Surf fishing with livies. Help!

Baker

I was wondering the same thing yesterday as I'm going to be fishing off Burleigh Heads for a few days next weekend. I guess it partly comes down to likely target species and their eating habits. So can others enlighten Baker and myself on where jewies, mackeral and big tailor bite first? I think from memory with tailor it pays to have a stinger hook as they hit the tail first? Do mackeral hit the head first? Jewies - no idea as I've sadly never caught one but am going to keep trying til I do. I think I'll probably rig mine with a two hook snelled setup with one in the shoulders and one near the tail.

Good luck Baker. What sort of livies are you likely to be using?

ok best option is to bridal rig them(rubber band or string through the eyes then onto the hook) so that when you cast them out in the surf you wont rip the the hook out. they also swim more freely this way and also last forever.

tailor hit baits tail first (hence tailor name). jew in the surf will suck baits in like barra do if livies are your baits. make sure you let them run for a bit to make sure its in their mouth. mackies will just smash the bait like there is no tomorrow.

Archived