Beach Fishing and reading where the fish will be?

friejuz

Hi Guys,

Been concentrating fishing off jetty with great success. Want to move onto Beach fishing and giving mysef the best chance to be where the fish are. Finding it a little difficult to get the concept of reading a beach and where the fish would likely be. Can someone help explain. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

I have been told this by several experienced surf fishermen and it makes a lot of sense;

Apparently the best way to find the fish in the surf is to start fishing where the north-running sweep is dragging your line parallel to the beach. You keep walking north with your line until it stops getting dragged north and starts getting dragged out to sea, that is where the fish will be very concentrated ,rather than just getting the odd stray

This is supposed to be a more precise method of 'reading the beach' rather than just casting into what 'looks' like a channel or gutter.

Look for something out of the ordinary that interrupts the way the waves are breaking like a sandbar or a point in the beach. The easiest sign of a good gutter is where the waves break out the back, then there is a section of white water, then waves start breaking again closer to shore, that means there is a deep section where the wave couldn't break.

Don't think it needs to be miles out to sea, often a whiting will take the bait at your feet and dart will be right in the breakers. If there is a school of tailer you will often be able to see them as the waves are about to break

Thanks Guys,

I had a read of the other thread and some good points I try this Saturday morning. Had great success of Jetty. Now trying my luck with bit beach fishing.

See if I can get my hands on Brisbane fishing article.

Thanks again

Justin

Archived