Etec90/Optimax90/Yami 80 (4 stroke) Advice needed

momofromnz

HI All,

Yess yess i am sure this has been discussed before.

looking at getting a Quintrex freedom sport 510. All 3 motors on offer. Seems like the Etec is the best priced followed by the Opti then the Yami.

Whats a good all rounder? Will be doing a bit of fishing and cruising, Mainly taking of from the Gold coast and want to acually get out in the deep sea.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

Momo, if you're mainly fishing and cruising, and not doing a great deal of trolling, perhaps the etec or opti. Either one really as they're both mechanically and electronically brilliant engines. (just don't expect to pull them apart out at sea and fix them unless you've got a mechanic on board... and his gear).

The reason I say this is not because I have any interest either way. The reason is horsepower. A 5.1 should be rated up to what...? 100 hp? Anyway, i would suggest you get max horsepower for your hull, expecially if you're cruising as you may have a few people on board. The more horse, the less revs required and so stress on the motor.

Personally if the prices were rqual I would go the yammie 90 as in my opinion, yam four strokes are a great motor. Owned the 60 and it was brilliant. But if they're cheaper, there's nothing wrong with the other two. Fuel consumption might be slightly higher that the 4stroke but it's a hard call, especially given the 80 would need to work at higher revs probably to get the same result.

Also comes down to after sales service. Have a chat to the dealers for the motors. If they're pri**cks, go with the other one. After sales service is a massive thing to consider as there's nothign worse than having a rep not busting his testicles for you if you do experience a problem with your product.

regards Jim

etec i think there quieter than the opti and more torque than the yamaha i dont think you would be diapointedthe fuel is around the same when i was lookin for a new motor all the dealers told me how good there motors were but yamaha spent all the time saying how bad the others were i chose the etec a good all rounder

I run a 75hp optimax on my tinny and it has been trouble free with plenty of grunt and at cruising speed very economical. I have met quite a few people who have owned etec's and are not happy customers but with everything there are good ones and bad ones. I personaly would also run the max out the hp on the hull and if you do a lot of family cruising and trolling get a suzuki or Honda 4 stroke, and if you like getting to your spots quick and want plenty of power on tap i would go the optimax.

Another vote for suzie, but if its between the three motors listed I would say the opti and less you can bump the yammie up to a 90.

If you wan't to head offshore especially to the deeper grounds the quintrex probably isn't the best choice, especially in a bowrider coniguration.

I have heard quintrex make one of the better riding pressed alloy hulls but any pressed aluminium hull over sharp short chop, anything over 10knots of wind will rattle your fillings out. A plate aluminium boat will be much softer riding and durable. Won't develop stress cracks over time.

Should be plenty to choose from in the same price range too.

I Would like to go to the deeper grounds and have been told they would be fine doing it.

Reason for quintrex is the resell value and quality of finish. It will come new with a warranty, so things like cracks etc i can go back and pester them.

Never heard of them being that bad compared to other models like stessco for example

Quintrex aren't bad. They are good when compare to other pressed alloy hulls. Compared to welded plate hulls there is no comparison.

You are not likely to have cracking issues whilst still under warranty unless you regulalry use it in sharp chop.

As far as fishing the deeper grounds you will be able to do it safely enough on a good day. 0-10knots. Comfortably no. Remember to get to the 80-90m line you will need to travel a minium of 30kms and that just to get to reefs off the Gold Coast.

Better grounds like Caloundra Wide or Barwon Banks will see you covering 40-50km one way.

Don't buy what the salesperson is telling you. Remember they are trying to get a sale. Get them to give you a demo on the water. Get them to take you for a spin somewhere in the northern bay in 15knots of breeze and you will quickly see what I mean. Travelling any kind of distance will quickly become very hard work. You will be lucky to be able to 20kmh heading straight into the wind.

DHESS,

thanks a lot for your input.

So if we were to comapre the quintrex and a similar price boat what would you suggest i look at?

Bearing in mind fishing is not my main aim, Also i used to fish of the back of a ski in 20+ knots if i needed to :woohoo:

First boat ever and i plan to keep it for at least 2 years.

is it just me or was there something about the etecs and the fuel in aus? as they are USA branded and they dont like something in the fuel over here? i might be wrong??? sorry if it has be stated above didnt read all the comments..

I would go a Suzuki over anything. then the opti

yeah runty your on the right track, aus fuel isnt as pure as american fuel and in there smaller models up till about the 150hp, there have been cases of the electronic injecters and fuel pumps cloging up requiring a new one and also dont be fooled bout the 3 year no service thing, its wise to get ya motor seviced evey 100 hours or yearly which ever comes first

we had a 115 opti and was an awsm motor GREAT on fuel and very quite for a DFI motor got nothing bad to say but it (assuming the 75-90 are as good)id defently get one over the etec

as for the 4 strokes never had one but have herd good things bout the yammi and i would sugest the yammi if you doing alot of stuff with the motor running eg trolling water sports manily because there quite will be more plesent onbord

cheers

joel

DHESS,

thanks a lot for your input.

So if we were to comapre the quintrex and a similar price boat what would you suggest i look at?

Bearing in mind fishing is not my main aim, Also i used to fish of the back of a ski in 20+ knots if i needed to :woohoo:

First boat ever and i plan to keep it for at least 2 years.

Will have a proper look for you tonight. Plenty come to mind.

Assuming the Quintrex with an optimax and traioler is around $40k retail?

Also what are your priorities in the boat? Assuming you are after a bowrider as you need something family friendly for kids?

The Suzuki isnt even in the running.

And between the ETEC and Yami there is 3k difference. justified?? i cant see it

Between etec and Optimax is about 2k .. Again justified? DOnt see it either.

would still go for a second hand suzuki low hours, if price is turning you off (if you can find one)

just remember 2-strokes are going the way of the dinosaur,

BRP will go to full four-stroke motors once they finish with the run of e-tec's

Archived