Got my pots, bought a dinghy, ready to go crabbing...

pcwpcw

Troops,

Need a favor, new at this crabbing game. Went crabbing with a mate during a fishing trip the other week over at Coochie, and Iam hooked. I've come back, bought a boat, bought some pots, and ready to go.

I live in Toowong, so Iam keen to go over this side, on the Brissie River. I've been told that Karana Downs area you can usually get full pots of muddies...

Can anyone else steer me in the right direction for good muddie spots?

Adam

thats an old wives tail month with a r in it.....u will get sandies right up to early june...the sandies have just come on thick inthe last few weeks...also the muddies are in huge numbers in the brissy river.mate went yesterday 4 pots 2hr soak for 6 good keepers and a few keeper but empty muddies thrown back...not sure where you blokes crab but maybe you should try outside the bath tub

thats an old wives tail month with a r in it.....u will get sandies right up to early june...the sandies have just come on thick inthe last few weeks...also the muddies are in huge numbers in the brissy river.mate went yesterday 4 pots 2hr soak for 6 good keepers and a few keeper but empty muddies thrown back...not sure where you blokes crab but maybe you should try outside the bath tub

Totally agree rosco Im still finding plenty of muddies and sandies around. Luckily the muddies have been really full but to check if they are full or not where is the best place to press/squeeze to test, will they just be soft all over? Havnt come across any yet....

mate normally just under the side of the shell where u measure them...just push on the under side it will be easy to push in if empty...will take a pic when i get 1 to show the spot ..bit hard to explain

I get what you mean, but a pic would be great also and great reference for others

cheers mate

• 1 month later...

roscoe1974,

I believe the reason why the people stuck with the rule "you wont catch crabs in the months without the 'R'" is to give the crabs a break and a chance to recover..and yesh in SEQld they do slow down a bit due to colder water temps.

Chewbacoo

Archived