Tiller vs Forward Constrols vs Centre Console

Kipper

Hi all I have been looking for a tinny for some time now and was wondering why so many are tiller? I personally have been leaning more to forward control or side console.

It would seem though that 90% of tinnies for sale are tiller and I was wondering if I was missing something which might lead to regret at a later time

My guess would be because when people buy their front steer or aide console or whatever they don't want to part ways with it. I think alot of people start of with tiller steer (like me) then upgrade to front or side console once the become more experianced. You would generally et alot more bang for buck with a tiller steer, sounder, electric motors, gps etc

all depends on the type of fishing your planning to do. If your going to hit the bay a fair bit, a front or side console would be more suited. Where as a tiller steer would be a bit harder to use if conditions got bad in the bay. in my opinion if you can afford a front or side console, go for it.

Lot more space avail with tiller steer.

If you do not have the luxury of power trim and tilt and electric start it is a real pain having to go to rear of boat to start motor or raise it when you come into ramp.

If buying a new rig under 16feet my personal choice would be tiller steer with leccy start and power trim and tilt.Onec you get over 60hp outboards you need a strong arm with a tiller steer but you do see a few pro crabbers with 80hp tiller steer outfits.

Cheers

Ray

I have gone from a forward steer to a tiller in my current boat, I originally thought I would eventually put in a side console but there is really no need, tiller does just fine and leaves plenty of room for fishing, plus I would rather spend the money on an electric or something more useful. Only issue I have is loss of vision from people sitting up front.

Ok thanks all for the input, I guess as most of the time I will be out on my own as friends are working during the week and I mainly work on the weekends space is not going to be too big an issue.

My main reason for considering the forward steer - console etc is vision. I like the idea of having a clearer view of vision. I guess when buying new cost factor would be a factor but can sometimes find secondhand ones around a similar price

'center consoles are wet boats' Shane what do you mean by this? wetter than a forward steer and or tiller or just a tiller as at the back of the boat?

Most center console boats i have being in are wet boats. As if you get wet in the bay if weather a bit sloppy. Well mine we get drenched. A few of my mates have different center console and its the same thing.

One thing i have found is that the further to the front of the boat you sit the more you will feel each wave and chop you drive over and the further back your position the softer the ride. If you are worried about vision you can run higher chairs on a rear/side console and vision is fine on a centre console as most of the time you will be standing up. Front control boats also kill the optimon casting deck spot if you are planning on casting lures but if you just want to troll or bait fish they are fine.

i dont undertstand the centre console wet boat comment.

It would be all hull dependant and not where you steer from. If your weight is distributed properly.

all center consoles are wet in windy conditions because the hull throws the spray out from the boat and the wind blows it into the boat

cross wind is worse than head wind in most cases

It would be all hull dependant and not where you steer from. If your weight is distributed properly.

all center consoles are wet in windy conditions because the hull throws the spray out from the boat and the wind blows it into the boat

Surely though if it is the case of the way the spray leaves the hull it would not be any different to any other drive set up?

Surely though if it is the case of the way the spray leaves the hull it would not be any different to any other drive set up?

Agreed. unless you have a wind screen in fronot of you they are going to be exactly the dsame.

Lot more space avail with tiller steer.

If you do not have the luxury of power trim and tilt and electric start it is a real pain having to go to rear of boat to start motor or raise it when you come into ramp.

If buying a new rig under 16feet my personal choice would be tiller steer with leccy start and power trim and tilt.Onec you get over 60hp outboards you need a strong arm with a tiller steer but you do see a few pro crabbers with 80hp tiller steer outfits.

Cheers

Ray

Agree with Ray on the electric tilt and trim. Not only because of the weight but also gives you the advantage of being able to tilt the motor and steer at the same time while facing forward. This is a real advantage when you are coming into a crowded ramp and need to manually lift the motor and head the boat into a small space between other boats on the bank beside the ramp.

Spray still will come over in other configurations but with front steer your not sitting in the spray. Mine wraps directly into me and soaks the deckie that the wind is coming from. The second deckie is fine till the trip home. Spray skirts would help but its the deckies that complain the most and they wont buy it for me :huh::huh::huh:

I think under 5m you will have quicker steering response from a tiller. Takes 1/4 second lock to lock. With a wheel it takes 1-2 seconds to go lock to lock.

I've never been in a side console so don't know what they would be like. I suppose you lose part of one side for fishing.

Front= cruisy dry trip, not much space

Side= arm hanging out the window and half of the trip dry

tiller/centre= wet but has the most space for fishing.

i went though this a few months ago. i decided on a 4.2m 30hp tiller steer. manly because of price and space. the same size tinny with forward steer and 30hp was an extra $9000. it had less floor space and i just couldnt see the extra $$$. i didnt see any centre consoles in this size and most of the side consoles in this size are tournament boats so bigger motors and rod lockers, bait tanks and other bits and pieces all = big dollars. i have seen fold away side consoles so you get to steer the boat with a wheel, but when you pull up just fold it away. my reason for a new boat is i just couldnt see the sense in paying 2 or 3 g for a 10 to 20 year old when i could get a new 1 for 8g

Archived