Bar Crossing Bill Corten

Malcolm

u know people used to learn how to cross bars from there mates or joining a volunteer group like the coast guard or air sea rescue, etc.

I know Davo but i cant go enough

I hope gain a lot of experience in just one day as we will be going in and out of the bar all day.

Was very good, we went in and out of the three channels all day, incoming and outgoing tides.

Got heeps of time behind the wheel and he had us going thru parts of the bar that you would not normally go just to show how you can get in and out of trouble.

Had us driving into the worst of the pressure waves on the outgoing tide.

So every scenario was covered.

There is a couple of pics but they don,t do it justice.

post-1567-144598786994_thumb.jpg

post-1567-144598787009_thumb.jpg

post-1567-144598787025_thumb.jpg

post-1567-144598787034_thumb.jpg

we got a good bar crossing course with Lance today (Aussie 123) had a wave come over Xpectation with Zano at the helm, crossing had gone fine with tugger, mick fillet and tuggers mate in front of us, and Ted behind us, and this thing just stood up, crashed over the bow, bent bimini, all of us got saturated ( I had water in my shoes) and the anchor got washed out of the well and into the drink. Luckily Zano saw this, Lance and I got up the front and began to retrieve,then zano motored slowly to get us over the crest of the next one with me and Lance still out the front as there was no time to get back and we didn't want the hatch open. Zano did very well, and I was surprised how a relatively trouble free and easy crossing turn bad so quick.

awesome stuff Mal. there some cool pics as you said the pics dont really show the severity of the crossing yesterday.

sounds like a really great coarse as you can never stop learning (as some people say yeah they know it all well your a fool)

just wondering Mal how in depth in knowledge did Bill dish out? did he talk about seting the boat up prop selection,depth of the skeg etc. or was it focused on reading the bar,weather paterns,time and tide hieghts etc

cheers Mick

gday Mick

It was mainly weather,tides,swell size and direction and navigation we did talk about my boat a fair bit props ect but mainly what what he thought mine could handle in the same conditions BTW he reckons I'll have no troubles in mine as long as I don't try and get out or in as quick as the bigger boats.

Im going to do this course in a few weeks.

Any one else keen on doing it with me?

Its not im confident with my boat. I need to learn the other channels and how to get out of trouble if it ever came.

I have learnt alot from going with Mark and following him out.

Shane

Archived