20 odd kilos of Mary River Cod from the yak

PlasticFantastic

Okay I wasn't going to put this up as a post for the fear of cropping flack over removing this fish from the water and photographing it but bugger it its a cracker of a catch and I'd love to share it with everyone. Anyhow headed out with a mate today in the hope of landing a few solid Bass after catching a few in the same area on Sunday arvo and today didn't disappoint with good Bass coming in in steady numbers and most of the fish going mid 40`s average and man were these fish fat and healthy and very strong making good runs in the slow current and towing the yak around as they headed for the nearest snag. All my fish were coming in on a tt 1/4 spinnerbait in purple glimmer 12lb leader and 8lb line on a 2-4kg rod great Bass setup but not meant for thumping great Cod. As we were heading back and casting along the way I watched my spinnerbait coming towards the yak when it disappeared in a huge mouth and the call was oh my this can't end well. The fish made plenty of strong runs back to the snags but patience paid off and the fish was landed only just though. A quick photo was taken and the fish put back into the water and was last seen heading back to the snags in good health. My mate reckons it would be nudging close to 20 odd kilos and it sure felt it. It was a great way to spend Anzac day that's for sure.

Cheers

Mark

post-63-144598787472_thumb.jpg

post-5191-144598787458_thumb.jpg

Good on you Mark, Dont be too worried about lifting a fish like that out of the water, They are a very hardy fish and i have been back to the same hole and caught the same fish a couple of weeks later that were that size and bigger. They were Murray's but same same.

Cracker catch and enjoy..... :-)

Congrats mate that's a ripper of a cod, so when's the next trip? :whistle:

I'll be there, thanks for the invite :evil:

automatic invite for you, that Runty character on the other hand :evil: :P

I'll take the spot Runty was gonna have :woohoo:

Archived