Light Braid Suggestions?

sunnydays

I'm looking to try something new!

I've recently bought a new reel and want to do it justice with some nice light braid, 2-8lb. In the past I've tried frog pe, toray radius, castaway, rock fish, sunline and stren, all of which i've been happy with. But I have a strange desire to put 4lb fireline on it!!!

Any suggestions on what I should spool it with?

post-7718-144598785341_thumb.jpg

I have a PE .6 Toray Seabass (6lb) on my certate and it is a million times thinner, while still being more managable then TD Sensor which came off before it.

The TD Sensor 6lb went to the lip of the spool, the Toray with the same amount of backing line gets to just past the line inside the lip.

And I can't go past Castaway, which I have on my Heartland.

But my next (small) reel will be Toray for sure.

I have a PE .6 Toray Seabass (6lb) on my certate and it is a million times thinner, while still being more managable then TD Sensor which came off before it.

The TD Sensor 6lb went to the lip of the spool, the Toray with the same amount of backing line gets to just past the line inside the lip.

And I can't go past Castaway, which I have on my Heartland.

But my next (small) reel will be Toray for sure.

Not a fan of PE at all! Zero abrasion resistance and expensive, have heard good things about toray though worth a look I guess ;)

20 bucks!

That's defs a bonus.

I remember one night up at 9 Mile Beach (North of Rocky) it was blowing 20+knots, but me in my enebriated state still decided that fishing would be an awesome idea at night, in the dark, with strong wind while drunk to go fishing.

First cast and it all went wrong. Half a spool of Castaway PE gone :(

Maybe I'll give fire line a second chance some time....

Hey mate,

I just spooled my 2500 stradic with 4lb Nanofil (relatively new product) and absolutely love it. Casts further than braid, its stronger, no memory, dosen't knot up or twist in the wind. Highly recommend it if your keen to try something new. Not that cheap however.

Cheers,

Joycey

I have power pro in 8lbs on my Caldia 2000 and I'm very happy with the stuff (got it in red from the US) but I also have some 10x10 Varivas on my 2500 and that stuff is sooooo smooth, soft and silky but it is a bit more expensive (4x the price of Power pro or Fireline)

Shortie wrote:

varivas.

Or try flourocarbon straight through

Yeah I'd like to give varivas a go, maybe that bass hard stuff. Only thing with the supple PE's for me is that the leader knot can sometimes slip. Also, if I have to use a heavier leader for any reason (like fishing in areas that light gear normally shouldn't be used!) the leader knot gets caught on the guides and the softness of the braid allows it shoot past the knot causing all kinds of mischief!

I've got a spare spool with 3lb fluoro straight through. Not a huge fan to be honest.

Thanks! :)

Archived