Offshore charter?

Dell

Hey Guys,

My bro and his mates wana go off on a charter for a day in june and they're not sure who to go with. I personally haven't been on many charters offshore so I thought i'd pop the question here. Who do you reccomend and why? any good or bad experiences and charters to avoid? Do any companies do a special deal for afo members?

cheers

I have been on several different charters. I don't think there are any 'bad' one out there, although I wouldn't bother with BK Charters out from the Gold Coast simply because they refuse to speak with anyone on the phone. They will only ever text you. It took me 6 text messages to book in, instead of one phone call. I repeatedly called and left messages asking for a phone call, not a text, I even texted saying I don't want to do this by text message. The result was simply another text asking when do I want to book for. grrr

The actuall fishing was great and an awesome day on the water. Just frustrating that a phone call seemed all to hard for them.

I have been on several different charters. I don't think there are any 'bad' one out there, although I wouldn't bother with BK Charters out from the Gold Coast simply because they refuse to speak with anyone on the phone. They will only ever text you. It took me 6 text messages to book in, instead of one phone call. I repeatedly called and left messages asking for a phone call, not a text, I even texted saying I don't want to do this by text message. The result was simply another text asking when do I want to book for. grrr

The actuall fishing was great and an awesome day on the water. Just frustrating that a phone call seemed all to hard for them.

His wife does the bookings. Had the same trouble, your just lucky you didn't try to do it by email. She never reply's even when trying to book the whole boat.

The fishing usually goes pretty good. Always come home with a good feed.

I dont remember who the AFO crew used for a gold coast social a fair while ago but it was aaaaaaaaaaaaaverage. I am sure someone will remember.

Then there was a Noosa charter a while ago where I got my PB snapper but it was about the only fish caught between 20 people.

I also did Tomcat from Scarbs for a lot of undersize and just legal squire.

My charter experience is poor.

How many guys are there?

As previously mentioned Warwick has a smooth rig and usually bags a few snapper.

My best success has been with "Tugger Charters" but its hard to get a booking :P

Angus

Hey Dell,

My bros and I only go out with the following charters

Sunshine coast = Smithy's charters out of mooloolaba(cant recommend him enough, always tries his best and when I can get out with him always have a great time he takes 4 on his new boat comfortably 0407 574 868)

Redcliffe = Firebird or incredible charters

Tweed = RU4reel

Gold Coast in shore - Thomas from Coastal Sportfishing 0412 691 929 (have caught fish with him you dream of catching off shore ie 1m + Jew, Kingfish, snapper & GT's)

Happy fishing cant wait for the report

Cam

I dont remember who the AFO crew used for a gold coast social a fair while ago but it was aaaaaaaaaaaaaverage. I am sure someone will remember.

Then there was a Noosa charter a while ago where I got my PB snapper but it was about the only fish caught between 20 people.

I also did Tomcat from Scarbs for a lot of undersize and just legal squire.

My charter experience is poor.

How many guys are there?

As previously mentioned Warwick has a smooth rig and usually bags a few snapper.

My best success has been with "Tugger Charters" but its hard to get a booking :P

Angus

Was it Out There Charters? or something like that?

(my apologies if it isn't) but damn that was very ordinary!

Search the forums here for Outthere Charters.... deplorable form.

I still crack up everytime I see the picture of Ellicat at the helm cause the skipper was 'otherwise engaged' and with no decky on the boat.

Sea probe charters are a mob I use regularly they are great guys and chase what's on at different times of the year and they do mixed charters where you make up the numbers , usually 8 people on a 36 ft black watch and my second choice would be Fish The Deep Matt is another good operator as far as I have heard . Sea probe leave from the sundae bridge call them on 0400312330 and have a look at their site , just google Seaprobe Charters .....Matt

Mate I have booked a day for the boys at work on Big Cat Charters for late may. All dealing so far with them has been very easy.

They bought out tom cat i think or merged. Tom cat a few years back gave me my best day ever. We caught so much there was fish left over at days end.

I've been out on Fish the Deep before and found them to be a great service. They put us onto some serious fish and catered to all levels of fisho. I had my wife and son with me and we pulled up jew, amberjacks, trag jew, kingies, hussar, and snapper between the 3 of us. The other 7 people on the boat pulled in some good fish too.

The only downside was that it was tough to fish with that many people on the boat; lines kept getting tangled, I had to jockey for position, etc. But I reckon that if you are going to book the whole boat and you know everybody in the group it wouldn't be bad.

post-7727-144598782003_thumb.jpg

Hi Dell, I have been trying to send you a personal message but for some reason not working. I will give you a good price ( I try and help Bfo Members)and hopefully a good day out chasing Snapper in June. Ive sent it to your hotmail address.Let me know if you want any info. Warwick, Buckat list Charters. 0428368316

Hey Dell, I am only a uni student, so i had to choose the cheapest. I only have been to one charter, bk's, for 5 or 6 times. Bob the captain is a great guy as well as his son Chris. I found that whether a charter is good mostly depending on your luck. I caught some good fish with them, 14kg cobia and recently over meter long Spaniard, and almost everytime you can take home some trag jews.

As Aggro said earlier, Marynne, Bob's wife almost reply u only by msg. Luckily, I dont like talk on the phone, so I always love to send msg to book. So it didnt bother me at all. But as other said, yeah, fishing with them was pretty good.

To be honest I'd give BK a miss Dell. Tourist trap and unless the pelagics are in season the likely targets are undersized jew, rats and scorpion cod.

Shoulder to shoulder fishing and everyone fights for the big rod out the back when it goes off, tangles galore with all the anglers (not my idea of fun). The gear they provide is in dire need of servicing and they hit the inshore reefs twice a day everyday (you'd make it out in your boat on a good day) for a number of years now. Rude charter who likes to drift across other rec anglers lines/berley trail when at anchor.

My two cents in experiencing them both on board and in my own boat.

Archived