Easter Long Tails and arm wrestles

crazywalrus

We head off to Harvey bay on the Thursday with high expectations. Thanks to Mickfillet I had a lot of sinkers we made up at his place the night before. Cheers Mate. On the Friday we head straight up to the tip of Frazer Island to hunt for Tuna and get a better feel for the bay before we tried a night time run. As soon as we got close we could see schools of long tails busting up everywhere. Jacob was first on and a nice battle proceeded only to have it sharked by a 3m bronzy. Declan was next on and boated a nice Logtail. This kept on going all day. Unfortunately Jacob lost his first 3 fish but came on strong towards the end of the day. So at the end of this day it was Declan 6, Jacob 3 with more lost.

We gave away a few of the Tuna to people in the park. A young bloke called Luke (luko on AFO) was chatting to me about land based options and I offered him a decky spot as long as he did not mind taking turns with the boys. Anyway the next day was the day that Reel_Mate was up there with Bargy. What a good day as well. Luke got on to his first Tuna and than landed 3 more for good measure. I do not have any photos of Luke's fish as they where on the his phone only. Maybe he can add them if he reads this. It was a pleasure to have you out on the boat Luke.

All in all the boys landed about 10 Tuna each and Luke landed 4 and I landed one on the Monday. What a great few days. I will certainly be back there again. Will be hard to leave the boys at home but. :woohoo: :whistle: Sorry for the vids as I did not spend a lot of time on the editing , just wanted to get the report up.

post-7418-144598779825_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598779835_thumb.jpg

post-7418-14459877984_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598779856_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598779862_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598779868_thumb.jpg

post-7418-14459877988_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598779886_thumb.jpg

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS2ZekuJOg

/>http://youtu.be/BJiTb61-y64

Heya Ted

Good to see the angler has some great skills but geez that gaff man :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The boys would have had an absolute ball on those longies.

I reckon when you eventually fit the front casting deck we should install a decent swivel chair and fit a gimble mount to it for the boys to use.

Then we can take them out over the shelf to catch a marlin and yellowfin :P:P:P

Heya Ted

Good to see the angler has some great skills but geez that gaff man :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The boys would have had an absolute ball on those longies.

I reckon when you eventually fit the front casting deck we should install a decent swivel chair and fit a gimble mount to it for the boys to use.

Then we can take them out over the shelf to catch a marlin and yellowfin :P:P:P

I am not sure about the casting deck after this weekend. Swivel chair would have been handy though

post-10768-144598779892_thumb.jpg

Heya Ted,

Thanks for the taking me out with ya mate. Was without question the best fishing I have ever done. I'll try and get a few of the photos up too. My wife had a great time getting the blood out of my clothes, did the blood bath in the boat clean up alright? Cant wait for next time mate. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nice mate I was up at wathumba area getting them. They were thick. We stopped after a few as it was getting a bit boring heading into the creek for a swim. Good to c your young fella get into them. Do u know if there are many reefs in that bay? I want to head bak up again but not for tuna only

Great report Ted - looks like a ripper trip. Will have to go up there and try it sometime. That third pic of Jacob with all the blood on him is priceless - looks like something from a vampire movie!!!! What sort of rod is that Declan is using in the vid? Looks like a good curve on it - what length?

Keep up the good work mate.

good onya ted for givin the young fellas an awesome few days fishing. Saturday was an absolute ripper having those paddocks of busting up tuna just for you and us and 1 or 2 more boats all day, considering the mayhem back at the harbour. Geez i reckon u would of done some miles during your time up there.

Cheers dave

Awesome report mate, that video gets the blood pumping.

Just a question, How were you targeting them (bait, lures or trolling?)

Cheers

Rob

We where targeting the bust ups and the birds. We where mainly using soft plastics with either a 3/8 or 1/2 jig head. We did use slugs as well when we needed a longer cast. When targeting a school of tuna busting up head around upwind or up current, stop the boat leaving the motor running and wait for the school to get close enough to cast into - if they are spooky you need to get close enough straight away and get a cast off as quickly as possible.

Nice mate I was up at wathumba area getting them. They were thick. We stopped after a few as it was getting a bit boring heading into the creek for a swim. Good to c your young fella get into them. Do u know if there are many reefs in that bay? I want to head bak up again but not for tuna only

There are some coffee rock reefs around Wathumba and a reef off Station Hill. You can get a lot of the marks off www.fishntales.com.au and off the harvey bay chart.

Great report Ted - looks like a ripper trip. Will have to go up there and try it sometime. That third pic of Jacob with all the blood on him is priceless - looks like something from a vampire movie!!!! What sort of rod is that Declan is using in the vid? Looks like a good curve on it - what length?

it is a plueger patriarch about 7 foot I think. Can not check it as it ended up over the side of the boat on the first day :( a wave came over the side of the boat and lifted the rod out

it is a plueger patriarch about 7 foot I think. Can not check it as it ended up over the side of the boat on the first day :( a wave came over the side of the boat and lifted the rod out

hehehehe - sorry mate, but just finished having a good chuckle at your 'expense' (pardon the pun!!). So which of the boys copped the blame this time ....... :P

Archived