Just Installed a NextG Antenna - Testing tomorrow

crazywalrus

for those that are interested. I went out to Shallow Tempest today and tested the mobile. Without the Antenna I had intermittent 1 bar of reception with manly no service. As soon as I put it in the dock I had a solid 3 bars of service and a good data service. Yipee I can work anywhere now.

I didn't know Iphones worked on Next G, so there's a bit of info for me.! (Mention Apple, and I run a mile)

What I'll be interested in hearing how it goes long term. With the old analogue phones, a mate in the know told me the main problem with them on the water was the distance caused the tower to time them out, not that the signal strength was poor. So with a bigger aerial your experiences with reception might tell me if that is an issue with the digital service. (despite telstra's etc claims, the range of std digital phones is much less than the old analogue ones)

How do you connect to the aerial Ted? Is it paired to one phone device ie use a pin to access

The arial or can any device connect to it in range ?

The antenna connects to a iphone dock which charges and has a passive antenna connection. I sill be using a bluetooth headset to answer calls. I will also setup the iphone hotspot so I can get data on a tablet or laptop for work. not perfect but pretty good for an open centre console.

Archived