The Camo Jeep is finished. Thanks Kurt

BassTracker

I’ve posted up before about my old jeep and the childhood dream of owning a car painted in camo :whistle: (some of us never grow up) At first I was going to do it with spray cans, assuring myself that I could do a beautiful job, a job so good that army guys would pull me over and say... wow I didn’t see you there :P, at least that’s the picture that was floating around in my imagination :whistle: Little did I know how much work actually goes into painting a car, especially one as big as this. After Kurt had offered to paint it on one condition; If there was any talk of thank you's or money tools would go down and I could finish the job myself. After painting the front grill myself and wondering why there were fingerprints in it, and being introduced to my new friend "Wax and Grease remover" I kept my mouth shut till the last day.

The first weekend I got a taste of what actually goes into it. Removing 28 year old decals and sanding back paint, pulling dints, grinding out damage and filling it, pulling dints (Kurt and his old man are pretty handy) I learned heaps that first weekend and I was surprised that we actually got it in a coat of primer by Sunday.

The following weekend we put in a big day on Saturday and got the car primed and the first coat of green but Kurt called it as it was stormy and really humid and the compressor was filling up with water every 5 minutes.

This brings us to this weekend, We finished off the green on Saturday, lots more sanding and wax and greasing, marking out camo and laying down some black paint, only to realize that the tan the paint shop provided once thinned down was actually more pink than tan and a comment from Kurt "Mate I wouldn’t put that on my car" (He wouldn’t even accept the 4 liters to use as undercoat haha) I went into autobarn and got a liter of brown mixed up and Sunday rolled around and away we went.

Camo is a hard one because you can overdo it easily and you have to keep stepping back and looking to make sure its not looking to busy. That’s when Ash, (Shark lady) Kurt’s wife turns up and put her artistic abilities to good use, she started drawing out some more camo and changing bits I had drawn, if she hadn’t, I wouldn’t have realized that I had inadvertently drawn one bit of camo the shape of meat and two veg, wedding tackle, twig and berries you get the picture... Thanks Ash!

By the end of a very long day, it was very lightly wet sanded to a shine and the grill, rear bar and roof rack were put back on and I had a grin from ear to ear.

PS. I did say thank you to Kurt but waited till he didn’t have the spray gun in his hand!

If you have ever watched someone who knows what they are doing with a spray gun work, you think, "That doesn’t look that difficult" my suggestion, that’s not the case. Kurt handed me the gun a few times and its an art form, It would take me doing it everyday for a long time to get that fluid. Not one run in the paint from Kurt I lost count.

So thank you Kurt and Ash for putting me up at your place for a few nights, treating me like a member of your family, for putting in so much hard work, for juggling your cars and doing repairs so that I had something to drive for the entire month we worked on the Jeep. Still working on my car while you had so many other demands, family illness ect and all the time making me feel like none of it was too hard.

Im proud to have mates like you and Ash and I don’t mind saying it. ;)

Here are the results

Before

post-1835-144598775673_thumb.jpg

post-1835-14459877569_thumb.jpg

i've decided that if there is ever a zombie apocalypse, Kurt is one man i want on my side!! love it

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Archived