Hervey bay/ Rainbow beach

greg1203

Hey Guys

New to the website think its great because I need all the help I can get,

I am heading to hervey bay area in july for a boys week taking the boat up, was woundering if anyone could give me a few tips about what that bar is like and the best suburb to stay so if weather is good we can go off shore and if not fish the reefs inside fraser and what the fishing is like inside fraser?We also wouldn't mind doing a bit of night fishing land based not too far away from where we stay.

If anyone could give me any tips that would be great.

Thanks Greg

Haven't fished up that way for a while but the wide bay bar is not one to take lightly. With little swell its fine but once you get sizeable swell directly from the east you are best off avoiding it.

Its not a particularly shallow bar but it is a very long crossing through the main channel nearly 3km. Fishermen's gutter (close to the beach alonng Inskip Point) is way shorter and easier if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't attempt it unless you are following someone who does it regularly though. Some awesome fishing outside but the fishing inside Hervey Bay is also pretty good.

dont tend to fish hervey bay much but i go to burrum point not burrum heads to crowded, burrum point is the north side of the river to access go to childers and turn right out to woodgate and then south along beach you find a large channel that runs along beach we call this trevally ally as im sure you will find out why. approx 15ft deep at low and around 30 at hight becarfull to have 4wd off bech before tide gets halfway up as beach can get quite boggy i mean QUICKSAND!!! have also cought good mackies off beach and up river good jacks and barra you can also camp at burrum point approx 12 campsite very cheap no ammenities except toilet. all teh best i hope this helps ezy (check out burrum point on google)

Hey Guys

New to the website think its great because I need all the help I can get,

I am heading to hervey bay area in july for a boys week taking the boat up, was woundering if anyone could give me a few tips about what that bar is like and the best suburb to stay so if weather is good we can go off shore and if not fish the reefs inside fraser and what the fishing is like inside fraser?We also wouldn't mind doing a bit of night fishing land based not too far away from where we stay.

If anyone could give me any tips that would be great.

Thanks Greg

Mate, there are rocks off Pialba and Pt Vernon so you'll lose plenty of tackle fishing off them. Better off to go for the beaches at Scarness and Torquay. Also, with Scarness and Torquay you can walk up to urangan pier, where you can fish or around the rock walls at urangan boat harbour. You could also take the boat down to river heads to fish the mary and susan rivers, there might be some threadies around. From there you can nick over to the ledgeor if it's really blowing go over to deep creek etc which is south from river heads. Watch the depths as it's shallow down the strait.

hope that helpos a bit

regards jim

Archived