will never cant ever be used as a " casting " reel

I know its not a casting reel, but it is possible to cast with it. And if the TLD is not the option to put on the surf rod, I have a Penn 330 GTI thats has never let my down. I can also probably cast further with this than a TLD.

Anthony

Well, the location I am tending to fish is very simple. As long I can cast with an overhead 20metres then i'll be fine. As when the bait hits the water, the current will take it out automatically, and the trap will be set. As I plan to fish this location on an out going tide. So the real main question is, what type of rod do I put a overhead reel on... I guess i'll have to purchase a properly designed rod for an overhead reel...

Cheers

Anthony :)

you guys are funny,,,

Anthony I have used overhead reels on them rods(tld's included) and can cast a good distance, set up the reel right and the right weight and you can outcast an alvey and spinning reels, just practice, will show you how if you want when we catch up for a fish or when I drop that rod cover off to you,

Matt.

Sorry mate but a tld will not cast, was never will never cant ever be used as a " casting " reel

A little wrong their, i can cast any reel you put in my hands, including my 80w's.

Now russian, with practice, you most des will be able to cast ur tld20, its not hard al all, i use mine fir spining of rocks down coffs harbour and afew othet places, i can cast mine 50-60m with a ( i think its ) 70g australia flasher or raider.... Mate get out on a football feild or open area and practice, mate your casts fluent, keep ur thumb lightly on the spool. You will get birds nest but practice makes perfect,

Good luck

sorry mate you are wrong there a tld will cast quite well on a surf rod if its the right surf rod, you need a extra high mount reel seat. it takes some practice getting used thumbing a reel that big

you guys are funny,,,

Anthony I have used overhead reels on them rods(tld's included) and can cast a good distance, set up the reel right and the right weight and you can outcast an alvey and spinning reels, just practice, will show you how if you want when we catch up for a fish or when I drop that rod cover off to you,

Matt.

agree100%

Well there you go I alway thought a tld wasnt a "casting " reel haven't seen too many people use them in casting comps either? Maybe mad mullet can do it with his macgyver like skills ??

Let us know how u go Russian :)

Cheers bud, I plan to fish the tweed rock wall with a big live mullet under a float. I'll float it out like 2-300m and the trap will be set. Fishing will comence when the holidays start (this comming friday :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: )

Thanks again guys

Anthony B)

this cracks me up! never is such a quality word!

imagine ron calcutt giving up on what he was doing in the 70s n 80's after some old timer said "bahhh you cannat do that! wheres yer alvey"

if it weren't for the unconventional, we would never have any progress!

when i was young i cast every type of overhead i could get my hands on, and loved it, and the land based gamefishing/high speed spinning with overheads was the only direction my fishing took.

Go for it Russian!

Yeah mate go for it!! You've definitely got a real passion for fishing buddy, especially for a young bloke. In the not too distant future your generation will be coming up with a bunch of new ideas and tackle we'll never have thought of. Just like planet fonz says......never say never! good luck to you mate and I hope to see a report of your holidays ion a couple of weeks. :)

Well, I have just taken the TLD 20 and Penn 330 gti off their own game rods to decide which one i am going to mount onto my surf rod for rock fishing... The penn is spooled with heavier braid (50lb) and it has the line distributer (or what ever you call it) but it has star drag... The 20 has lighter braid (30 or 40lb i think) but it does not have a line distributer (I find it easier to have a line distriuter on the reel becasue then all of your concentration is on fighting the fish and not evenly distributing line onto the reel) I need your guys help and opinions to help me decide. I am leaning towards the penn becase the braids heaver, its easier to use and i believe its lighter. But i am not a professional so your input and opinions will be really greatly appriciated!

Cheers and thakns again guys!

Anthony :)

Try and cast them both see which one you can cast further and which one sits better on the rod etc also which has a bigger line capacity more pulling power if you will need these things etc flick us a pm when ur trying to cast em and I might be able to give you a hand and get you onto some eels to take home for bait :)

I have a gillmaster 1202 12ft 2 piece rod I bought a couple of years ago of the net . I can outcast alveys with my ABU 7000 with unweighted pillies. I have found in the past that overheads with bushes like pen210 or my ABU can outcast a bearing real like pen310. But the dow side of these reels is the gearing is a bit low and throwing metal slugs for tailor can be hard work compared with the retreival rates of big spinning reels,

Archived