Hello all, new to the site, any tips for Jew's in the pine?

Chrisothefisho

Stumbled across your site whilst doing some general research on the Web about fishing. Awesome site, and the forum threads have been very entertaining...got to love banter between avid fishos.

Anyways a mate of mine has told me about the Jewies he's been catching in the pine river. Seen a couple of happy snaps of them too, nothing too huge but they are Jewies all the same. Haven't caught one before myself, but I am hoping to change all that. Any tips in trying to catch one? Baits, lures, tides etc....any information would be much appreciated.

Fish the slack water and find deep holes. You would be better hitting the Brisbane river for a Jew as only babies generally are pulled from the pine. Why don't you ask this 'mate' for some info? Or have a look at his pics again and try to find a something in the background and look for that spot in the river

hey bud welcome to the site :) i fish the piney alot, if you sound around the highway bridge up to the wreck near the red becon you should find some holes, i always get em at night on live baits when the tides slowing to turn, you can follow moon phases but i just go when i can, two biggest were 75cm all the rest smaller, just gotta try your luck and see what happens, cheers :P

Hi Guys thanks for your replies much appreciated.

Thanks for the insight Dunney. Yeah my mate is a little cloak and dagger about where abouts he's been catching them. Happy to let me know they were caught in the pine though...that narrows it down a bit! From what I remember about the pics he showed me, there wasn't any bridges to be seen just mangroves. He did say that he was trawlling a lure or two whilst giving his pots some time to soak. So might be further up stream. As for the larger Jews...well I'd be happy just to tick it off the list for starters.

Woody thanks for the heads up on the bridges, will definately give that a try

Enormoss cheers for the welcome, and thanks very much for the info. ps know what you mean about going out when you can. Getting all those conditions lined up and being able to go aswell is like the earth, moon and venus all lining up.

Thanks reel mate, haven't fished up that way before, but always keen to check out a new spot.

• 2 weeks later...

hey bud i know the pine really well. i use to work for bears boat hire b4 it closed down. best bit of advice is dont go to the pine lol. go to brissy river i have been fishing it hard for the past month and it has been firing on all cilenders. and with the full moon this weekend its the time to chase jew. however if u are content on fishing the pine heres some tips. fish NIGHT and fish live bait. if u put your boat in at deep waters bend boat ramp head towards the pine rivers bridge fish in the middle of the 2nd and 3rd pillon on the port side of the river (left).there is a big hole here. use your sounder and u will see it clear as day. as i sad b4 fish night, the bridge will have lights on the top for the road. the bridge will put a shadow on the water. u want to put your baits right at the edge of this line as bait fish school around the light. dew will shoot out from the shadows of the bridge to ambush the baitfish. i cannot express how inportant this line is. jack,bream,threadfin and flathead all sit around this line. goodluck and tight line

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate!!

I was down the Pine last Saturday night and on the run out tide (right at the bottom of it) the Jewies were all you could catch.

Granted the biggest one i boated was only about 35cm i am pretty sure i lost a big one that may have pushed the legal size. (didn't tie my knot right :angry: (noob error) but anyway))

I was just near the boat ramp at dohles rocks in some deep water there.

Good Luck :cheer:

Mic

Hi mate!!

I was down the Pine last Saturday night and on the run out tide (right at the bottom of it) the Jewies were all you could catch.

Granted the biggest one i boated was only about 35cm i am pretty sure i lost a big one that may have pushed the legal size. (didn't tie my knot right :angry: (noob error) but anyway))

I was just near the boat ramp at dohles rocks in some deep water there.

Good Luck :cheer:

Mic

i had the same a few weeks ago, same tide, middle of the day, 3'' powerbaits, riverside of hornibrook.

biggest of 5 went 55cm.

Archived