Kayak trailer

freedomhawk12

So I have finally got to the attaching stage. I've built a trailer for my kayak to attached to my postie bike.

Hopefully it should have enough to pull it along all good? And yes I'm lazy and refuse to walk anywhere to fish hence the postie bike haha.

So I'll just work out how to attach it to the bike and shall come back with pics if it worked or not?

Here's hoping.

post-9337-144598785568_thumb.jpg

post-9337-144598785577_thumb.jpg

post-9337-144598785588_thumb.jpg

post-9337-144598785597_thumb.jpg

all done and tows awesome.

if you want somthing similar and prep to buy the stuff to build one im happy enough to help out.

its a lean bar when you stand up, not a rollcage. The yak has wings on the back that spley out for stability. Google freedomhawk kayak and you will see.

At a loss about why you built the trailer unless its to drag the thing to a dam on your own property.

Not to really ride on road. More just to the dam and along river. On the bike tracks. Places I can't take the car and too far to walk with the yak

Anyway didn't ask opinions, just offered my time in showing what I'd done and if others might've been interested in a similar thing? Even for a push bike. Made one for a friend who hasn't got a license but wanted to bring his yak up to the north pine from bald hills.

are you allowed to ride a motorbike on bike paths though? If it is illegal you might just want to declare it before putting the idea in other peoples heads. Behind a bicycle, no issue, but a motorbike that is not registered in a public place is a different story. Not being a hater, just a realist

Bike tracks using a registered motor bike. Illegal

Unregistered trailer on any public road illegal.

So even if you live less than 100 mtres to the dam and you need to travel on a public roadf from your driveway you have the potential to get fined.

All it will take is someone to take a picture of your rego.

Simple fix is tow it behind a push bike.

freedomhawk12 , anything that you put on this site or any site is asking for opinion's. but I don't really see any bad ones on here, I think the trailer is a great idea if your using a pushy, I don't know how the bike wheels are going to go when doing 100km/h, and I do consider it a hazard as its very low and you will need to make it alot more visible.

Also take into count that when someone gives you there opinion, they are really just helping you and making sure that you don't get into trouble, so I would not really be offended by it.

Before taking this on the road or any path, give the guys a call at racq or Queensland transport and see if they will make it legal to use, if they don't then find out what you can do to make it legal and do it, because if its not legal and you get pulled up, the cops are not going to care, they are just going to book you and make you leave it on the side of the road, it might get stolen or trashed.

Up to you on what you do, as long as you know what could happen.

So according to my friend from the transport dept. a light bar, wheel guards and do a self assesent of the trailer. And I'd be good to go. He actually laughed as told me its better than half the boat trailers out on the road. And suggested to put a flag on it for end of vehicle vision ( but not a requirement)

As for the bike tracks, yep if there is a sign which most councils have no motorbikes, but that's the risk I take when I go down them, I pull over when people are walking and most times I'm going slower than most push bikes, so I figure providing I don't piss anyone off on my travels I should be good most times, but I do run the risk of getting into trouble.

to again say, it was never made to go any type of high speed 50kmh + but it can handle it. I never made it to travel around the city, just around my local fishing spots close to home.

Yes I do this at my own risk!

I am pretty sure the rim/tyre combo needs a speed rating as well.

Booty could give exact dollar and demerit point amounts for riding a motorbike on bike paths, and an unregistered/uninsured trailer on top of that, it would really suck to be you that day. I would buy a bicycle and ditch the motorbike idea, unless you really don't need a drivers licence.

And if being lazy is the reason for the motorbike then you might reconsider the kayak idea and buy an inflatable boat with an electric, which can be stuffed in the boot of the car.

Again, not being a hater, just laying it out for you.

• 2 months later...

How did I miss this thread?

I just googled kayak trailer for motorbike and up popped this thread! I have recently bought a Suzuki GS500F and I am hoping to build a street legal trailer for towing my little yak.

FH have you used this much?

How did I miss this thread?

I just googled kayak trailer for motorbike and up popped this thread! I have recently bought a Suzuki GS500F and I am hoping to build a street legal trailer for towing my little yak.

FH have you used this much?

the only sugestion i can give would be to beef up the frame and use 50x50x3 GAL SHS, buy the smallest axle you can get cut and weld to suit the size of the trailer "totaly legal if done right" small boat trailer tyers you the ones that look like there of a weel barrow and guards, lights maybe a proper hitch at the front

then it would be totaly street legal an toeable behind a car. ive done a few trailers in the past and think this would be better and safer for everyone

Archived