Preferred Casting Rod

Bullet

Hi All,

Just wanting to get your thoughts on what your preferred "casting rod" is, when casting at pelagics?

Reason being I want to get a dedicated casting outfit that can cast a slug 20g-60g a long way. I know it's got to do with the reel too but that's the easy part.

At the moment I'm useing my graphite plastics outfits and they are just not getting the distance I would like.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey bullet. I think the best sort of rods for that are the light heavy plastic rod. I have an egrell m10 heavy and get great distance out of it. Other options are the diawa steez. You want one that can handle that size weight. You could even go to a light jigging rod. That have good butt strength and still a light tip for casting light jigs. Hope this helps out.

Steve look into the shimano terez range.

I have a 15-30 lb one i use for pelagics.

They are very good rods. Cast really far if matched with a good reel.

I can swear by these rods. I havnt broken one yet lol.

If you do decide to get one buy it from bcf. They dont muck around too much in returning when you break it. I have retuned over 10 mexican raider and tcurves in last year lol. They keep breaking on me.

Mick Fillet, I'm using 20lb braid with a 7ft graphite rod matched with a Luvias reel. Planing on getting another 4000 reel and running around the 12lb on it.

Shane,

I've got a Terez but in the 40-80lb stick that I use for jigging. Never thought about them in the lighter range... I'll go have a look today.

Cheers,

Steve

I went to TW at Coorparoo in my lunch break today and couldn't justify spending that amount of coin on some of the rods that were suggested after spending thousands in the last few months on Rods and reels.

The boy's there put toghether a cheap outfit for me. I got a Daiwa Aird 4000 matched with a 3-6kg 7ft Patriarch rod and 15lb Sunline PE Braid.

I'll give it a go on Sunday and let you know the result.

Thanks to all that replied.

Cheers,

Steve

I currently use a 4000 Heartland XA on a 10-17lb Redback with Daiwa braid and I was amazed how far I can cast even 12g metals.

My dream set up would be Morethan Branzino and Steez Hot Dog 12-20lb.... onw day, my pretty.

Thats what i used to use. Heartlanders are by far best reels money can buy. I caught most of my spotties on it. I upgraded to a stradic 5000 fj n since last week a sustain 5000. i started getting blisters on my hand from the hearlander.

Waiting for tax time so i can buy a saltiga 6500 dogfight high speed match it up with a t curve or maria

Archived