Bream don't take lures

sari96

They are not a hard fish to catch on lure, however they are not always an easy target, its not like they are in feeding mode all day every day.

All I can suggest to you is take each session as a learning experience, look at all the factors involved in catching fish ie. weather, tide, location, gear, lure, technique etc and try to figure out why what you were doing didn't work on the day. Then next time you can build on your knowledge and eventually you will figure out a pattern. I really believe not catching fish teaches you way more than catching them.

Fishing is a constant learning experience, if you take something away from every trip you will learn quickly.

it took me ages to get a bream on a lure. the easiest way is to watch people that know what they are doing. I fish with a few people that know what they are doing and I am starting to regularly pick them up now. As people say vary up you retrieve. include some pauses. As Khoi said get along to the bream social and get on board or give an experienced bream fisho a deckie. That will teach you a heap just watching them.

I spent hours yesterday chucking sx40's at them.....yep, they'll follow the lure right to the boat/bank then away they go. Caught heaps on bubblepops in the past but never on a hb. This is on my brand new stradic c14 and 6lb braid/fluoro combo I bought for the bream social. Gear does NOT catch fish! There must be some kind of skill involved..... :(

The TT switch blades are a gun on bream, i use 3lb braid and a rod and a bit of 2lb leader.

what sort of area are you working? tight into structure always holds afew bream.

You can always go the good old 2inch shrimp in a new penny or a nature colour and just cast it right next to structure with a TT 1/28th hidden weight and you should go alright - or the 3inch armor shad in mobei / ox blood or a skin blue go well.

also if you have the coin you can pick up a ecogear zx30 - zx35 ( about 20 buck ea) but a deadly bream lure.

ohh and the atomic hardz would also be one of my fav.

Try with different retrieve methods, last time i was fishing near a creek, i was playing with toad fish, i float the hardbody and the toad fish did follow the lure, but when i retrieve the lure with different speeds, I got my first toad on lure! I guess same as breams.

I really wish you could give something back to the site rather than ask questions and bite people for giving you help and then ask again... its frustraiting when you first get into it it feels near impossible to catch one but recently i have ahad a tidle wave of fish come in i now understand that it is possible but these guys helped me in so many ways all the info in the world they gave but the trick was when i stopped listening and started fishing seriously GET OUT THERE AND FISH!

Good luck sari

Tight lines (Hopefully we will get a report soon)

Archived