Boat and trailer towing Vehicles

Jufish

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a boat along the lines of a 4.2 quintrex explorer trophy with a 4 stroke 40hp motor and trailer.

Now my problem is my car is a 2007 Toyota corolla sedan, it's not designed to do any sort of heavy work,so would it be able to tow, launch and retrive a 4.2 m boat?

Does anyone here tow their boats with something similar or would it be a bad idea to do so?

Or would it be better to buy a cheap 4wd?

Cheers

Rob

I think the guys at Carbuddy just pick a number when it comes to towing capacity. I just looked up a few different vehicles I have owned and know what the manufacturers towing capacity is and they aren't even close. Example: the Mrs Chrysler they say has a braked capacity of 250kg and unbraked 250kg, while the next spec down of the same model has a braked capacity of 750kg and unbraked of 450kg, the only difference between the two is the upholstery and dash appointment.

I think a phone call to a towbar mob will get you some reliable answers

From toyota

corolla unbraked 450kg and 1300kg with trailer brakes.

Is your car auto or manual if manual clutch will be working hard on the boat ramp.

I think with the outfit that you are looking at when it is fueled up and loaded with esky and gear it will be close to or above the 450kg so you will have to either spend a lot more money on a braked trailer or down size the bpat.

The car will probably handle it ok but problems may arrive if you are infortunate enough to have a prang or run into an officious

walloper.

Last week the transport inspectors were in operation in Benfer Rd at Viccy point and were having a field day with boat trailers.

All the tilt tray towies were doing very well moving trailers that were grounded.

Mate got done for having a seafarer vc on an unbraked trailer inspector didnt even bother putting it on the scales just wrote out the ticket and said its only moving on a tilt tray.

Cheers

Ray

From toyota

corolla unbraked 450kg and 1300kg with trailer brakes.

Is your car auto or manual if manual clutch will be working hard on the boat ramp.

I think with the outfit that you are looking at when it is fueled up and loaded with esky and gear it will be close to or above the 450kg so you will have to either spend a lot more money on a braked trailer or down size the bpat.

The car will probably handle it ok but problems may arrive if you are infortunate enough to have a prang or run into an officious

walloper.

Last week the transport inspectors were in operation in Benfer Rd at Viccy point and were having a field day with boat trailers.

All the tilt tray towies were doing very well moving trailers that were grounded.

Mate got done for having a seafarer vc on an unbraked trailer inspector didnt even bother putting it on the scales just wrote out the ticket and said its only moving on a tilt tray.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks ray, I had no idea that there were regulations with trailers and such, really shows how little I know...

I've never owned a boat before so I don't really understand much at all, when the inspectors and cops come around what sort of faults or defects are they looking at?

If I was to downsize what would be the smallest sized boat that could safely cross a bar ( gold coast bar)?

Cheers

Rob

They were looking for faulty lights,tyres and overloaded trailers .They also got a few using car trailer number plates on boat trailers.Apparently that earns you a visit to magistrates court.

they were also pulling in any cars that were older models.

They have a blitz down our way every now and then.

Cheers

Ray

Archived