soft plastic fishing

reef_raider

G'day

I like to use plastics in lots of places. Generally anywhere with a bit of structure helps. This can be in form of a dropoff(flathead), pylons, dead trees and jettys(bream). As places I like nudgee cree(flathead), breakfast creek, and the party boat. These are just my favourites but I know others have better ideas.

mate if u can get up to noosa go there.. the spot has never let me down... me gus and ando got a lot of fish last time we went up a month or so back... gus when r u getin ur pics developed??? :P i wana see that ray i got on a power bait sp :P haha... no ando u will never hear the end of it :D

anyway... yeh it does help using a bit of bread to get the bream going when your fishing for a first sp fish... also if you really wana better chance of geting ur first sp fish use berkley gulps they are extremely scented and made from natural bio degradeable materials so fish love em and there good for the environment... you can pretty much use them the same way you would fish wth bait and you still catch fish... literally

also using very light line increases your chances so the lighter the better

troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/08/05 22:50

and Troy how did you catch that ray on sp's mayb you jagged it

blue_mako wrote:

mate if u can get up to noosa go there.. the spot has never let me down... me gus and ando got a lot of fish last time we went up a month or so back... gus when r u getin ur pics developed??? :P i wana see that ray i got on a power bait sp :P haha... no ando u will never hear the end of it :D

anyway... yeh it does help using a bit of bread to get the bream going when your fishing for a first sp fish... also if you really wana better chance of geting ur first sp fish use berkley gulps they are extremely scented and made from natural bio degradeable materials so fish love em and there good for the environment... you can pretty much use them the same way you would fish wth bait and you still catch fish... literally

also using very light line increases your chances so the lighter the better

troy<br><br>Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/08/05 22:50

:whistle: :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate to get you started you could get yourself a packet of 1/4 or 1/6 ounce tt jigheads on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. I have an all time favourite lure that rarely fails which is a 3\" berkley dropshot in pearl/watermelon. Thread the plastic on the hook so that it sits nice and straight.

An easy to reach location from the Northside is the mouth of the pine river. To get there you need to take a left turn at the lights just before you cross the bridge to redcliffe. Park down at the end of the carpark (away from the old hornibrook bridge). Check your tides and choose a time when you are arriving at about half tide on a runout tide. Put on an old pair of sandshoes or waders if you have them and start walking out toward the channel (defined by the red markers) checking for flatty lies all the way out so you have some idea of where the fish may be. I generally head out to between knee and waist deep (thus keeping the jewels dry and warm :pinch: ). Cast up current and try to keep in contact with your plastic by taking up slack line whilst giving your lure action with a sharp lift of the rod tip or sideways rip from time to time but always get that slack line back to feel for bites. This should be the only winding you do as the tide will bring the plastic back toward you and into the path of a hungry lizard. Some days the fish will just slam the bait but other times it just may be the slightest touch or you notice that your lure has stopped that will indicate a bite. This is where using a braided line will be priceless. If you hook a fish (and I am confident that you can) then you can try and land it from where you are or walk it back to some dry ground.

Good luck with the placcies it is an awsome rush getting that first fish and I think flathead ar the ideal first time target. Right now is the time to be chasing flatties locally and there are some good fish to be had very close to Brisbane. Other spots where you can fish like this include the flats in front of Nudgee, Cabbage Tree Creek, Hayes Inlet etc etc any tidal sandflats.

P.s I only suggest the runout because this is my preference, good fishing can be had on the incoming tide too but then you run the risk of stepping on stingrays in these areas.

Cheers Kev

I got a phone call from my bro in law yesterday, he fished the area that I have just described by foot walking the banks between the bridge and Bald hills creek and he scored his PB lizard which measured in at 86cm. He hooked the fish in about 3 foot of water less than 10 foot from the bank. This aint no secret hard to get location, it is often overlooked by many as being \"too accessible\". Right now is the time to get yourself that trophy fish that you dream about. The fish are there boys you just need the time to chase them. Mick is now scraping every cent he can together to get himself a digi cam as he is kicking himself for not having any record of his fish execpt for his word (which I trust) The fish swam away fit and healthy to terrorise baitfish and unexpecting anglers again.

Cheers Kev

Archived