Trailer set up advice.

rayke1938

I have finally started to work on my new project which is a 14ft6 abalone.

The trailer is one I pocked up cheap and needs a bit of work.

I have replaced the draw bar which was pipe with an old 2inch coupling on it.( Took me a few days to locate a 2inch ball in the shed so I could get it home.

MY problem is that the boat only has a keel for half the length of the boat.

post-230-144598780522_thumb.jpg

post-230-14459878053_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598780536_thumb.jpg

If i adjust the rollers so that the boat is supported on the full length I will hyave to have the 2 rear rollers an extra 4 inches higher and will have to raise bthe boat that much exstra when winching on the trailer and when nlaunching will have to push the boat uphill when the keel meets the last 2 rollers.

Is it ok to have the rear of the hull supported by the side skids or alternatively have some wobble rollers each side of the keel at the rear.

Cheers

Ray

post-3471-144598780541_thumb.jpg

could you flip that 2nd roller to the other side of the bar? then you wouldn't have to raise it as high and it's a little bit further forward giving you a shallower incline when winching. otherwise like jeff said, mine doesn't rest on the rear roller either (skids).

As Eug has said,moving that second last roller in front of the cross beam is all it needs Ray otherwise move the boat and winch post back a bit until the keel sits on that roller.

Then a set of skids with good Teflon is all that is needed or throw away the skids and use some wobble rollers.

As Eug has said,moving that second last roller in front of the cross beam is all it needs Ray otherwise move the boat and winch post back a bit until the keel sits on that roller.

Then a set of skids with good Teflon is all that is needed or throw away the skids and use some wobble rollers.

you don't want rollers on aluminium it causes dents

Archived