Boyne River Fish Kill: Catfish

Terry H

this was caused by a select few who think the catties are a pest , they leave them on the bank and when the tide rises they float around, i am talking hundreds upon hundreds of catties in one spot alone and found more piles in various other parts around benaraby .. it is such a bad stench some of the older piles of catties.. i have witnessed these select few pulling about a catty a minute all day long every week..

I dunno wesfish... in the news article it points out they were emaciated and had white ulcerations?

Could this be a sign of a kill somewhere due to a lack of food? Or perhaps something affecting the catfish and their ability to eat?

every catty in the boyne at the moment is skinny as, their numbers are massive so starvation would be the culprit over disease, the water quality was tested and found to be healthy all so. at a guess only, i would say the ulcers are where crabs and small bream been chewing away at the dead offerings. the catties are starving as we managed close to 100 in 2 days on lures 3 weeks ago. we release every catty and dont kill them like some of the select few we watched, will be back up there in may and will take pics of the piles new and old to show just how many catties are killed there and left on the bank on a daily basis.

on a side note the com fisherman are in a law suit at this very moment trying to get compensation for loss of income due to what they say are poisoned fish stocks due to dredging. its funny as since the pros had their best earnings ever after awoonga went over they will try to be compensated for their earnings during this peak of income ;)

this was caused by a select few who think the catties are a pest , they leave them on the bank and when the tide rises they float around, i am talking hundreds upon hundreds of catties in one spot alone and found more piles in various other parts around benaraby .. it is such a bad stench some of the older piles of catties.. i have witnessed these select few pulling about a catty a minute all day long every week..

I 2nd this, I live up here and fish the fresh water part of the boyne, caught catfish lay on the banks every where, they are in plague proportion, if they were dying of anything else as wesfish said it would be because of starvation, GAWB also said no fish went over the awoonga spillway this overflow, thats crap, i reckon most of the barra i caught this weekend come down the spillway as they had bash marks on one flank, or on the lower jaw, but all seem to be healing well.

Archived