How to glue carpet down to ply wood?

Runty66

well, just picked up 10000 m's of marine carptet for 20 bucks. :blink:

So anyone got some good glues that they use for the carpet and to stick down to the marine ply for good?

was thinking contact adhesive from whitworths which is 10 bucks for 250 ml's.

or liquid nails?

or even just some marine seal?

cheers B)

Any particular reason you want to glue it down? If its not already glued down consider holding it in place with press studs or better method is that industrial velcro. MAKes cleaning a whole lot easier.

If you want to glue it down then yeah 4l tin of contact adhesive. Don't get the big name stuff just as long as its alcohol resistant.

You will need a mate to help you position the stuff once coated and tack dry and consider using smaller sections rather than one massive piece.

ive just carpeted my boat, i went for the spray can contact adhesive from BCF for $11.50. i used it opposed to the brush on method as its alot eaiser to use, painting it on can be a pain in the backside, its really hard to brush on to the carpet. cans work out a little more expensive but alot eaiser.

I never coat the back of the carpet as it is that porous it takes in the glue when you lay it down and in 20 odd years I have never had any carpet lift.

I do however do both sides along the edges when you wrap the carpet around and under the board as the carpet is quite stiff and it helps hold it in place until it dries.

So anyone got some good glues that they use for the carpet and to stick down to the marine ply for good?

or liquid nails?

cheers B)

did you really get 10000 metres??

or liquid nails?

cheers B)

Everyone can take their boat around to Runty's to get some carpet put down :cheer:

If you want to glue it down then yeah 4l tin of contact adhesive. Don't get the big name stuff just as long as its alcohol resistant.

you would be to young to drink wouldnt ya runty :blink: . but i can see where bootys comin from you young fellas cant handle ya piss and you will be pron to spilling ya cup of rum that you will be drinkin on the odd cold night with winter coming up and all. :whistle:

or liquid nails?

cheers B)

just measured.. got 1002 m x 500m ;)

Also make sure you treat the ply so it is waterproof, you can get this stuff from BCF for it, I might still have a bit lying around, epiglass it is called, then paint on the contact adhesive, wait until it is tacky then apply, good idea if once applied you get sheets of ply the same size and some bits of wood around the edges and clamp it all down hard for 24hrs. Like Aussie said, around the edges put heaps, and wrap it around the ply if you can lift it and then you can run your stanley along it when dry and get a neat edge, make sure you clamp the edges down really tight for aat least 24hrs. Good luck.

I glued mine when I did it last year - like Lance I didn't bother glueing the carpet as well and it is still fine. Not long after I did mine, I think it was Nadders that mentioned why not velcro it instead so that you can remove it to wash. Wish I had done that now - you can get the double sided velcro stuff from Bunnings for pretty cheap.

This reminds me I still haven't put photos up of the finished product (although I'm still being lazy and haven't finished the front casting deck .......).

Good luck. Oh and I didn't use clamps or anything and it turned out fine. I did however staple the underside. Up to you if you do this or not - the only downside of doing this is they rust a little.

Me personally cant see the point of having removable carpet.

I wash mine out with the pressure cleaner. Doesnt get much simpler.

I Also stapled mine. Used stainless staples.

Also have found that with contact adhesive having sticky stuff on both surfaces works best.

Also think that what the instructions say as well.

Cheers,

Just needa carpet the front bit where the leccy is.

so far i have carpeted all the decks and seats, rewired the whole boat again, (alot neater)

i also gotta chuck the new switch board in and the anchor light..

will chukc afew pictures up tomorrow if im done by then :)

so just checking 1000x500 is 500000 square meters? Man what a deal that is like 125 acres. B)

also when I made my floor in my boat 5 years ago all i did way put liquid nails on the wood ply and then put the carpet on to that and made sure i got it all pushed down nice and evenly. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

How heavy is all that carpet runty? :unsure:

so just checking 1000x500 is 500000 square meters? Man what a deal that is like 125 acres. B)

also when I made my floor in my boat 5 years ago all i did way put liquid nails on the wood ply and then put the carpet on to that and made sure i got it all pushed down nice and evenly. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

How heavy is all that carper runty? :unsure:

nah it was actually 1004 m x 500 :P

Thanks, i eneded up going to whitworths and grabbing some of that contact in the 1 L, carpeted the whole boat and still have about 200mls left :).

Thanks alot everyone for you ideas and tips!

Archived