Interesting Sonar paints HDS-8 Bris river mouth

Homer4duff

Dhess and I went for a fish yesterday on on the Brissie river near the Luggage Point beacon. A quiet session which resulted in a nice flattie around 60cm lost at the boat and Dhess catching an average catty. A couple of livie baits lost and bitten clean through but no hookups.

While anchored I had a play with the new sounder (HDS-8 Gen 2 with structure scan) and got some interesting paints, especially on the downscan.

A really good paint on the sounder with an actual fish (bull shark?) painting on the Sonar.

post-9629-144598771522_thumb.png

Here is a really cool sonar pic of a massive bait ball

post-9629-144598771538_thumb.jpg

The last pic is of a couple of decent fish on the bottom. You can also clearly see the current line at about 4.5m mark.

post-9629-144598771549_thumb.jpg

The first pic is a screenshot where the other two were taken with my phone before I worked out how to take a screenshot.

We stayed until about 7:30pm when we could no longer withstand the incredible onslaught of mossies that descended at dusk in their millions smashing any exposed flesh and seeming to be really RID resistant....BASTARDS!

a little trick i use is those mosquito coils, light one up in the cage thing they provide and place it high and upwind (keeping in mind of fuel breather, etc.). seems to keep most of the mozzies away and bareable, also keeps your hands clean of any repellent.

some neat images there, pretty amazing what they can do now. still trying to figure mine out, heaps of functions!

Thanks Eug, Yep I reckon we could smell mossie coils from the boat upwind from us. Next time for sure. I'm still trying to figure my sounder out too :-)

Bi_Polar the structure scan is really cool. The images here are downscan mode, I got some interesting side scan images also but didn't get any pics of them.

Cool, what frequency are they running the side scan at?.....800Khz?

Yep 800kHz for better definition or 455kHz for more distance. The structure scan overlay feature is impressive overlaying the sonar scan over the gps trail as you drive along. If u see anything of interest u can simply move the cursor over the feature/fish and create a waypoint, even if it is to the side of the boat, and then travel back directly to it.

Really really good feature.

No idea always less depth on ss for some reason.

Dont have Lowrance structure scan myself but fish a bit with people that do.

Sensitivity is low and on auto ? in pics so hard to determine what you are seeing ie no yellow in sonar return try 75% manual as a starter and adjust from there Lowrance website has heeaps of screenshots and info.

Have a Humminbird 998 myself.

Why does the depth on the split screens read differently

Pretty sure its because the sidescan transducer is always mounted lower than the regular transducer. From memory looking at Travis' boat it was only a few cm. There is always going to be abit of error as well.

Archived