Double hook up on big snapper

tugger

Headed offshore with Callum and Shane from AFO today in search of some unstopables in my favourite spot, the showers had all gone today and the bay was flat. Got to the bar and crossed without a hitch outside was good till we got close to point lookout where it got a bit choppy.

Fishing was slow so we moved a few times picking up the odd small snapper in each spot till we settled in our final postion. We had a live trevally out for a good hour or so till it got hammered but the hook broke off on a suspected big spanish mackerel.

I had a packet of frozen slimie mackerel that we floated out next which didn't last long when it went off and i landed the first good snapper in the box going 69cm. Another lost spanaird went off on a slimie but it also snapped the hook off.

Callum put a slimie out on his gear after he saw the results and it lasted even less time out there before it was smashed giving him curry on his 20lb line. He soon brought it close enough to see it was a nice spanish mackerel

post-4390-144598783439_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598783448_thumb.jpg

Callum was quickly becoming the man landing anther big fish with a spangeled emporor hiting the deck he also had some unstopables visit along with a small parrot for the box.

More slimies got deployed on each rod and mine went off again fairly quickly and callum said that he was backing in a double hook up and seconds later he was on to with the both of us battling good fish Callums snap at 85cm and his new PB then mine at 83cm

post-4390-144598783453_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598783458_thumb.jpg

Shane was next on the board a another brute going 75cm and the box was looking heathy

post-4390-144598783415_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598783463_thumb.jpg

The weather just kept getting ordinary so we called it a day and headed of with lots of filleting in front of us

post-4390-144598783469_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598783474_thumb.jpg

post-4390-14459878348_thumb.jpg

PS all big snapper were taken on my wire rigs in case the spanish took a liking to them

What a sensational day, can really add much to the report apart from,,, i spent most of the earnly morning fighting my bail arm over while float lining with egg beaters, a few occasions the bait arm won and i got bricked before i could apply any force.

For the record lance, my charter special i spoke to you about a good 3 months ago is turning out to be a real brute battler! whoppa stoppa MKii

thanks mark great day mate and good fun filleting too!

IMG_1068-1.jpg

IMG_1029-1.jpg

P1010540.jpg

P1010536.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Callum

well done Tugs and crew. Yeah the bottom of the bay must have been a lot better than the top. Even Bribie passage was a wash as we came back in. I am glad we decided to head off when we did. It blew up to 25knots with bigger gusts just after we left.

That is some great fish there, no wonder you where excited on the phone. Looks like winter is looking good.

Thanks again Mark for taking us out.

What a day it was. Photos dont do justice on the fish

Again i learnt alot (snapper dont mind wire)

I cant wait to go back out there and try my luck again

Callum enjoy the mojo while you can haha cause this weekend is going to be different :whistle:

Shane

Not a diferent bay but a diferent part of the bay with the southerlies you can use the islands for a better run which made it flat for us all the way out and on the way back in

Bay was flat?

You must of been in a different bay to us

Hope you made the most of the burley I was sending you

You got to use wire trace or else they won't go near it :whistle:

Well done fellas. Some very respectable fish there. INterestingly couldn't get any snapper of size at shallow tempest today.

True that !! :woohoo:

Anyone got any 2lb wire and can explain to me how to tie a wire to braid knot for my 3" armpit shads :silly: :silly:

Amazing session there fellas, - Callum look like you had a cracker day mate well done

Callums on fire atm. He caught his first school mackerel last week, hooked on to a long tail tuna, got his first brisbane river jew, also lost a big jew, got his pb snapper n got a big spanish.mackerel.

Wheres all the good mojo coming from callum :P

Amazing session there fellas, - Callum look like you had a cracker day mate well done

Callums on fire atm. He caught his first school mackerel last week, hooked on to a long tail tuna, got his first brisbane river jew, also lost a big jew, got his pb snapper n got a big spanish.mackerel.

Wheres all the good mojo coming from callum :P

Fishing with the right people bro!!!!! You've been teaching me well!

Hey don't forget the 64 cm chinaman!!!!!

Archived