Couple of Firsts at Maroon Dam

JarrydA

So this weekend me and the missus decided to head out to Maroon dam for a quick overnight camp, with the intent to go for a early morning paddle. For me to chase that elusive first bass.

Got there around midday on Saturday (the election held me up from getting away early...)

Setup camp and sat around for a while, setup my red claw traps and headed down to the water in the late arvo for a quick paddle for a look around and to set the traps. I flicked a few lures with dozens of hits from what i suspect to be small spangled perch but no hookups. We did get to see some great scenery though!

SDC12230.jpg

SDC12231.jpg

After this, went back to camp for a few brews and a good nights sleep for the early rise thismorning.

Got up around 4.30am and headed down to a beautiful morning on the dam. I then started my paddle around the edge of the dam, throwing poppers and cicadas with not even a touch. Which surprised me as i heard this place was great for topwater bass..Maybe i was just doing it wrong :blush:

Oh well, kept at it. Around 6.30 i pulled up beside a fellow yakker who was fly fishing, he noticed i was fishing surface and gave me a tip about the location of the bass at this time of day. I took this knowledge and changed lure, to a small hardbody diver.

Two casts later, i pulled up this 41cm Bass! My first bass, and apparently a big one for the area! Stoaked :woohoo:

SDC12252.jpg

Had some more casts after this but didnt manage to land anything else, hooked up once more but dropped it, Oh well.

Headed back, pulling my traps on the way back and also got a feed of red claw! SDC12255.jpg

Another first, having never fished qld dams before id only heard of these beasts, and now im hooked, cooked them up for breakfast!

SDC12269.jpg

Overall it was a great weekend spent, and ill definately be heading out there again soon!

Maroon has a great Surface bite usally early morning and late afternoon. 2 of my pro-anglers (John and Ben) went there on Saturday morning and caught 15 legal Bass before knocking off at 9-30am by which time the Bass had moved out in the weedy areas. Largest they caught was only 41cms but plenty available.

The 2 lures that did all the damage was the Austackle Chugga and the Austackle Joey. The Chugga swims about 600mm under the surface and the Joey is a 'walk the dog' topwater lure.

Chugga is a very easy lure to use. Just cast it out and slow retrieve with pauses. Next to the lily pads seems to be the best early morning spots especially around the points.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

Mike Cole

post-9073-144598771757_thumb.jpg

post-9073-144598771767_thumb.jpg

post-9073-144598771777_thumb.jpg

post-9073-144598771788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips mate, ill grab some of those lures and test em out next time.

By the way, cant see it in the pic, but that bass i got was on an Austackle Camo stick pro ;)

You can see from the photos the guys sit about 25 metres off the lily pads. They actaully try and land the lure on top of the pads and then jek them off causing a splash followed by a slow retrieve. Often they get hit within the first 5 metres of the retrieve.

You can see from the photos the guys sit about 25 metres off the lily pads. They actaully try and land the lure on top of the pads and then jek them off causing a splash followed by a slow retrieve. Often they get hit within the first 5 metres of the retrieve.

Thats exactly what i was doing! Probably just the wrong choice of lure. Or lack of choice, ive only just started lure fishing and dont have a large selection.

some days they just don't want to even swirl around a surface lure and the next you can smash heaps. It is just part of the appeal of bass fishing. Redclaw numbers definitely seem to be climbing, should be plenty for a feed from a few pots sunk in the right spot.

Which camp ground did you stay at?

Congrats on your first bass and a good size too and that looks like a good feed of redclaw too. I might have to head up that way for a go as I spent 3 hours paddling around my local today for a donut.I think there is still too much flow in the area I hope they haven't moved on.

Archived