Hairy's are back

youngy

I have caught hundreds of these critters and they are good fun to target and easy to catch once you know how.

They generally congregate in the deepest part of a hole.

You need about 300mm of wire and a set of 5/0 3 gang hooks baited with a pillie.

We used to put a small ball sinker on top of the gangs and a stainless ring that you can get your finger through between the wire trace and the main line.

You need to fish your bait about 1.5 off the bottom as they swim vertically and their first run is a very slow but weighty run. You need to have your reel out of gear and let them take the first run without resistance until they stop.

They will have a short pause as they swallow the bait and then have another slow run.

It is on this second run when you give them about a meter then strike really hard to set the hooks into their bony top jaw.

Then when you get them to the surface you grab the leader in one hand and grab them around the neck behind the head and hold on tight.

Feed them head first into an esky and shut the lid.

This method is tried and tested and works every time.

Good Luck

I have caught hundreds of these critters and they are good fun to target and easy to catch once you know how.

They generally congregate in the deepest part of a hole.

You need about 300mm of wire and a set of 5/0 3 gang hooks baited with a pillie.

We used to put a small ball sinker on top of the gangs and a stainless ring that you can get your finger through between the wire trace and the main line.

You need to fish your bait about 1.5 off the bottom as they swim vertically and their first run is a very slow but weighty run. You need to have your reel out of gear and let them take the first run without resistance until they stop.

They will have a short pause as they swallow the bait and then have another slow run.

It is on this second run when you give them about a meter then strike really hard to set the hooks into their bony top jaw.

Then when you get them to the surface you grab the leader in one hand and grab them around the neck behind the head and hold on tight.

Feed them head first into an esky and shut the lid.

This method is tried and tested and works every time.

Good Luck

or a fresh yellowtail fillet on a circle hook

• 1 month later...

They have been around for a couple of months near sundale bridge etc, So I guess they are going to hang around, The last one I saw caught there about 4 weeks ago was 1.7metres, so it was a seriously big and nasty looking critter.

Archived