Lost my virginity - at long last!

kmcrosby78

post-5510-144598779763_thumb.jpg

post-5510-144598779779_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

Contrary to the Subject title, there is no sex involved in this report, although the feeling afterwards was just as good (please don't tell my wife I said that ......). Left home at 5am yesterday morning, quick fuel & ice stop and taking the boat off the trailer around 5:45am at the Fisho Island ramp. Was close to low tide and noticed a few ripples in the water which I hoped were mullet so grabbed the net and managed a couple of small poddy's, one larger one (15cm) and a few herring. Jumped in the boat and, umm, nothing was happening. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Hadn't used the boat in about a month but motor had been running fine. Quick call to my brother in Rocky at 6:20am to see if he could think of anything - suggested checking spark plugs so pulled the covers off and a quick clean and thankfully back in action. Put the puts in on the right hand corner entering the river - almost got stuck as sounder was playing up (transducer was shifting angle so the depth on the screen was showing weird depths (like 180m).

Anchored up along the rock wall near the poop schute - tide had started to run out (bugger as the plan was to fish either side of low tide to have a decent crack at my first jewie). Through out the large mullet on my bigger rod. Was going to throw lures/plastics with my smallest reel so decided instead of putting another livie out and try something different and throw out a 4 inch pumpinkseed minnow and just 'deadstick' it (leave it to bounce around by itself) as I'd heard of others having succes with this technique (good sized snapper/squire mostly). Spent a couple of minutes preparing my third reel when suddenly I notice the 'deadstick' rod bending and line peeling off. Was a bit shocked as I picked the rod up and started fighting the fish. Didn't feel huge but decent all the same and definitely a fish with a few thuds. Thought process was something like "so this is the rod with the soft plastic, OMG it actually worked, and it's a fish and not a ray or shovel, sh&t I can't believe this worked!!!!

Anyway, after a couple of careful minutes with 12lb mono up pops my first ever jewie - at 52cm not a monster but boy am I so happy I've finally caught a fish that I've always wanted to catch. Bugger had swallowed the plastic right down it's gob and I couldn't get it out so swam him carefully for 3-4 mins til eventually he kicked and bit down on my finger so sent him on his way. He moved off quite slowly so I hope he made it.

Tide started running a fair bit not too long after so I decided to moved and go try the rock wall past the dredge, after picking up a heap of herring at the poop schute. No luck here and wind hadn't picked up yet (forecast was for a sharp rise at some stage in the latter morning) so decided I'd go try Mud as hadn't been there since prob last Aug/Sep and thought there was a chance of a stray longie or mack passing by.

Tried my usual spot near the north-west beacon, deployed two livies then rigged up a metal slug in readiness for any pelagics moving by. During my time there I lost a few livies to hits either in front of the hook or behind (very frustrating!!) and saw small schools of longies (big buggers too, bouncing ouf of the water and smashing baitfish with big splashes) about 4 times but each time they didn't come quite withing casting range. Decided while I was there I'd go in alot closer to the island than I have previously, and I must say considering the name 'Mud' Island, it's not a bad looking island. The shallow reefy areas around the entrance to the creek look like ideal trevally territory.

After picking up two grinners (which I kept for crab pot bait) I decided, with the wind really howling, that it was time to head back in (slowly and steadily as it must have been 25knots easy (still safe enough, just had to pay attention and drive smart rather than just keeping on the plane and rushing). Saw some birds hovering a couple of times on the way in so stopped and threw the slug but to no avail.

Gave the poop schute rock wall once more quick go as it wasn't too long after high tide but with the tide and the heavy wind it wasn't much fun so decided enough was enough. Checked the pots which was fun in the wind - full off jellyfish (forgot to mention at the start that the water was THICK with them) so quite heavy to pull in. Got one keeper sandie for my troubles. When I got back to the ramp a small helicopter (not sure if it was a police one or not?) was cruising back and forward over the ramp quite low - not sure who/what they were looking for or if it was just for training a pilot on how to deal with winds. There was a weird fire on the left on my drive back from the port - appeared to be coming form something in/on the water in the mangrove-lined area.

Sorry for long report but first one in a while and VERY excited to finally get a jewie and feel good that I tried something different and it paid off. Next job is to get a legal one and also get out again to have a go for a longie.

Cheers. Will add a photo of the jewie tomorrow as can't find the thing for the camera right now.

Photos added along with one of my young fella - notice his attention to the reel!!

Cheers guys. Taib - I've got a 4.2m Stacer with a 30hp on the back. Swell was a little tricky as heading back it was coming from left to right so just needed to make sure I didn't come down the face of them.

Can't take my mind off those big longies - really need to get back out there and have a crack!!!

Cheers guys. Taib - I've got a 4.2m Stacer with a 30hp on the back. Swell was a little tricky as heading back it was coming from left to right so just needed to make sure I didn't come down the face of them.

Can't take my mind off those big longies - really need to get back out there and have a crack!!!

I hooked on to one of them on friday. My reel gave up after 45 minutes. We saw them jump out the water while we go going i though it was doliphns first. Easily over a meter.

Hopefully get one this weekend.

I hooked on to one of them on friday. My reel gave up after 45 minutes. We saw them jump out the water while we go going i though it was doliphns first. Easily over a meter.

Hopefully get one this weekend.

you will mate!!

you better hope that your 5000 holds enough line bro~~ :woohoo:

Archived