Live wells

STU

Thinking about pulling my finger out and goimg in some of the bassin series or ABT comps but need 60ltr livewell I have one of those gladiator colapsable livewells but was thinking of using something more sturdy like an esky with airator dont want to spend big dollars on installing proper plumbed livewell so any tips would be great?

Stu,

I will be watching this thread too as I am thinking of doing something similar. Got talking to a guy a little while back and he had one of those clear plastic tubs with the lid that lock both ends. He had cut out a decent slot in the centre of the lid and lined the opening with a piece of split garden hose. Ran an aerator in there and worked a treat. With the hole in the lid cut in the middle it also stopped any 'slop over' of water when travelling around too.

Booty this is the one I have just took the photo I think this all I need might get a new one since the zippers are stuffed been sitting around for a while but it does say for ABT tourniment use on the side and it has pocket on the side for airator and the lid zips open with another mesh zipper lid with velcro hole in the top middle top put fish through without opening it right up.I wiil bring it this saturday so you can have a look. [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/101_0796_AFO.jpg

post-1103-144598422592_thumb.jpg

Hard to go past an old 60 or 80 litre esky.

True live wells with the pumps and everything are both expensive and hard to install properly. If water pumps in faster than you either pump or drain out it gets very interesting!

Brian's setup is a class act. 80 litre esky, bilge pump on a lead, and a couple of metres of hose.

Drop bilge pump in esky, pump water out. Drop bilge pump over side, pumps water in. Quick and easy. Whitworths got 450GPH bilge pumps for under $20 at the moment. Do it every hour or so and a surecatch aerator in all the time, keep the fish going all day!

I have 2 stacka boxes plumbed underneath a custom floor I have made myself. I will try and remember to take some pics tomorrow.

It runs off the existing live bait tank pump into a rack of 4 taps. One for the livewell one for the live bait tank one for an esky and the other is a deck wash. Have yet to really test out the whole setup but the live well works well.

I made it out of bits and pieces we had in the work shop so I can't really give an estimate of cost but it wouldn't be too expensive.

I read somewhere that for the ABT if the live well is above the floor then it needs to be insulated. I have a plumbed (w/out pump) 85L Ice kool esky I may consider selling in the future. I will post in here if I do decide to sell.

Terry

Archived