Help me catch a bream on a lure PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

jgarner447

Hey guys , well i have lately become interested in stalking bream, this is proving to be a challenge for me, ive been fishing at the north end of the hornibrook bridge landbased as im told this is a good spot, im using a 7 foot Tcurve XL 2-4kg rod with a symeter 2500 loaded with 4lb fins and im using 6lb mono as a leader, ive tried various hard bodys and soft plastics , using 1/8 and 1/12 weights , hidden weights also but still have failed every time lol please give me some tips on how to better my chances, best tides and times to catch them ? or if there is another secret spot around redcliffe give me a hoy lol

thanks guys

Jase

try downsizing your leader even more to 2 or 3lb. You can also try using fluro straight through on your reel. If your tageting bream specifically, downsize your jighead to anywhere from 1/28 - 1/40 depending on the current and depth of water you are fishing. Tides are not too important for bream you can catch them anytime.

Good luck

Come to the Bream social on the 29th and try and get yourself a decky spot with a bream luro, watching someone who knows how to do it and picking peoples brains in person is the way to go :)

I love 3lb leader :) I used to literally be scared of this for bream but with a well set drag 3lb is suffecient for a lot of bream.

I know there is more to it than weight of fish (bites offs, rub offs etc) but 3lb is still what roughly 1.5kg which would be a monster local bream.

As Ant said above mate, come to the bream social. Beg and deckie spot. This will always be the superior way to learn. Forum posts are awesome as they gee people up but we have always tried to run this site as a "community" so whats discussed on the forum can be translated into actual practice, hopefully with some of the guys that gave the advice!

Angus

Mate, I will take you out for a run on our boat if you want? I am away overseas until first week of May, but after that if you are keen to drive down to the Coomera River I can show you how to target them on surface, plastics and hard bodies.

We have had great numbers come back into the system over the last few weeks and it should get alot better if the flooding rains hold off, we got 13 on surface in the middle of the day on Friday and before getting rained out on Saturday we had similar numbers in less than 2 hours, so your bound to get a couple if all goes well.

I've never fished the hornibrook so can't comment on location but first thing to do is change over to flouro leader. Unless you're going topwater, flouro only. It'll help.

Best tip for bream on artificial? I can almost guarantee bream on surface if you go at sunrise and fish any of the canals and cast around and behind pontoons. Bubble pop 35's, px45's, Sammy 65's, bent minnow.... almost anything surface <100mm. You can go bigger if you want.

After that, slow roll and pause hardbodies around any rocky stuff. Walls, rubble grounds, submerged walls.

I've never fished the hornibrook so can't comment on location but first thing to do is change over to flouro leader. Unless you're going topwater, flouro only. It'll help.

Best tip for bream on artificial? I can almost guarantee bream on surface if you go at sunrise and fish any of the canals and cast around and behind pontoons. Bubble pop 35's, px45's, Sammy 65's, bent minnow.... almost anything surface <100mm. You can go bigger if you want.

After that, slow roll and pause hardbodies around any rocky stuff. Walls, rubble grounds, submerged walls.

thanks mate, some helpful ips there,ok i bought some 4lb flouro ...i also have some sammy 65's , r2s bubble pop 45s and some other popper style lures i use on bass might give those a go :)

here's the proof

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh0WYTML0vQ

I will give you a yell in a few weeks then and sort something out.

I will confuse you even further though in regards to leader weights though as in my opinion that is not your problem. I never fish a lighter leader than 8lb, and I always fish mono. Where you cast your lure, the type of lure and your retrieve is much more important than leader weight (within reason, you wont catch a bream on 50lb). Lets not forget these things have hooks hanging off them, if a 6lb leader will put them off the bite then surely a highly visible hook and ring will.

I will confuse you even further though in regards to leader weights though as in my opinion that is not your problem. I never fish a lighter leader than 8lb, and I always fish mono. Where you cast your lure, the type of lure and your retrieve is much more important than leader weight (within reason, you wont catch a bream on 50lb). Lets not forget these things have hooks hanging off them, if a 6lb leader will put them off the bite then surely a highly visible hook and ring will.

Awesome mate, cant wait ..... im really struggling to target this species on lure lol , After Do$tylz tips last night it got me all excited to go target them so i got up at 5:30 thismorning, grabbed my gear, walked out the door....and pissin down with rain ... but i went anyway, went and tried throwin some lures in the canals at newport,i threw bubble pop 45s , cicadas , scumdogs, sammy 65s, atomic Hardz 38s and a blade..... not even a hit or a follow ....ahhhhh im useless :)

hey glenn where did you get that jack, nice one mate

:cheer: That was off my boat at the start of this season, might show the spot when I take you out mate...

HELL YESSSS.....ive never caught a jack :)

Not a great deal of jacks left in the system now (not of that quality anyway), you might get lucky, we got 2 pups on Saturday while casting surface lures for bream, if you get real lucky you might get both species.

type of leader isn't your problem.. but I'm a firm believer of increasing your chances. If changing your leader for flouro adds 5% to your chances of catching a bream, it's worth it. Making those small incremental changes to add 5% eventually adds up.

Newport canals... I haven't fished it... but I'm guessing same rules as any canals. First thing in the morning put your casts behind the pontoons as close to the edge as possible and bring your lure so that it comes back as close as possible to the pontoon. If you're using a walker, walk if for 1-2m and pause. up to 10 seconds. Then repeat. For a popper - personally I make heaps of tiny pops (no big ones) for about 1m-2 and pause. repeat again.

It would have been tough in the rain, but keep alert and listen out for bream "kisses". You can hear them most mornings sucking littke prawns and other stuff off rocks and pontoon edges.

Awesome mate, looking forward to it

hey glenn where did you get that jack, nice one mate

:cheer: That was off my boat at the start of this season, might show the spot when I take you out mate...

HELL YESSSS.....ive never caught a jack :)

Not a great deal of jacks left in the system now (not of that quality anyway), you might get lucky, we got 2 pups on Saturday while casting surface lures for bream, if you get real lucky you might get both species.

It would have been tough in the rain, but keep alert and listen out for bream "kisses". You can hear them most mornings sucking littke prawns and other stuff off rocks and pontoon edges.

i think i actually did hear this sound a few times, thought something may have been having a go at my lure but never saw any bumps or felt something, i may give tomorrow morning another crack if i can get up at 5:30am again lol

so i got up at 5am again today and went to try my luck again, as always ... luck was bad, i was out for 4 hours and started with a popper in the canals, after 30 min i got bored with the popper, tied on a sammy 65 , haha that was just a joke, can i get this walk the dog thing goin .... not a chance in hell lol so i quickly replaced it with my atomic hardz and used it for the rest of the session, i did hit right in close to the rocks but pretty sure it was a small rock cod as i saw one chasing my lure... i took a few pics of where i tried today so you can tell me if im at the right locations

post-9836-14459878329_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598783302_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598783311_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598783321_thumb.jpg

post-9836-14459878333_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598783339_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598783349_thumb.jpg

Hey mate if I may throw my 2 cents worth in here... Be patient, it'll happen and when it does your confidence will improve and more will follow. Take what you know and what you've bee told then mix it up. You just need to crack the code for the day!!!

Cheers

Freshy

were you throwing out into the middle or along the wall? If it were me i'd be paralleling the wall with hardbodies on a high tide. More wind would equal more bites as the fish aren;t as spooky when there's some ripple on the water.

^^ agreed for picture 1,2 and 3.

at very first light I'd even attempt topwater stuff but hardbodies like an sx-40 or crackjack will do the job. Slow rolling is what caught me my first bream on artificials.

the last 2 pictures wouldn't be my first pic to fish for bream, but I wouldn't rule it out for having a randomn good day.

pics 2 and 7 look the best to me. In pic 2 try plastics like armour shads or gulp shrimps and cast out next to the bridge pilons. Something like a 1/28 jighead should do. In pic 7 try shallow diving hardbodies and get them as close to the reefy structure as possible. Try atomics, crackjacks etc..

I know the spot in pics 1 and 2, get down to the waters edge and cast along the submerged rock wall with suspending hardbodies and bring it back with a slow retrieve and lots of pauses. The locals reckon there are plenty of good cod and a few jacks in there as well so expect to be bricked on the bream gear a few times. Keep at it early and you'll get them, as the sun gets up you'll find they retreat under the boats and pontoons that are unreachable by foot.

Well i went out today full of confidence with my new lures and flouro carbon, i started of fishing the canals with not much success, it had been an hour and not a hit, then all of a sudden i watched 2 40cm+ bream follow my lure almost all the way in to the shore,:eek: :eek::eek: ... i threw out about 15 more casts and nothin.... so was spewin, changed lure over to a atomic shad and first cast , a baby flatty..... moved to another spot, changed over to a crank again and i picked up a baby moses perch lol then lost a lure on a snag, dam 4lb leader ...... was almost ready to give up when i thought id try this spot in scarborough my mate recommended to me, so i rocked up there and 4th cast .....BANG........my first bream :) managed to get an old granny walking by to take a pic with my phone lol a few more casts and nothing, so i went a bit further up to a spot i tried the other day and BANG..... a small rock cod ......few more casts and i had my second bream :) so all pretty much exciting stuff ..... finally ive gotten what i have been targeting.....:) still got heaps more to learn tho but here are some pics :)

post-9836-144598785187_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785197_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785204_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785213_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785219_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785226_thumb.jpg

post-9836-144598785233_thumb.jpg

Well done Jase :cheer: it's great to see someone taking on board all the advice given and persisting with it until they succeed, they'll start to come pretty easy now. Did you take note of the retrieves that worked and any other factors that might have helped?

too be honest i think i was just too excited that i actually finally got one, pretty sure it was just a super slow roll

Archived